4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
If you ever have rebuilt a engine try using cold water to wash the carbon off the pistons works very well.
I have a cylinder head to pull this week so I'll try it in small amounts, I've used a pressure washer before on complete tear downs and that does a good job too but it's using water also.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:25 AM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on the DPF delete. I like flying under the radar, how much louder will I be if I do this delete? The follow up is, how much room would I have to install another muffler so I can tone it down?

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
UPDATED! 6-6-11

Many people have asked for a tutorial on the Bluetec system on the 6.7’s. I figured it was high time it was put all into one place for those who need some guidance with the emissions hardware and how to work with and/or delete it. Now this is going to be long, but should be useful, I hope. We will start with the basics.

There are several components of the Bluetec system, which allow the 6.7 Cummins to meet 2010 EPA standards. On the Engine side there is the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. On the exhaust side there is the DPF (diesel particulate filter) NOX canister (Oxides of nitrous scrubber) and the Catalytic converter.

Lets start with the exhaust side.

When looking at the exhaust system from the turbo flowing back to the tail pipe, you will see four canisters total. The first canister that is closest to the turbo is the catalytic converter. It is the long canister in the bend of the down pipe.

The second canister is the NOX filter. It is the first of the large round canisters.

The third canister is the DPF.

The fourth canister is what is passed off for as a muffler. It is a straight through design for those that are wondering.

There will be five sensors in the factory exhaust piping. There will be two oxygen sensors. They are the larger diameter sensors. The three smaller sensors are the temperature probes. They measure what temp the DPF is at so that the ECM can put the truck into regen if needed. There is also a set of stainless steel tubing that connects to rubber tubing and a pressure sensor on the passenger side of the transmission. This is the DPF differential pressure sensor. It measures the flow of exhaust through the DPF, and can make a reading as to how much particulate matter is in the DPF at any given time. This works in tandem with the temp probes to keep the DPF clean and working in a (theoretically) functioning exhaust system.

With a huge thank you to New2Diesel I now have pics of the factory exhaust system. In these pics, with Brians beautiful truck in the background, the factory exhaust system has been removed from the truck, but, are in order from front of the vehicle to rear, the down pipe with CAT, Nox Filter, DPF and factory muffler and tailpipe.

Here is a pic of the factory muffler and its "straight through" design.

Another thing to consider before doing any deletes is emissions testing in your area. Ask questions and know your restriction before you get yourself in a bind.

I must note however, that should you decided to delete, you will only ask yourself one question

“Why in the heck didn’t I do this sooner?”
Old 10-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Question on the DPF delete. I like flying under the radar, how much louder will I be if I do this delete? The follow up is, how much room would I have to install another muffler so I can tone it down?
I deleted a 12 a couple weeks back. Used delete pipe and new down pipe. Used factory muffler. Not much louder, but a little deeper tone. There is plenty of room to change muffler. This was a crew cab long bed, had 2 feet of pipe in front of factory muffler, roughly 5 feet of pipe to delete.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly66
I deleted a 12 a couple weeks back. Used delete pipe and new down pipe. Used factory muffler. Not much louder, but a little deeper tone. There is plenty of room to change muffler. This was a crew cab long bed, had 2 feet of pipe in front of factory muffler, roughly 5 feet of pipe to delete.
Kewl! These guys have a delete pipe that is a muffler but they say 2011-2012 Is there a difference from 10 to 11?

delete pipe with muffler
Old 10-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Kewl! These guys have a delete pipe that is a muffler but they say 2011-2012 Is there a difference from 10 to 11?

delete pipe with muffler
I don't think there is a difference.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 PM

"running under radar"

I know what you mean about running under radar. About 6 months ago I deleted everything from turbo back to the muffler but kept the stock muffler on. Like hillbilly66 said it's not much louder than stock, just a deeper sound to it. Going down the road it still looks stock which is what I wanted. The only catch I can see is the smell. It **** sure doesn't smell stock at all. You will be spewing out the ol' diesel smell for sure. I hope I don't attract the wrong kind of attention with that.........
Old 10-09-2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by rbrdriver
I know what you mean about running under radar. About 6 months ago I deleted everything from turbo back to the muffler but kept the stock muffler on. Like hillbilly66 said it's not much louder than stock, just a deeper sound to it. Going down the road it still looks stock which is what I wanted. The only catch I can see is the smell. It **** sure doesn't smell stock at all. You will be spewing out the ol' diesel smell for sure. I hope I don't attract the wrong kind of attention with that.........
Hmmm,
Is it the removal of the CAT that causes the odor? Is it really that bad. My 12V 96 didn't seem to smell any different when I installed a turbo back exhaust.
If so has anyone just deleted the NOX and DPF canisters? Can we shut down the EGR and still leave the CAT in place? Could we expect improvements in doing such a delete?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:53 AM

Hmmm,
Is it the removal of the CAT that causes the odor? Is it really that bad. My 12V 96 didn't seem to smell any different when I installed a turbo back exhaust.
If so has anyone just deleted the NOX and DPF canisters? Can we shut down the EGR and still leave the CAT in place? Could we expect improvements in doing such a delete?
Yes you can delete nox, dpf, and egr. All while leaveing cat in place. You will see some gains but how much I am not sure of.

Your 96 wouldn't have smelt different because it did not have all the filters in the exhaust.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:10 PM

Yes you can delete nox, dpf, and egr. All while leaving cat in place. You will see some gains but how much I am not sure of.

Your 96 wouldn't have smelt different because it did not have all the filters in the exhaust.
Would that help reduce the odor issues? If not I see no reason to do so.
I'm assuming I could still run a tuner for added gains? Also an assumption but keeping the CAT in place would most likely help keep exhaust tone down?
Old 10-09-2015, 04:04 PM

You have to run a tuner if you remove DPF. Cat will help reduce exhaust tone. It might help reduce smell. That I don't know.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:54 PM

You have to run a tuner if you remove DPF. Cat will help reduce exhaust tone. It might help reduce smell. That I don't know.
Definitely intend on running a tuner. Just trying to figure out all options but I don't want loud or extreme smoke. These jug heads running heavy smoke are responsible for all of the emissions garbage on our trucks!!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
That's a lot of work..
Old 10-09-2015, 07:05 PM

Definitely intend on running a tuner. Just trying to figure out all options but I don't want loud or extreme smoke. These jug heads running heavy smoke are responsible for all of the emissions garbage on our trucks!!
I understand that. I just now noticed your location, we hail from the same area. If I wasn't in Colorado for work I'd offer to help with the install.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:25 PM

I understand that. I just now noticed your location, we hail from the same area. If I wasn't in Colorado for work I'd offer to help with the install.
Thanks man!! I don't have anything yet but it's coming soon. Warranty runs out in about 100 miles.
Trying to figure out if I can plug a big donaldson muffler in place of the NOX and DPF. That should keep it quiet!!
Old 10-09-2015, 07:30 PM

Thanks man!! I don't have anything yet but it's coming soon. Warranty runs out in about 100 miles.
Trying to figure out if I can plug a big donaldson muffler in place of the NOX and DPF. That should keep it quiet!!
You're welcome. I think you should be able to. Just get under there and measure the room you will have to work with. Then you will know what length of muffler you can use.

Quick Reply: Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11