Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/)
-   -   EGR Delete - Questions (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/egr-delete-questions-329920/)

dercas 03-05-2018 10:46 AM

EGR Delete - Questions

Ok, so I have recently purchased a 2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins . I did not come with any kind of tuner, but it has had the NOx and DPF removed from the exhaust system. As far as I can tell, it still has all of the EGR system installed. I drove it for about a month with no issues whatsoever. Now, after I took it to the dealer for the "over the steering column wiring" recall, I have a check engine light and a bunch of codes for the O2 sensor and Temp sensors that were disconnected. I have tried clearing them with my OBD II reader several different times and some of the codes have a tag "permanent" instead of either "stored" or "pending". The truck seems to be running completely normal. However, I have no idea what kind of tune is on the ECU and I also have the ridiculous message "Exhaust Service Required - See Dealer Now" across my DIC and it won't go away. I have gotten down under the truck and filled the disconnected plugs with dielectric and taped them up as was suggested on one diesel site or another.

I don't currently have $600 to drop on a Mini Maxx and I generally drive like a grandpa. My questions are these:

1) Am I likely to damage the truck in any way if I continue driving it until I can get the tuner and clear out the "permanent" codes?

2) I have gotten a hold of a delete kit for the EGR and Throttle Valve. What kinds of other problems would it cause if I installed them before getting the tuner?

Thanks in advance guys/gals!

Busboy 03-05-2018 04:23 PM

NOX and DPF theft is extremely common especially on the 10/11 and 12 models, could the truck be stock and have had them stolen usually while it's on the dealers lot? Did you buy from a dealer or private? It's possible to add a tuner down load the software then remove the tuner, the tuner is useless unless the software has been removed and the truck returned to stock but.... the truck would still be ok until a dealer flashes the ECM which could be what happened to you. The dealer seeing no programmer might think it was stock and automatically update the ECM then doing any warranty work.

dercas 03-05-2018 04:42 PM

I did buy it from a dealer. It was an Illinois dealer who got a bunch of flood trucks from auction after the Texas hurricane. I highly doubt that they were stolen because the sensors were unplugged and not just cut. I don't think that there's any way for me to prove that the dealer flashed the ECM because the paperwork stated that the check engine light was on at the time of arrival (even though I know for a fact that it wasn't) and I didn't hound them about it right away. I'm less concerned about what has been done and more about how to move forward. I have an EGR/Throttle valve delete coming in the mail. I want to know if I can install them before I purchase the tuner, or if I could cause damage and should wait. I'm planning on getting a Mini Maxx in the next two months and modding the exhaust to a 5" turbo back straight pipe.

Busboy 03-05-2018 06:06 PM

I'm pretty sure the truck will go into limp mode because of the service exhaust system msg, the DPF IS $4000 up here and used ones fetch $1000. I forget how long you have after the service Exhaust system msg comes on, I know my son used to get it a lot on his 2011 3500 manual truck until we deleted it. Save your money on the 5inch exhaust system, read this thread it will tell you a lot about deleting the 2010-2012 trucks. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6-11-a-278158/