4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blake, before I ask my in-expeienced questions, I too wish to tell you how great your threads are on DTR. Do you have time for anything else with all of us 'newbies' asking for your help??

So I asked you a few months ago if I could run the edge juice on my 2010 with the smarty ME. You said as long as I only changed the timing on one, I will be safe.

Looking at the updated thread tonight, I hope to confirm that what I am about to do will be OK--

Edge juice is on and working fine. Got the smarty JR ME and flo-pro dpf pipe on a shelf, as well as the sinister egr delete kit. The pipe has one round threaded hole in it.. What goes there? I know to cap the rest and wire tie them up, but when I ordred a pipe with no bungs, I was surprised to see one.

The updated thread says I can just have the smarty tell the truck to shut off the EGR, and it is good to go? So after I put the pipe on, I tell it to delete both, then I can go back after I get more confidence in myself and do the EGR stuff at a later time? I have read through all of the instructions for the sinister EGR, and it is..... well, mostly clear...

And lastly, if the EGR is shut off in the computer, what is the functional difference between it being 'shut off' and actually removed. IE mileage, power, egt's etc...
Again, thanks for your work on the forum.
Lemer
Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 AM

sensor

ox sensor the biggest one
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM

EddieHaske

Question: I would like to to do the Blake style delete i. e. DPF delete and EGR delete, Full delete, for my 08 Dodge 6.7 cummins, 4x4, longbed, What exactly do I need in parts and tuner minus the gauges at this point?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemer
Blake, before I ask my in-expeienced questions, I too wish to tell you how great your threads are on DTR. Do you have time for anything else with all of us 'newbies' asking for your help??

So I asked you a few months ago if I could run the edge juice on my 2010 with the smarty ME. You said as long as I only changed the timing on one, I will be safe.

Looking at the updated thread tonight, I hope to confirm that what I am about to do will be OK--

Edge juice is on and working fine. Got the smarty JR ME and flo-pro dpf pipe on a shelf, as well as the sinister egr delete kit. The pipe has one round threaded hole in it.. What goes there? I know to cap the rest and wire tie them up, but when I ordred a pipe with no bungs, I was surprised to see one.

The updated thread says I can just have the smarty tell the truck to shut off the EGR, and it is good to go? So after I put the pipe on, I tell it to delete both, then I can go back after I get more confidence in myself and do the EGR stuff at a later time? I have read through all of the instructions for the sinister EGR, and it is..... well, mostly clear...

And lastly, if the EGR is shut off in the computer, what is the functional difference between it being 'shut off' and actually removed. IE mileage, power, egt's etc...
Again, thanks for your work on the forum.
Lemer
Running the Smarty on stock setting will take care of the programming for deletes. Plug the one bung hole on the exhaust. You can use the Edge for a bump in power if you want shift on the fly. Make sure that the timing is off on one of them, or you will have issues.

Originally Posted by chenry
ox sensor the biggest one
Correct. O2 sensors are the larger ones, temp probes are the smaller ones.

Originally Posted by Eddiehaske
Question: I would like to to do the Blake style delete i. e. DPF delete and EGR delete, Full delete, for my 08 Dodge 6.7 cummins, 4x4, longbed, What exactly do I need in parts and tuner minus the gauges at this point?
You will need EGR deletes and throttle valve delete (or a full intake horn) EGR cooler deletes, a turbo back exhaust, and tuner of your choice.

Oh, and, Welcome to the DTR!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 PM
"Swole It like ya Stole It"

Got my deletes done today as well as my Mini max..

Was just going for a delete pipe and when I opened the box, it was a turbo back.
So we had to install it all. Well just the down pipe and where a normal delete pipe would stop.

My H&S egr and cooler delete kit didn'y have the block off for the cross over tube, so Rich at Dog House had to make me one on the lathe..

It seems to run great! Exhaust sounds a little wierd though.. lol
These vgt turbos with the exhaust break sound funky..

Well at least it's not to lound in the cab. We left the stock resonater on.

Few Pics:

Name:  a796513b.jpg
Views: 3655
Size:  254.9 KB

Name:  658af8c3.jpg
Views: 3191
Size:  327.8 KB

Name:  0a24f680.jpg
Views: 3333
Size:  272.5 KB

Name:  b1a465aa.jpg
Views: 3298
Size:  367.7 KB

Name:  4740afa6.jpg
Views: 3125
Size:  338.1 KB

The piece that was missing ::: this one Rich made.

Name:  3e7f4250.jpg
Views: 3108
Size:  339.5 KB

Name:  b0f61835.jpg
Views: 3125
Size:  258.9 KB

Name:  2f1f8a39.jpg
Views: 3098
Size:  319.2 KB

Name:  858db26a.jpg
Views: 3245
Size:  272.6 KB
Old 06-03-2012, 11:59 AM

EddieHaske

Thanks for the welcome Blake, I went ahead and ordered these parts.
H&S EGR/Cooler Delete 2007-2008 Dodge 6.7 HAS-301001 1 aFe Large Bore HD 4" Turbo Back Kit T409-SS Dodge Cummins 6.7L 07.5-10 aFe-49-12009 1 Smarty Junior Tuner 07.5-09 Dodge Cummins 6.7L (DPF Delete) SMA-J67ME 1I think that is everything I need. I also should have mentioned that my reasons for doing this is constant codes and regen and intermittent loss of power. Over the past week I have taken several long trips around AZ and it did fine. Last trip to Phx was fine but when I got back the next day it would barely go down the road until it warmed up, once warm it runs pretty good with only a intermittent hesitation and stutter. I am feeling good about doing this mod to my truck since my after market warranty does not cover anything on the exhaust side of the truck. Thanks again I will let you know how it goes as I will be doing all the work tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:51 PM

I finally did my deletes. Everything seems to be going good so far. Had one curious thing though.. With the edge juice, I set my EGT's to 1350, and the turbo to 32 to be safe. Before the deletes, the only backdown I ever got was from EGT's approaching the limit. With the deletes, EGT's are down 100-150 degrees. I hopped on it once to see how it did, and the turbo seems to spool up faster, to where it went into backdown because of the turbo getting up to 32. Does the turbo go higher after deletes are done??
Old 06-05-2012, 06:20 PM

David, looking good.

Time to really go all out on it. Lets say, just shy of Swoled.

Originally Posted by Eddiehaske
Thanks for the welcome Blake, I went ahead and ordered these parts.
H&S EGR/Cooler Delete 2007-2008 Dodge 6.7 HAS-301001 1 aFe Large Bore HD 4" Turbo Back Kit T409-SS Dodge Cummins 6.7L 07.5-10 aFe-49-12009 1 Smarty Junior Tuner 07.5-09 Dodge Cummins 6.7L (DPF Delete) SMA-J67ME 1I think that is everything I need. I also should have mentioned that my reasons for doing this is constant codes and regen and intermittent loss of power. Over the past week I have taken several long trips around AZ and it did fine. Last trip to Phx was fine but when I got back the next day it would barely go down the road until it warmed up, once warm it runs pretty good with only a intermittent hesitation and stutter. I am feeling good about doing this mod to my truck since my after market warranty does not cover anything on the exhaust side of the truck. Thanks again I will let you know how it goes as I will be doing all the work tomorrow.
It seems as if you have everything in order. Lets us know how it works out.

Originally Posted by Lemer
I finally did my deletes. Everything seems to be going good so far. Had one curious thing though.. With the edge juice, I set my EGT's to 1350, and the turbo to 32 to be safe. Before the deletes, the only backdown I ever got was from EGT's approaching the limit. With the deletes, EGT's are down 100-150 degrees. I hopped on it once to see how it did, and the turbo seems to spool up faster, to where it went into backdown because of the turbo getting up to 32. Does the turbo go higher after deletes are done??
With the new programming it will spool quicker.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Eddiehaske

Well, I did turbo back exhaust, EGR/EGR cooler delete set up with the smarty before I started it. Smarty Jr. has power on demand settings from 00-99 set mine at 60. I have not got in to torque settings yet until I learn a little more about what Smarty Jr. does.
With the settings and the deletes done I have a Ram that runs and breathes just like a diesel eng. should. It is way more responsive. I still haven't received the intake throttle replacement so I am just taking it easy until I get the part.
Thanks to Blake this job was way easier than I thought it could be.
Thanks to all who have asked questions and replied as I have read all of the delete threads in order to do this job.
I will post more on the how to's that I ran in to.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
David, looking good.

Time to really go all out on it. Lets say, just shy of Swoled.
LOL

NAH!! This is about as far this one will go..

I've got my 07 now for the power fix..
Just went to the track on Sunday with Rich for EFI Live tuning.
Did you see the vid??

NO LOCK UP SWITCH YET!
Went from an 8.02 @ 89 down to an 7.67 @ 91 in the 1/8...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZee...e_gdata_player
Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Swole
LOL

NAH!! This is about as far this one will go..

I've got my 07 now for the power fix..
Just went to the track on Sunday with Rich for EFI Live tuning.
Did you see the vid??

NO LOCK UP SWITCH YET!
Went from an 8.02 @ 89 down to an 7.67 @ 91 in the 1/8...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZee...e_gdata_player

That is impressive. I really like how little smoke its putting out when it launches. EFI Live cant hit the 4th gens fast enough.

Yeah, Im envious. That is sweet!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
That is impressive. I really like how little smoke its putting out when it launches. EFI Live cant hit the 4th gens fast enough.

Yeah, Im envious. That is sweet!

Rich isn't even through tuning it yet down low.
He says it'll get even better..

Impressive so far though!

Thanks man!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Quick questions for clarification

I'm a newbie here, Just purchased a 2012 RAM 2500 6.7 couple months back.

I intend to do the Programmer ONLY without removing anything Delete.

GOAL = Improve MPG + added benefit of a little perf (HP) gain.

I want to be able to reprogram back to stock without mucking with any hardware for any potential warrantee work, Emmissions I'm not worried about here in WA as I have 5 years before I have to be tested.

So here are my questions:

1) Looking at the MADS site they have both the Smarty j-67 ($495) and the S-67($695), from the thread to do what I want I need the S-67 version am I correct?

i.e. Programe #2 (or 70 HP equavilent setting) on Smarty and disable Emmissions.

(Obviously if you want to monitor EGT you want the Black Maxx (H&S) - still thinking about that one).

2) What is the exact step in programming with the Smarty, i.e. go in and disable emissions, the flash then a second time to set the performance program or will it allow me to do both in the same flash?

3) I presume SOOT will build up in the turbo and other places over time when running in this config, so it would seem that just flipping emmissions on for a day then back every once and a while to burn off any SOOT would do the trick, correct? Any particular interval recommended?

Thanks again
Old 08-15-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Timb320
I'm a newbie here, Just purchased a 2012 RAM 2500 6.7 couple months back.

I intend to do the Programmer ONLY without removing anything Delete.

GOAL = Improve MPG + added benefit of a little perf (HP) gain.
Not sure if that will work. I mean, the programmer will disable the EGR thus providing better mpgs and oil life/engine life. But- the truck won't regen and the DPF will clog up. You should at least plan on removing the DPF and 2nd cat (you can leave the 1st cat in if you don't want to mess with jacking up the tranny). It's my understanding that's an easy install.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong....
Old 08-15-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SOhappy
Not sure if that will work. I mean, the programmer will disable the EGR thus providing better mpgs and oil life/engine life. But- the truck won't regen and the DPF will clog up. You should at least plan on removing the DPF and 2nd cat (you can leave the 1st cat in if you don't want to mess with jacking up the tranny). It's my understanding that's an easy install.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong....
By the Second Cat you mean the NOX filter?

Quick Reply: Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11