4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Intake tube replacement

Old 02-11-2012, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake tube replacement

I think the oem air box is pretty good for my low performance needs, but the intake tube is a joke - does anybody make a replacement? I thought I found one once, but don't have a clue now.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:06 AM

Google Cool-it intake.....
Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this:
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/c...-cumminsb.aspx
Old 02-11-2012, 04:42 PM

Found it - thanks guys, your the best.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 PM
tcr

Does anyone have one? I'm wondering if theres a true gain as I've seen as many negative results from pulling the whales tongue as I've seen positive.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 PM

I think the tube's design is the real problem. This cool hose should take care of that problem. The one drawback is the price. For less than twice the price you can get the S&B.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that tube design can not be beat. it is not what you think. the middle is a straightning vane to reduce side shear in the compressor side of the turbo increasing turbo efficiency. get a psm kit and forget it. you can get a small improvement by going to a coolhose and T.A.G. but payback is like 200,000 miles
Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Is there any benefit to removing the foam versus removing everything? What is the downside of removing the tongue on an otherwise stock set up?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by carl48
that tube design can not be beat. it is not what you think. the middle is a straightning vane to reduce side shear in the compressor side of the turbo increasing turbo efficiency. get a psm kit and forget it. you can get a small improvement by going to a coolhose and T.A.G. but payback is like 200,000 miles
Hey Carl, thanks for jumping in.

Have you heard of any of these "whales tongue" devices suffering a breakdown of the foam rubber? Perhaps even more than the restriction, the possibility of that stuff going down the turbo gives my nightmares.

Larry
Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM
tcr

What about pulling the foam and lining the outside of the vented whale tongue w a foil tape, like whats used in a/c ductwork. Or something like it, point being to leave the vanes in for linear airflow yet no baffling?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM

i do not really think that is foam, i have one laying in the shop. i will take it apart and take the foam out and see how it looks. i would not trust foil tape on the inside of the tube but the foil duct insulation on the outside is the way to go. the dimples on the tongue are like dimples on a golf ball they reduce air drag and the foam serves two purposes one a muffler but most important it is insulation to keep the manifold heat from expanding the air. the silencer ring also directs the air into the center of the compressor to reduce side shear. the T.A.G. has a silencer ring built in it for those with aftermarket turbos.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM

So, maybe removing the foam and insulating the tube on the exterior would help?
I know a lot of people argue that the manufacturer's engineering can't be beat, but they are engineering for NVH and cheap/easy production cost. If I can gain performance/economy/reliability with quality aftermarket parts, I'm all in! I used to disregard Banks due to cost and hype, but when you look at their goals and specs, it gains credibility in my book.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 PM

Like most of you, I've had my head under a thousand hoods I’ve been doing it since I could hold a wrench and enjoyed it so much that I studied engineering to understand how and why things work better. Went on to get an advanced degree in physics because I loved things that make a LOT of noise. Yes, I was a rocket scientist. In all my years under a hood, on top of the best missiles our tax dollars could build, inside every machine I could get access to, I have never seen anything to compare to the stock intake. Its like they built the entire truck and suddenly discovered that they had forgot "something".

Sadly, everything I've seen has been a patch, some good, some hardware store level. Mostly they just change materials not the concept of a poor design.

I once saw a pic of a truck motor bay where the filter was clamped to the front of the turbo. Good as far as airflow goes, but poor because of the amount of hot air that would be sucked in. Leave the filter in that position, build an airbox around it and run a tube forward through the place where the current “airbox” bottom is, through the metal there and straight into clean, cool air. None of this S shaped 5-6” tube that needs this other crap in it.

You don’t need straightening vanes if the air is going straight to start with.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM

So, how does the Donaldson PowerCore compare to other filters out there? Flow? Dirt capacity? Does the fact that air flows through the element help laminar flow? Maybe if someone could find test results of multiple similar application filters it would help.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 PM

stargeezer you are off on this one. the idea of the straightning vanes is to remove swurling of air entering the turbo the ring to direct the air to the center, if the air enters on the outside of the wheel some of it excapes the turbine wheel. this is called side shear. little compression is done in this area thus lower compression efficiency. after extensive testing with sensitive equipment the only improvement was the psm kit. before the 5.9 4" filter became available we tested the 6.7 enough that we converted our 5.9's to 6.7 boxes, coolcose and T.A.G. and moved our psm's to the 6.7 boxes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake tube replacement