4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Don't beleive the MPG

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'm still pretty shocked and in disbelief. Mods are XRT pro on stock HP setting, AFE delete pipe(dpf only, I still have my stock dp in place), EGR deleted(cooler still in place). I'm still running the stock intake, CCV mod, 3.73s and Bridgestone Revo 2 315s on factory wheels.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 AM

I just bought my 2011 Ram 2500HD with manual six-speed tranny. Have about 2,000 miles on it and just took a little trip to Jackson Hole, WY and back here to Lander, WY. Got 16.4 going up to Jackson Hole and 17.9 coming back down so my average is around 17 mpg for the trip. At this point I don't anticipate any deletes that might cause a problem with warranty but what about the breathing deal you guys are talking about. Do you just remove some stuff that allows the engine to get more air naturally?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This I refer to as the "Whales Tongue". It is placed directly in front of your turbine and located inside of the intake tube. TAKE IT OUT. 100% pointless to be there unless you are in some serious dusty environments.

For many, many years performance machines have had forced induction and this is the first vehicle I have ever seen this in. Removing it has to allow more air flow
Attached Thumbnails Don't beleive the MPG-dscn0533.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by New2Diesel
This I refer to as the "Whales Tongue". It is placed directly in front of your turbine and located inside of the intake tube. TAKE IT OUT. 100% pointless to be there unless you are in some serious dusty environments.

For many, many years performance machines have had forced induction and this is the first vehicle I have ever seen this in. Removing it has to allow more air flow
What the heck?... One more thing thats coming off my engine. I plan on doing the GDP high flow intake manifold and grid heater relocation kit. Its easy to understand why the EGTs and MPGs are so low (aside from the dpf) after seeing how choked off the stocker is. Also makes me wonder if that choked off setup puts the drive pressures out of whack and causing the potential turbo failures with more boost and fueling? Hmmmm
Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Expect a 200-400 degree drop in EGT's if you do the manifold and Air Boss. I will be home in a week or so and will post the differences between stock and with the intake/Air Boss
Old 02-06-2012, 05:36 AM

I can see a aftermarket converter affecting around town economy, but I doubt it has anything to do with highway economy. Once locked, it is locked just like a stocker. The only thing different at that point is the increased weight hanging off the rear of the engine.

Tobin
Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by Tobin
I can see a aftermarket converter affecting around town economy, but I doubt it has anything to do with highway economy. Once locked, it is locked just like a stocker. The only thing different at that point is the increased weight hanging off the rear of the engine.

Tobin
Depends on how much heavier a billet converter is over stock. Rotating mass certainly doesn't help fuel economy.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
When we deleted the first truck my son managed to call and was going on about fantastic mileage and how he had gone XXXX kilometers before filling up. He didn't know how much fuel he put in though. I told him to hand calculate it before I believed him. Anyway skip forward a little and while out test driving the second truck I honestly thought there was something wrong with the EVIC. Not only have I NEVER seen numbers like that, I never saw them on the 5.9 either. I'm not saying what they were until I hand calculate because you wouldn't believe me. He says grinning from ear to ear
Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by New2Diesel

This intrigues me...anyone else have an opinion on taking this out? I have to assume that the engineers have put it there for a reason.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 PM

What I understand it is both an insulator from engine heat and a sound muffler. I had mine out for awhile and heard turbo more but why actually went up a but. Fuel mileage suffered a little maybe .2 mpg.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:39 PM

Mine is missing in action. As is the cat, NOX, DPF and all the EGR stuff is unplugged for a few more days when it to shall follow the whales tongue. New problem with the truck - where to stash all the stuff thats falling off.