4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold air intake

Im looking at buying a cold air intake for my 14' and i had an afe not sure what kind it was on my 08' and it worked great but im trying to find an oiled filter i looked at some of afe cold air's but the ones im wanting to get are oiled filters. Any insight as to if i can oil an afe non oil filter or not or best advice on a cold air?
Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the only company as of right now offering any thing for our trucks is s&b...there a nice unit have to do a little wiring work but the fit and finish is good.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:33 AM

Afe makes cold air intakes for the 14's but i want an oiled filter i seen s&b oiled filter i just like the afe design better n i didnt know if you can oil a non oil filter never had to try before lol
Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blueghost08
Afe makes cold air intakes for the 14's but i want an oiled filter i seen s&b oiled filter i just like the afe design better n i didnt know if you can oil a non oil filter never had to try before lol
Why do you want to throw away your money?

The oiled style filters will mess up and cause CELS for the mass air flow sensor.

Another issue is the oil can retain dirt on the impeller of the turbo and cause pitting of the blades.

You do know that the stock air cleaner will support over 400HP with no performance issues.

I am running over 400HP on the stock air filter on my 08 and have changed out the filter at 40,000 miles. I am about ready to change again at 80,000 miles.

Here is a link why you should use a paper air filter on your Cummins.

The Importance of Using a Paper Air Filter - Turbo Diesel News -

And another link.

From the Cummins Archives: the Effect of Dust on Your Engine - Turbo Diesel News -

Jim W.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:34 PM

I always thought they were better since they collect the dirt better than basic filter. Idk how you changed a filter out after that long i checked mine after 7k miles and it was pure ****, i also live on a dirt road and where i work is mostly off road paths. I always figured with just dry filters the dust would more less sand blast the blades and anything else itll pass through How are you getting 40k on a stock paper filter?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by blueghost08
I always thought they were better since they collect the dirt better than basic filter. Idk how you changed a filter out after that long i checked mine after 7k miles and it was pure ****, i also live on a dirt road and where i work is mostly off road paths. I always figured with just dry filters the dust would more less sand blast the blades and anything else itll pass through How are you getting 40k on a stock paper filter?

Actually air filters tend to work better as they become dirtier until they become plugged.

I check my filters every 7,500 miles when I change the oil in the engine and wipe out the air filter box. I will place the filter under a light bulb and check the filter for plugging by debris. I also watch the air filter minder on the side of the air box for increase pressure loss. I do carry a spare filter in my bonnie box so if one becomes plugged I can change one out.

Did you look at the two links I provided?

I am a retired engineer and dealt with filtration on various components on engines and hydraulic components. So I do have some experience with air filters. Look at an earthmover tractor and the work environment that they work in. Their filters are changed out based on the same filter minder that is used on our Cummins engines and on a set time interval also.

I also only buy the Mopar air filter or the Fleetguard air filter as these were designed for our engines and not some aftermarket company like Fram.

Jim W.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Jim, what do you think about adding a thin bead of air filter grease to the perimiter of the filter on the clean side? My biggest gripe with stock air boxes is the small trail of dust usually at the corners of the air box.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:38 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

So riddle me this, how do the afe setup work with ram active air? I been looking at the afe setup with the dry washable filter. But there instructions so nothing on what to do with the actime air,un plugging it would result in a cel I would think.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:11 PM

From what i saw the more expensive afe intakes like momentum hd's and such have a similar valve like the stock box does. From reading from alot of different sites theyve said that the intake box has the valve or butterfly like the stick box but you can also just take it out that and along with they have cold plugs for the box that you can put in or remove. I cant exactly remember what they were saying they were for.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Beast2B
Jim, what do you think about adding a thin bead of air filter grease to the perimiter of the filter on the clean side? My biggest gripe with stock air boxes is the small trail of dust usually at the corners of the air box.
Some Heavy equipment manufactures used an O-Ring to seal the canister lid; so air would not leak around this joint. So YES; putting a light coat of grease around the lid and box would work. You do not really want to draw hot engine air into the air cleaner; cool air is preferred for the engine.

That is why the inner fender wall has a cut-out for fresh air in it for the air cleaner box and Ram's active air inlet too.

Jim W.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:48 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

I just ordered the momentum hd, I really like the active air thing from dodge were it switches were pulls air from depending what's cooler. The washable dry filter filter is great I ordered two so I can keep one clean.