4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Looking to keep my transmission safe, will these mods be enough

Old 03-04-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to keep my transmission safe, will these mods be enough

First post but I have been luring here since I bought the truck last month. I think I have a decent basic idea of what I need to do but I have a few questions.

First how accurate does the vin decoder tend to be, I was pretty sure I had 4.10's but the decoder says 3.73. I know i should have verified at purchase but I got a good deal, was excited and missed a few key points. I was able to pick up a 2012 3500 longhorn DRW in showroom condition with only 11k on it. Pre deletes I was getting about 13mpg highway post about 17mpg at 65mph. This makes sense to me for 4.10s not 3.37. Running the ME JR on fuel economy.

Now the real question: I tow a 16-17k (fully loaded) toy hauler 3X a year for 2,000 mile trips. I want to be able to run the 70hp tune and keep my transmission safe.
I know a torque converter is a must and I am also thinking an ATS copilot. Will these 2 get me through for a year or two until I can afford an ATS or similar built transmission. I say ATS because I would be able to go to their facility to have it installed. I have a CTS monitor to watch the EGT's. I have tried to do searching but i keep coming up with people building these 600hp+ rigs and that is not what I'm looking to do. I just want a reliable tow rig that can handle my trailer in the CO mountains.

Currently leaning towards a suncoast TC because the shop .2 miles from my house carries them and only charges 2 hours of labor.

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikael87
First post but I have been luring here since I bought the truck last month. I think I have a decent basic idea of what I need to do but I have a few questions.

First how accurate does the vin decoder tend to be, I was pretty sure I had 4.10's but the decoder says 3.73. I know i should have verified at purchase but I got a good deal, was excited and missed a few key points. I was able to pick up a 2012 3500 longhorn DRW in showroom condition with only 11k on it. Pre deletes I was getting about 13mpg highway post about 17mpg at 65mph. This makes sense to me for 4.10s not 3.37. Running the ME JR on fuel economy.

Now the real question: I tow a 16-17k (fully loaded) toy hauler 3X a year for 2,000 mile trips. I want to be able to run the 70hp tune and keep my transmission safe.
I know a torque converter is a must and I am also thinking an ATS copilot. Will these 2 get me through for a year or two until I can afford an ATS or similar built transmission. I say ATS because I would be able to go to their facility to have it installed. I have a CTS monitor to watch the EGT's. I have tried to do searching but i keep coming up with people building these 600hp+ rigs and that is not what I'm looking to do. I just want a reliable tow rig that can handle my trailer in the CO mountains.

Currently leaning towards a suncoast TC because the shop .2 miles from my house carries them and only charges 2 hours of labor.

Thanks for your time.
On My truck with stock size wheel 17" my engine RPM's are 1500 at 60 miles and hour with 3:73 gears what is your RPM on the engine?

Now why do you think you need a new Torque Converter for only a 70HP increase?

I am running a Smarty SR67;60HP increase with the 68RFE auto and have pulled a 5er between 11K and 12,5K with no issues. There is another thread on Turbo Diesel Register where a gentleman has put 335,000 miles on his first 68RFE auto when the transmission finally failed; on his 11 he has 210K with no issues. He is a hotshoter that uses his truck for hauling.

I do run a Mag-Hytec pan and keep the fluid temps under 180F when towing this is the most important thing to do heat kills transmission.

Jim W.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread but how do you control the tranny temp? We full-time RV and routinely pull our fiver that weighs in around 14k. Truck is bone stock with 3.73 rear end. I routinely see around 134-140 degrees running empty. Have seen 190 once - was towing the fiver in Mesa in stop and go traffic. Any pointers?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree with Jim, adding an after market deeper finned aluminum transmission oil pan with a drain not only makes oil changes cleaner but lowers oil temps 10 to 12 degrees C. I watch my trans temps constantly while towing especially in the mountains, normal towing was 73c/163f now 58c to 63c/136f to 145f. My EVIC displays Centigrade while the Mini max displays Fahrenheit.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 PM

I have been running my stock 68rfe for the last 2 years pulling a little over 14K loaded and have seen 190 one time in a small N.GA town in traffic up hill and down. Other than that it rarely runs over 160. I have been contemplating the Magtec pan but just have not ponied up with the cash yet.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by BobTipton
Don't mean to hijack the thread but how do you control the tranny temp? We full-time RV and routinely pull our fiver that weighs in around 14k. Truck is bone stock with 3.73 rear end. I routinely see around 134-140 degrees running empty. Have seen 190 once - was towing the fiver in Mesa in stop and go traffic. Any pointers?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob,

The way I control the tranny temperature is to insure that I stay around 180F for the inlet transmission fluid. My probe is in the tank and this is measuring the fluid that is going into the trans. If I see the temperature rising when towing I will down shift from 6 to 5 gear and speed up the engine RPM's this which seems to lower the EGT's and the transmission temps at the same time. But the boost pressure will rise also so I need to what that also to keep this under 35 PSI. I tend to drive watching the engine RPM’s and my installed gauges EGT, Boost and Transmission temps. I know that in 6th gear at 1500 RPMS with 3:73 gears and 17” tires I am doing 60 MPH. So this is why I drive with the tac and gauges instead of the speedometer.

Now it is also important to have a fin AL pan such as the Mag-Hytec pan which also adds 2 quarts of fluid or so. This all helps in keeping the trans oil cool for the transmission.

Jim W.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim W
Bob,

The way I control the tranny temperature is to insure that I stay around 180F for the inlet transmission fluid. My probe is in the tank and this is measuring the fluid that is going into the trans. If I see the temperature rising when towing I will down shift from 6 to 5 gear and speed up the engine RPM's this which seems to lower the EGT's and the transmission temps at the same time. But the boost pressure will rise also so I need to what that also to keep this under 35 PSI. I tend to drive watching the engine RPM’s and my installed gauges EGT, Boost and Transmission temps. I know that in 6th gear at 1500 RPMS with 3:73 gears and 17” tires I am doing 60 MPH. So this is why I drive with the tac and gauges instead of the speedometer.

Now it is also important to have a fin AL pan such as the Mag-Hytec pan which also adds 2 quarts of fluid or so. This all helps in keeping the trans oil cool for the transmission.

Jim W.
Thanks, Jim - that's just the information I was looking for!

Bob
Old 05-22-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim W
Bob,

Jim W.
Jim,

Where did you put the probe for tranny temp? Do you have a picture?

Thanks,

Mc