4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

my discovery

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my discovery

Purchased: 2014 Ram 3500 6.7 Lt cummings diesel Tradesman crew cab. First off i would like to say i like my truck. I purchased it to pull hotshot loads as a business for me and my son, so that being said it is a work truck. It has two 560 amp batteries with a 230 amp alternator. I put a 2000 watt power converter in with the proper gage wiring, hooked straight to the battery on th passanger side. The other mod was a sleeper berth for the back seat area.

When i purchased the truck i noticed the passenger front tire low of air and brought it up to the sales rep he said the would check it out and fix it. Its been over two months and they keep coming up with excuses, I would consider this partly my fault for not being more direct and to polite. The next thing is a pretty big issue and it really reflects pourly on Ram and the dealerships, there is fuses in the power distrubtion box that the dealers have a hard time part numbering them, the most if not all auto parts store don't carry. I found one dealer in two states that got me the fuses, he pulled them from a 2014 power supply box that they sell on the selves. Driving a commcerial vehicle i will get finded if my lights are out. I can not deliver my loads in a timely manner. This is a pis#$% way to take care of the consumer and a slap in the face when they knowingly sell a vehicle to the public knowing the cant buy fuses or have to search states for them. The other dealers had the fuses in tye box on there shelves but d9dnt give me or my position a thought. I feel like such a fool for purchasing said and really i didnt do anything wrong except trust my dealership and Ram.

The third thing is related to the amber engine service light, DEF system, and an RF switch below the rear window. The pre mentioned engine warning light came on along with DEF system service message that flashed several times telling me to take it to the dealer. I took it to the dealer and the said it was the RF switch was bad and they had to replace it, he said it was on order and i could continue to haul freight and the would call me when the part came in. I said so this truck isn't going to shut down on me to 5 mph out on the road? He said no i would be fine. I left and within 10 mile the shut down message came on. I turned around and took it back to the dealer where it has been from the 23rd of December 2013 and is there now on the 27th December 2014. There trying to put the RF switch in this evening and could figure out how to open the rear doors because of the dot sleeper berth installed. Then the told me i was going to have to pay for the fix because of the aftermarket mods. I told him no way the sleeper berth cause a RF failure. He said not it didnt but i was to pay for the extra labor for getting to the RF switch. I said the switch is behind the seat right under the window right. He said yes i said there is nothing block it access and my more made it easer to access. And he said the power converter caused the RF Switch to go bad i said noway its hooked to the battery and has not hardly been used. Buy the way when you purchase a bigger alternator for a truck with two batteries its going to be put to use. This is casting me 1000 dollars a day in revnue and im out business that i cant afford to be losing at the beging of my endeavour with a new truck that i purchased for the reason that it should be more reliable and warrentied to reduce my chances at failure in my small business.

If you know of the fuse part number please let me know, it is a female case type minie fuse 20 and 30 amps. If your reading this to purchase a truck dont buy they do not reconized the need of the owner to get there truck fixed and back on the road. I have also owned fords and they treated me pretty decent but no experience with this type of sitution. Good luck with your truck and my you find a good dealer there hard to find.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I would NEVER wire ANYTHING direct to the battery without a fuse in the circuit. Fuse and fuse holders are pretty cheap at any parts store

As far as the dealer wanting extra money for working on your truck....that is SOP with the dealers any more...they want to get paid by you AND Ram for the same job that's why I don't let them touch any of my vehicles.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My son has been using a 3500 ram almost 365 days a year in the oil and mining patch towing all kinds of trailers from goose to pull behind cargo since the beginning of 2011 he's never blown a fuse of any kind, he's currently driving a 2013. If you are concerned about fuses you might want to consider an in line fuse holder that uses the standard fuse, you could just remove the blown fuse and plugin each end of the wire and add the correct fuse, this would keep you going until you could find the exact replacement one. I have always carried an inline fuse holder with a selection of fuses, never used it yet.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:52 PM

I forgot I picked up a stack of the mini fuses at the beginning of the summer for another truck I was working on, they are available at most auto parts stores here so I'm sure you can get them even easier down there. Part number 30A is omin030.vp. 20A is omin020.vp, for different amperage just change the numbers like 005.vp for 5 amp.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I would NEVER wire ANYTHING direct to the battery without a fuse in the circuit. Fuse and fuse holders are pretty cheap at any parts store

As far as the dealer wanting extra money for working on your truck....that is SOP with the dealers any more...they want to get paid by you AND Ram for the same job that's why I don't let them touch any of my vehicles.

Thank you for responding! I's sorry for the confusion the power supply is hooked directly to the battery with a inline fuse block. I guess that is the practice now a days. I have purchased new vehicles pretty frequently and over the year too, but never experienced this. After accusing me of breaching the warranty and saying it was a simple RF switch it's been 7 days and they want answer questions or talk on the phone.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the Fuse part number of the twenty dealers, and auto parts stores I have went in or searched none hade it not a match. I thank you for getting the part number. the sub micro female case fuse is a mother to find and four dodge dealerships have the same problem.

I just researched the omni0030.p part it's the wrong fuse it is a jcas type that is half the size the dealers and auto parts have. A dealer in north Alabama sold me some spare out of a Power supply box, that was very nice of him. And I will jump the fuse with a wire if need be.

Last edited by dysco123; 12-31-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dysco123
Thanks for the Fuse part number of the twenty dealers, and auto parts stores I have went in or searched none hade it not a match. I thank you for getting the part number. the sub micro female case fuse is a mother to find and four dodge dealerships have the same problem.

I just researched the omni0030.p part it's the wrong fuse it is a jcas type that is half the size the dealers and auto parts have. A dealer in north Alabama sold me some spare out of a Power supply box, that was very nice of him. And I will jump the fuse with a wire if need be.
i would install a circuit breaker
Old 12-31-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by dysco123

You entered one too many zeros and missed out the "V", part number is omin030.vp if you are looking for the "cartridge" fuse P/N the 30 amp is 06102076AA, 20 amp= 06102075AA
Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
You entered one too many zeros and missed out the "V", part number is omin030.vp if you are looking for the "cartridge" fuse P/N the 30 amp is 06102076AA, 20 amp= 06102075AA
Sorry i was in a hurry at the time of previous reply. When i researched the part number i did type in omin030.vp and found that fuse, but when I responded it was from memory and i just hit the high spots. I finally found the fuse the part number is FMM30 FMM20 ect it is the smallest jcas type of fuse on the market and is pretty new.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 AM

Conclusion

I finally heard from the dodge dealership today December 31st 2013. My truck was fixed. I had no out of pocket expense they honored the warranty. They also paid for a rental for me to get around. I was out only twelve dollars on the rental. The diesel mechanic did break my passenger rear door handle on the interior side. Apparently he was unaware of how the new latch and locks worked. He striped the handles threads, I super glued it back together it shouldn't be a problem for the short term.

I thank all the members that commented to assist me on my issues and the advice lead me to new ways to resolve issues on the road and the finding locations to find the illusive FMM20 and 30 amp fuses.