4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty for 2010

Any news??? Had one on my bone stock 08 dually, absolutely no issues in 60000 miles, my new 2010 is a great tuck but just doesnt quite have it.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM

I finally gave up waiting and got another product (Mini Maxx). I have posts saved from February when they said 2-4 weeks... Now they're swearing that it should be out for the 2010's in September. I really wanted the Smarty but oh well... Stay tuned.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 PM

I'm wondering if Smarty might have a DPF friendly tune similar to what H&S is doing for scaredy cats like myself who do not want to delete anything for awhile.

I got lucky on my 2005 which had lots or mods, but this one I'm a little more reserved so far. These trucks are just getting stupid expensive.

Stock sucks, but at least I know if things mess up, warranty will have to cover.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 PM

I bet the new Smarty 6.7, if / when it comes out for the 2010's will have DPF present tuning. I think they have it on their 2007.5 - 2009 US version.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:31 PM

I hope you're right.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:41 PM

The thing I'm learning is this. For all these devices, if they make more power and more soot before the treatment system by advancing timing and adding pressure, they're going to generate more particulates hitting the DPF. Net result -- MORE regens.

SO even if Smarty or Mini / Black Maxx / XRT have DPF present tuning, there is going to be more regens on the higher power settings.

This begs the question -- Is this inherently bad? Risky? DPF clogging? I don't know. It does drive one to consider just buying a DPF delete pipe but leaving the rest of the exhaust system intact and then just using the DPF removed tunes to stop regens entirely....

I feel that coming on in my case sometime down the road.

But for Smarty 6.7 2010 -- when it does come out -- I bet it will contain DPF present tuning. That would be a surprise if it didn't.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 67guzzler
The thing I'm learning is this. For all these devices, if they make more power and more soot before the treatment system by advancing timing and adding pressure, they're going to generate more particulates hitting the DPF. Net result -- MORE regens.
And that's kind of scary knowing that if you keep the dpf, it's going to clog sooner and need cleaning, which would probably make the dealership snoop around a bit and determine that a programmer caused the premature clogging, possibly canceling warranty.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:35 AM

banned again...really. this is getting stupid
Old 08-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by limpnoodle88
banned again...really. this is getting stupid
Doesn't have to happen if a person just follows the simple forum rules :

"If you purposely register more than one username, all of your usernames will be banned and removed until verbal or written explanation is given to the webmaster."

If you desire a change in user name we will be happy to be of help, all you have to do is ask

There is NO need for ANYONE to be posting in the same thread under two user names as this guy did.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by DirtEater
And that's kind of scary knowing that if you keep the dpf, it's going to clog sooner and need cleaning, which would probably make the dealership snoop around a bit and determine that a programmer caused the premature clogging, possibly canceling warranty.
and why shouldn't the dealer do his due diligence and find out what is causing him to submit a warranty claim?? This attitude that warranty should be granted on engine, drivetrain and emissions components if you start adding power with aftermarket electronics has to disappear from the diesel hotrodders lexicon.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
and why shouldn't the dealer do his due diligence and find out what is causing him to submit a warranty claim?? This attitude that warranty should be granted on engine, drivetrain and emissions components if you start adding power with aftermarket electronics has to disappear from the diesel hotrodders lexicon.
Gotta agree with you Graphitecumnz - but in fairness, I think people are not necessarily expecting to get warranty coverage on components DIRECTLY affected by their "upgrades" - the concern sometimes is that some dealers use the upgrade to void warranty coverage on things not directly related to or affected by the "upgrade". I know myself as I went to a dealer for service after having my '06 lifted, and when I walked into the service dept the advisor immediately (even before saying hello) told me that I had voided the warranty on the truck by lifting it. (that dealer went out of business later - hoorah) But you're right, we shouldn't expect to retain coverage over something we knowingly alter with aftermarket upgrades that can add stress and strain a component isn't engineered to withstand...
Old 08-15-2010, 02:53 PM

I agree too. But I think that what DirtEater meant was that it was a shame that it would start the ball rolling into the dealer looking at EVERYTHING with a closer eye challenging the warranty even on unrelated things. That would be my fear.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:35 PM

I didn't say anything in that short statement that would even remotely convey an "attitude" that warranty should be granted after modifications. Don't jump to conclusions so fast, Sir!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 67guzzler
I agree too. But I think that what DirtEater meant was that it was a shame that it would start the ball rolling into the dealer looking at EVERYTHING with a closer eye challenging the warranty even on unrelated things. That would be my fear.
Thank you!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:39 AM
The Guru

I worry more about all the soot going back into the engine. Just like driving around without an air filter. I think in 4-8years looking backwards, we are just going to shake our heads at what we diesel guys had to live with just to own a new diesel.

I'm fixing my own ride, forget warranty.

Quick Reply: Smarty for 2010