4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How much can it handle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 02:01 PM
RCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the general consensus that it is not worth the price for the average guy that has to pay the bills to push the envelope on the 4th gen engines or transmissions. Neither are very durable, and the price of repairs is stiff.

When Dodge quit importing the diesels down here in Australia because of durability issues, a few firms started doing the wrong side steering conversions and dragging them in anyway.

They are now called SUV's down here, and the S is for "stuffed."
Old 12-25-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bullet112233
Back to my first question, how much boost were you running when the head gasket blew?
I was runing about 30psi max. When the gasket problem first showed up was after a downshift at WOT pulling a heavy trailer uphill engine was turning a good 3500
Old 12-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is why I don't have one... I am not willing to buy a new truck to have to spend another fortune to make it right. I'll keep what I have. Love the new trucks but....
Old 12-26-2011, 01:23 PM

I understand where John is coming from, but I am one of I guess a few people who love their new 6.7L.

Deleted at 25K miles, now at 59,500 miles, and other than a few minor issues, not related to the engine. Key fobs die intermittently, but the only drivetrain issues I've had are 2 junk u-joints, and a carrier bearing.

It does not like the loads we haul, but as long as warranty is covering it, the dealer said they will take care of me. Engine is running like a champ, and the tranny feels as fine as the day I drove it off the lot....almost due for it's second service in another 10K.

Oh, and I'm deleted, but just barely. Unplugged everything, but the EGR cooler is in place, as well as the TV. I also run on the HOT setting on the H&S for DD, and on mild towing the trailer, with the defuel set to come on pretty early at 210* for coolant, and 1300* EGT.

Chris
Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
John

I dont think the problems are with the 6.7 blocks. I think its more so with the rods. Upward of 800hp and they let go and carnage ensues.

But, I dont think this is a 6.7 only issue. Ive seen quite a few 5.9 let go in this fashion. Big Swole is a prime example, and he was running some serious hardware on the bottom end.

All in all it comes down to preference, some of us dont mind putting up with having to modify a 6.7 to get it squared away. All in all, they still are great motors.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
John

I dont think the problems are with the 6.7 blocks. I think its more so with the rods. Upward of 800hp and they let go and carnage ensues.

But, I dont think this is a 6.7 only issue. Ive seen quite a few 5.9 let go in this fashion. Big Swole is a prime example, and he was running some serious hardware on the bottom end.

All in all it comes down to preference, some of us dont mind putting up with having to modify a 6.7 to get it squared away. All in all, they still are great motors.
------------------
Blake, as usual, you and I will just have to "agree to disagree" on these 6.7 blocks! I have personally seen three (3) 6.7 blocks blown completely out right in front of cylinder #1! While you are right that the 5.9 blocks can come apart (i.e. Big Swoles windowed block) I have never seen one let go like these 6.7 blocks and from what I have learned it is from less mass around the cylinders in the 6.7. While I am glad you and my good friend Chris
(signature 600) have had good luck with yours, in my opinion these 6.7's will not last in "modified" conditions as well as the old 5.9 blocks which is what this thread was about anyway. Also, I don't feel that alot of our members could or would want to replace a complete 6.7 long block (at $10,000.00+)
due to adding a box or programmer which technically VOIDS their warranty anyway!

----------
John_P
Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Swole needed some upgraded rods to go with those Monotherms. The added weight of those pistons did him in. Not the first guy to have rod issues in a 5.9 with good 24v rods,but it normally happens around 1200hp or so.

A 6.7 will need rods at over 600hp with also a girdle(Block stiffener) on the mains. Then still, it may not hold together.

Carrillo or Cunningham rods will run you about $3200, just of the rods.

John P is right, the 6.7's are not as mod friendly as the 5.9. I have been reading alot and watching. RonA has a 6.7 building going on now. Guess we will see how his holds up and if he can make it work without exploding.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spooler
Swole needed some upgraded rods to go with those Monotherms. The added weight of those pistons did him in. Not the first guy to have rod issues in a 5.9 with good 24v rods,but it normally happens around 1200hp or so.

A 6.7 will need rods at over 600hp with also a girdle(Block stiffener) on the mains. Then still, it may not hold together.

Carrillo or Cunningham rods will run you about $3200, just of the rods.

John P is right, the 6.7's are not as mod friendly as the 5.9. I have been reading alot and watching. RonA has a 6.7 building going on now. Guess we will see how his holds up and if he can make it work without exploding.
-------------
Exactly right Spooler! Good post Sir!

I know Ron and a few other DTR Members are working on highly modified Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Engines and I wish them well. But from what I have seen, it does not look promising. Like you said, it is also going to be dang expensive! Anyway, when Blake gets his 6.7 engine all done with it's performance upgrades I am going to go find him and see if he can whip my "old smoky mechanical" 96' Dodge CTD 12 valve on the drag strip!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 AM

Well John I think where you are mistaken is where you think that I do not like 12 valve Cummins. This is completely untrue. One of my favorite trucks I ever drove was my uncles 96 3500 Single Cab dually 4x4 NV4500. I LOVED that truck and it was the reason I always wanted a black dually. I have nothing but respect for your truck, and never once stated that I had any intentions of out performing your "old smokey mechanical" 96 in any post I have made. I have no plans to race my truck and Im just doing a build that I have always wanted on a daily driver/tow rig.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Well John I think where you are mistaken is where you think that I do not like 12 valve Cummins. This is completely untrue. One of my favorite trucks I ever drove was my uncles 96 3500 Single Cab dually 4x4 NV4500. I LOVED that truck and it was the reason I always wanted a black dually. I have nothing but respect for your truck, and never once stated that I had any intentions of out performing your "old smokey mechanical" 96 in any post I have made. I have no plans to race my truck and Im just doing a build that I have always wanted on a daily driver/tow rig.
-----------
Take it easy Blake,.....I was just ribbing you some Sir! Sorry if I offended you.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 AM

No offense John

Besides, one day if I ever when the lotto Im gonna buy me a 12v and do a crazy build on it. Then Ill use my 650hp 6.7 to tow it to the track so we can line up....

Old 12-28-2011, 08:37 AM

Blake, be careful with it and if you go too far don't be surprised if a rod goes flying out the back. I hope not for your wallet's sake.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Administrator

No offense John

Besides, one day if I ever when the lotto Im gonna buy me a 12v and do a crazy build on it. Then Ill use my 650hp 6.7 to tow it to the track so we can line up....

------------------
Sounds good Blake! I agree with what Spooler said on your 6.7 though,.......BE CAREFUL with that kind of power level on your new one!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:35 PM

so with all of this that i read is this all true for a 3rd Gen as well?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler_02
so with all of this that i read is this all true for a 3rd Gen as well?
If it is a 6.7, yes. You have to be alot more careful.

Quick Reply: How much can it handle?