4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

6.7L Dodge Ram 2 micron fuel filter kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7L Dodge Ram 2 micron fuel filter kit

All,
I need to update my signature block, because the 2002 is SOLD, and a 2011 MegaCab has replaced it. My question is the fuel system. In researching replacing the fuel filter, the housing is a PITA to get to. Do most people bypass the OEM filter and housing when installing the 2-micron standalone filter and big line kit? I'm used to a FASS, so this in new terriority.
LOVE the new truck. Doesn't have the same power, but that would be comparing apples to oranges. I'll mod this soon enough.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 PM

No... You install the 2um filter between the stock fitter outet and the cp3.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 PM

I would put a 2um filter and a water separator filter before the stock filter. Probably under the frame. Leave the stock filter setup as is, but now you should not have to change it as often.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jbremount
I would put a 2um filter and a water separator filter before the stock filter. Probably under the frame. Leave the stock filter setup as is, but now you should not have to change it as often.
Why,
The stock filter is 7um and is worthless with your suggestion.

I would use the 7um filter to trap the larger debris first and then down to the 2um filter for the smaller elements. You always install the largest micron practical filter trap first than the smaller micron filter trap afterwards at least that was how I was taught 40 years ago in hydraulic design.

My truck is also set up this way with the stock fuel filter first than the 2um filter next.
Jim W.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jim W
Why,
The stock filter is 7um and is worthless with your suggestion.

I would use the 7um filter to trap the larger debris first and then down to the 2um filter for the smaller elements. You always install the largest micron practical filter trap first than the smaller micron filter trap afterwards at least that was how I was taught 40 years ago in hydraulic design.

My truck is also set up this way with the stock fuel filter first than the 2um filter next.
Jim W.

How much do 2011 Truck's stock filter cost to change out?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
If I remember right it was around 40 bucks. I only changed mine once before putting on the AirDog.

If you think changing out the stock filter on a 4th gen is hard, try a 3rd gen 6.7. The 4th gens are a walk in the park....

I would suggest one of these, which go between the factory filter and the CP3

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...id=MK21012-BLK

Replacement filters are about 12 bucks at your local Cummins dealer.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jbremount
How much do 2011 Truck's stock filter cost to change out?
$35 ish....
Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
The Guru

I built mine for $30 my homemade 2um filter. The cat filter is worth $18, fittings, hose and filter housing was another $10. Used some metal scrap around the garage for the support bracket. Just plasma torched and welded into something. I pulled out one of the bolts on the fuel rail for my home made bracket.

I measure fuel pressure after my home made filter set-up, so don't use mileage to change out my fuel filters. I'm also going to change out the stock 6.7L filter housing for the cheaper/more common filter of a 06/07 CR 5.9L, I'm not a fan of plastic filter housings.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
The Guru

Hey I had for the first time last week, I had a fueling station fill 4-5 gallons of gas into my 2010 truck. Thanks to my secondary filter, I was able to pump out the tank. I just quickly removed one hose and took out some 1/2in hose. I had to remove 10 gallons of fuel.

Pumped in fresh diesel and then I purdged my filters. No issues to date.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Hey I had for the first time last week, I had a fueling station fill 4-5 gallons of gas into my 2010 truck. Thanks to my secondary filter, I was able to pump out the tank. I just quickly removed one hose and took out some 1/2in hose. I had to remove 10 gallons of fuel.

Pumped in fresh diesel and then I purdged my filters. No issues to date.

That's another good thing about having the filter setup under the truck. You can easily pull a hose/or remove a filter and pump out the tank.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
The Guru

Just pull the relay for the fuel pump and make a jump wire. Its that easy. Also carry around a 10 ft chunk of hose. I was so worried, talk about stress out. I couldn't pump out the tank dry but was darn close. The old truck I wouldn't have sweated anything, but everything under the hood on these new 6.7L is pretty darn pricey.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 PM

Mike,
Any chance on a couple pics?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 AM

Dodge makes the "Severe duty fuel kit " that's under the frame, just after the tank. It has a water separator and sensor that connects to the truck's ECM. If you get water in the fuel, it will collect the water near the tank, then send a signal the ECM. You can disconnect a hose and drain the tank right there. You can buy this kit on ebay for about $350-$400. There is an older kit that may work for your truck for sale for $49! (http://allworldautomotive.com/auto_p..._ots31671.html) I put one on my truck and love it.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Just pull the relay for the fuel pump and make a jump wire. Its that easy. Also carry around a 10 ft chunk of hose. I was so worried, talk about stress out. I couldn't pump out the tank dry but was darn close. The old truck I wouldn't have sweated anything, but everything under the hood on these new 6.7L is pretty darn pricey.
How did you attach the jump wire in place of the relay? Once you attached the jump wire to the fuel pump, did you just turn the ignition on?

Is there a way to gut out a filter and use it to drain the tank? This way you would not have to cut or remove a hose.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 PM
The Guru

I have to find my camera. Yes I turned the key on/off to cycle the fuel pump.

As for just removing the filter and dumping fuel out the filter drain, is yes that would work, but you'll have one heck of big dump off fuel about 10 gallons of fuel. Yes you could put a pail under the truck to check the all the fuel.

My way was easier, just hooked up a 1/2in hose and into a 5 gallon pail. Took me 5 seconds to loosen the hose clamp bamo click on/off fuel transfering out of the tank. Super easy if you need to transfer clean filter diesel fuel from the truck to anything.

Quick Reply: 6.7L Dodge Ram 2 micron fuel filter kit