4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Rail Shim Kit or Plug---or None

Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Fuel Rail Shim Kit or Plug---or None

Along with the delete kit and tuner my wife got me for my birthday last week, it also has the fuel rail plug from H&S. After doing more reading and research, do I actually need them?

The reason it was bought it was because H&S made it sound like, at least the way I read it, that you would need one of them when running any tunes. So before I really did much more research, I included it on my wish list that I gave to my wife.

From what I found, running the plug "could" be catastrophic unless you have a way to monitor the fuel pressure, which the Black Maxx does. As of right now, I don't plan on doing anything extreme with my truck as it is my daily driver. I have done the deletes and added the Black Maxx. I leave the tune set on Hot as it seems the truck performs better than the other settings.

I have plans to get a fifth wheel, maybe next year and do some towing.

Should I install the plug, exchange it for the shim kit, or just leave it alone?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I recommend leaving it alone. Not that all trucks are the same, but, I have been "DESTROYING" my truck in an attempt to see the strengh and I do not have that kit.

A reliable source told me that on the 2011's it has not been an issue. I do however recommend that you invest in some type of aftermarket fuel pump/filtration system. GDP has an MKII Big Line kit that I put on my truck. That and a Raptor 150 should do the trick. You know how it is, with our trucks all we want is more.

Just my advice.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told by H&S the newer trucks don't need the plugs or shim kit.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 AM

How much newer? 2010+ or 2011+. I will send it back if I really don't need either.

I will say this, when I was pulling our HHGs to Vegas a few months ago, I started noticing when going through the mountains, that it seemed to be losing power at times. I don't know if I was working it too hard (is that even possible being stock at the time) and it was defueling or after researching about the fuel plugs and shim kits if it was releasing pressure. I do know, I do not want that to happen again, if by some off chance we move again (8 years left to retirement). I was only pulling about around 11K lbs. Sometimes it wouldn't lose power and I would pass truckers with ease on the hills.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:47 AM

How much of a loss were you seeing? Was it a sudden loss or just a increased loading due to inclines?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:32 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If your truck was defueling and or in regen you migh have noticed a slight stutter in power but nothing should have been too bad.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 PM

I don't recall how much of a loss, it was just noticeable and thought something was wrong. I thought it was more of a sudden loss at the time, but it could have been due to the increased loading from the inclines. I do know, that when it happened, not matter what I did with the throttle (unless slowing down), even if it was floored, it wouldn't do anything and seemed to lug even more. But on the other hand, I wouldn't have problems and it would pull along just fine.

I am sure it was in regen quite often, but I have no way of telling since my mileage averaged around 11mpg with a low of 9.6 and high of 13.7...the low was probably from the Regen.

I also don't think it was a slight stutter. It was a new experience for so I was use to seeing it, so I very well may be exaggerating the power loss from how I perceived it, verses what was actually going on.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Set up your BM to display ICP and keep an eye on it. If it drops off under heavy load (not counting during shifts) then you may need to shim or plug. If the relief is opening, you should be getting a check engine light too. If not, no need to install it. If you run a TS with your H&S, you will need it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by New2Diesel
If your truck was defueling and or in regen you migh have noticed a slight stutter in power but nothing should have been too bad.

When my buddies 06 with bullydog defuels it is very noticeable. Never had my 11 defuel yet though but would think you should feel it pretty good.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Wyofreeride
Set up your BM to display ICP and keep an eye on it. If it drops off under heavy load (not counting during shifts) then you may need to shim or plug. If the relief is opening, you should be getting a check engine light too. If not, no need to install it. If you run a TS with your H&S, you will need it.

I will keep on eye on that. When you talk about TS, is that the turbo sim or am I off the mark on that?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by redlineguy
When my buddies 06 with bullydog defuels it is very noticeable. Never had my 11 defuel yet though but would think you should feel it pretty good.
I'm starting to think it may have been defueling, however I thought I would have seen other indications such as a CEL or increase in temps on the EVIC. I do know, next time I need to get out the trailer or do any other towing, I have the BM to monitor the perimeters.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:47 AM

TS performance MP-8. Its the fuel pressure box some people like to use. Requires a shim kit or plug.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Ah, I see. I will look into that. Thank you!