4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2014 2500 6.7.....should I buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crabjoe
I know what you mean about 4-low.. I almost never use 4-low, in any 4x4 I've have.

On this '14, once moving, it pulls like a freight train, but off the line and passing/merging situations, it's a dog. And because it's a dog in these situations, it's best not to be in a hurry, during rush hour traffic...

As for it being this way to help protect the transmission or driveline, I don't buy it. GM may do it, but a DMAX is a rocket, compared to the Ram. And with the Ram, it's not like it doesn't give you the power, it's more like a 3 count. What I mean is, if I stomp on the pedal, I can count to 3 before it takes off. It's like there's a delay, very similar to turbo lag.

With a 1000+ miles on it, off the line, I do feel it got quicker, but it could be just in my head. My driving style/expectations might have changed or the truck is adapting to my driving habits. Passing/merging is still a super slug! During rush hour, there's no way in heck, I'm going to try to change lanes, if I don't have a ton of space between the other vehicles.. It's added about 20 mins to my commute, which ain't fun!
my 2012 GMC with 6L gas motor is a flipping dog and does exactly what your are describing my 2006 6L gas motor is a rocket ship. the lag is all at the bottom off the line or passing and is a 3 second count i thing it is slowly becoming an industry standard to detune and heavily laden these trucks with torque management

we have 2 2013 Dmax’s at work and they are fairly snappy responsive not better or worse than my fathers 2012 cummins with automatic all three peril in comparison to my 2003 nv5600 truck even in stock form off the line its torquier, it just lacked the legs that these higher hp trucks have on the top end, that is until the smarty gets turned on
Old 11-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably a dumb question, but does the use of a Smarty "replace" or eliminate the torque management in the stock configuration?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to not answer the question, as I currently have no idea what they've got for power adders out there. With that kinda power, for day to day use, who needs more? Mostly I would be concerned with deletes for vehicle longevity. The part that I am particularly interested in though is the coils/bags. The aftermarket lifts aught to be amazing as putting a 4-link in the rear should just be a matter of some easy bolt-ons. Anyone who gets one, please post pictures. This is of course for the off roaders among us.

FYI, -40 is the same in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krashdavit
Sorry to not answer the question, as I currently have no idea what they've got for power adders out there. With that kinda power, for day to day use, who needs more? Mostly I would be concerned with deletes for vehicle longevity. The part that I am particularly interested in though is the coils/bags. The aftermarket lifts aught to be amazing as putting a 4-link in the rear should just be a matter of some easy bolt-ons. Anyone who gets one, please post pictures. This is of course for the off roaders among us.

FYI, -40 is the same in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
Well, I am an off roader but I can't for life of me figure out why someone would take an 8000lb, nose heavy, $60,000 truck and beat the dog pee out it off road. I have a heavily modified IH Scout II that I drag through the trees, brush, and rocks. The Ram is used to tow the trail rig to the trails.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:18 AM

Lol, true enough. They certainly aren't built for the same job as your scout or a jeep, but if you saw the road leading to my place it would make a little more sense. However, many of these tow rigs double as recovery rigs or chase trucks, hence the reason for almost every aftermarket bumper company having winch plates available on their bumpers. There's not a whole lot worse that being able to get your trail rig in and not back out. I fell ya, I run my atv for the fun off-roading.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:14 PM

How is the coil over suspension? Is it worth the wait to get a 14 over a '13?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by engmike
How is the coil over suspension? Is it worth the wait to get a 14 over a '13?
I was out trying to look at a 3500 with the rear air bags but couldn't find one so then started trying to find a 2500 with air all around still no joy. I did look at an awful lot of coil springs. My experience of coil springs is great ride compared to leaf springs but they can't carry much compared again to the leaf spring. The 2500 with air suspension might be the way to go if you are pulling a mid weight 5ver or gooseneck, not towing much then the coils would give a nice smooth ride.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:55 AM

I just bought a 13 3500 with the 6 speed, traded in an 04 3500 6 speed, and I definitely agree with everyone else, these new trucks aren't near as fast off the line. But with 1500 miles on mine I can feel it getting faster, or maybe my expectations have gone down..... I have a feeling it will get better with time, I do miss romping on that 04 and seeing the smoke roll when I wanted to pass everyone in sight though.

On another note I have an 08 f350 6 speed dually single cab flat bed that belongs to the ranch I work for, all the exhaust gas been pulled off of it and let me tell you, that thing is a jet all the way up to 65mph (4.11s). When I floor it on the pavement I almost can't shift it fast enough, with a horse trailer or not.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 AM

Well I pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago on a '14 Limited 4x4. I got 9k off sticker and didn't trade in my '11 f150 platinum. 28k for trade when bluebook says 34 for average condition...no thanks. The truck rides and drives great. Everything is better than my f150 except acceleration but I expected that.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CTDjoey
Everything is better than my f150 except acceleration but I expected that.
Hook 'em up to something heavy and then try the acceleration again. Seems like the Cummins pulls just as strong with 10k of trailer as it does empty.