4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

new guy /deletes for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy /deletes for 2012

Hello DTR!
I am new to this forum, other than the obligatory lurking off and on for a while now.
I am also fairly new to the world of diesel trucks as well. The truck in my sig. is my first diesel.
Purchased it brand new in 2012.
So far, this site has been my main source to try to learn all about these rigs.
Seems like a pretty knowledgeable bunch in here!
I am in the process of doing deletes. I did read the entire delete thread by Blake, thank you for that.
Here is what I got going on:
RACEMe tuner- installed program to my ECM after some initial nuisance problems. (I was code free before I began)
Turbo back FLO-PRO 4” down pipe and DPF delete back to stock muffler- installed
Have not installed the items below yet. It will be my weekend project.
Sinister EGR/cooler delete kit-
Sinister throttle body delete-
I purchased an A beam gauge pod and a boost gauge and a EGT gauge. Have not installed these yet either.
My question at the moment is with the gauges.
Where is the best place to tap into the intake manifold to read boost? Is there a port somewhere on the stock intake elbow I can use? I don’t see anywhere yet, Or maybe can I tap a 1/8” NPT port into the sinister block-off plate where the EGR was mounted?
For the pressure tubing I was just going to use some 1/8” id white nylon. Unless something better is recommended?
For the EGT probe, does it matter what I use for this ..( eg. Matched to gauge I purchased), or are they all pretty standard ? I have not decided where I am going to put it yet, pre turbo or after.
Sorry if this was too much info. to begin with. Just wanted to give a complete idea of the scope of work I am trying to accomplish.
I am sure I will need to post up additional question once I get all the mods. done.
Anyway thanks for having me.
WARYAK
Old 03-11-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think there are any factory places to put in a boost gauge without drilling and tapping the intake. Using the block off plate is probably your best bet because you can drill and tap it without the chance of dropping any metal shavings into the intake. As for the line to the gauge, the nylon tubing should work just fine. I ran that on my '07 for several years with no issues. Just make sure it is secured up away from anywhere that gets hot.

Most pyro probes should work with pretty much all gauges. If you buy a gauge just ask what type or thermocouple it is meant to use and make sure that matches. the most common types are J (red/white wires) and type K (red/yellow wires) which have similar temperature ranges but are slightly different. I would recommend putting the probe pre-turbo near the back of the engine to get the hottest reading coming off of cylinders 5 & 6. Mounted post turbo will read several hundred degrees cooler than the actual temp out of the cylinders and give you the false idea that you aren't running that hot. You can drill and tap the exhaust manifold with the engine running to prevent any metal from going into the turbo or you can drill and tap the EGR blockoff plate if it isn't already tapped. My H&S egr delete had the port tapped already for their pyro probe. Again, it's easier to drill while its not on the engine.
The following users liked this post:
WARYAKS01 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rollin Coal, thanks for this info. it is just what I needed to get this project finished.

Much appreciated!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Drilling the egr cooler block off plates is easiest, but you won't get an accurate reading since the plates are at the ends. The best place is on your exhaust manifold on top where all your exhaust runners merge together. That way you get an accurate reading of all your cylinders temps. When I drilled mine I put a generous amount of grease on my bit and it caught all the shavings from drilling. I did wipe the bit and reapply the grease a couple times. After I drilled and tapped the hole I used a magnet probe and snooped around in the hole and exhaust manifold for debris and didn't find anything. If you need a visual reference you can look at where the after market manifolds have the ports or I can get a picture for you of where I drilled mine this evening. Good luck man, and welcome to the DTR!
WARYAKS01 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And I just read rolling coals reply.... He pretty much said the same thing!
WARYAKS01 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I run 2 EGT probes on my 2011, one in the rear block off plate and one in the manifold "y" pre turbo, there is 100- 150 deg difference at anything above idle and the one in the "Y" is hotter and spools up much faster so it's reading that much quicker.
WARYAKS01 (03-11-2016)