Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/)
-   -   2011 Smarty JR beta review (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/2011-smarty-jr-beta-review-291417/)

cbrahs 06-21-2011 11:14 AM

2011 Smarty JR beta review

1 Attachment(s)
installed "S" software on the truck last night and took the family for "ice cream" after the install. initial feelings are KILLER! [guitar]

Throttle response is great. greatly reduced turbo lag. I have it set on SW3 with default timing. Pulls hard (girlfriend even mentioned how much stronger it felt from the passenger seat). Roll on power getting on the freeway is night and day from stock. cruising down the freeway (had to take the long route to sonic of course) was great. just sets ya back in the seat and gets it.

Over the course of the next couple weeks I will be running the "S" software and have dyno time scheduled for next friday (july 1) at 830 am. Will be removing smarty, getting base line OEM configuration results then loading SW1, making a couple runs and SW2 and so on. I am pretty sure that the guys at the dyno shop can put the results in a PDF form so I can post it here without scanning since I don't have a scanner.

After we got home last night, I turned the corner to get into the driveway and figured, ah what the heck, lets see what she will do. GF looked at me like why did you stop [guitar] and rolled into it. Her and her daughter got a good laugh and said "i love the smell of tire smoke" (her daughter drives a jr dragster) and after the smoke cleared we pulled into the drive. took this pic this morning since it was 10pm when the smoke show began.

Attachment 62575

cbrahs 06-21-2011 11:18 AM

after a couple weeks of running the "S" software, I will be doing the deletes and going "ME" and doing the same dyno regime and post results. Mainly I am going for mileage results. The trip in August is going to be fun and with nearly 3000 miles round trip, should be able to get a great mpg avg.

redlineguy 06-21-2011 11:31 AM

Sweet!!

yellowhemi 06-21-2011 03:07 PM

Awesome! Is the "S" setting the one you can run with all of the emissions still in place? How long till this programmer is released for the public?

cbrahs 06-21-2011 03:27 PM

yes, you run "S" with emission stuff installed. not sure when the final version will be released but with what I am feeling with my taildyno it won't be too long. I dyno next friday and will post results

Gry113500 06-21-2011 04:38 PM

I have to agree! its like a whole new truck with the JR. I'm hoping that Marco will be coming out the the adjustable torque settings soon so, we'll have my to play with. I plan on dynoing mine soon at Drake's shop, just haven't had the time yet

Shootist 06-21-2011 07:09 PM

cbrahs - Semper Fi to your son!

You painted the lines on the street with the Smarty Jr. on a stock truck?

You said that you plan to delete, but don't you have emmission testing in ABQ? I live in Los Alamos, so I can still smoke'em...if I can keep a truck long enough to break it in. [laugh]

New2Diesel 06-21-2011 07:24 PM

Gentlemen of the DTR, I hate to say this but my H&S was equally as impressive. What is the difference? Unless there are described differences, I see no reason to wait.

I was waiting for Smarty but chose not to. I am fully satisfied! But, if I can stack the 2 I will! Is that even possible?

Gry113500 06-21-2011 08:04 PM

New2Diesel,

I personally have nothing against H&S products, and I've heard good thing about them. That being said, I had a Smarty SR S06 on my 07 5.9 and it was by far the best programmer available if you ask me (or countless others). Not to mention the customer support that MADS and Bob Wagner offer is awesome. That is why I will continue to buy MADS Smarty products.

cbrahs 06-21-2011 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by New2Diesel (Post 2983916)
Gentlemen of the DTR, I hate to say this but my H&S was equally as impressive. What is the difference? Unless there are described differences, I see no reason to wait.

I was waiting for Smarty but chose not to. I am fully satisfied! But, if I can stack the 2 I will! Is that even possible?

This will not turn into a smarty vs h&s bashing thread but a review of the beta version of the smarty that is being tested.

I have installed a ton of H&S products and like them. They do have a couple features that are different from the smarty (besides the obvious having gauges built in). I have been running smarty on my last truck with nearly 100k miles with ZERO issues, failures, gauge failures (cause it aint got em), obdII connector issues (personally dealt with a couple of them with H&S).

to each his own and what they want to do with the product and the truck. hands down, the smarty is more powerful than the H&S for big HP and its proven.

SO, back on subject with the smarty review.

Blake Clark 06-21-2011 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs (Post 2984019)
This will not turn into a smarty vs h&s bashing thread but a review of the beta version of the smarty that is being tested.

Exactly. Let's keep this civil. From BOTH sides too.

Brian, Personally I have nothing against H&S and it would be my second choice in a tuner. It's just for me, the Smarty is familiar and like home. I know what to expect out of my truck with it and that makes me so much more comfy becoming my own warranty station.

Lil Dog 06-22-2011 10:51 AM

Dealing with a good local Diesel shop, he sells both the H&S and the Smarty. But alas I am of about 5 guys he knows of that run Smarty.. :( I can tell though who has the H&S by the smoke trail.

xp8103 06-22-2011 07:33 PM

Can't wait to see the dyno and mpg results!

cbrahs 06-22-2011 07:43 PM

me too. now have to train my foot to listen to my brain! LOL

filled up the truck last night to the rim. reset trip meter. doing town/city driving and will post those results as soon as I refill and hand calculate. will post EVIC states mpg and hand calc mpg

New2Diesel 06-22-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark (Post 2984045)
Exactly. Let's keep this civil. From BOTH sides too.

Brian, Personally I have nothing against H&S and it would be my second choice in a tuner. It's just for me, the Smarty is familiar and like home. I know what to expect out of my truck with it and that makes me so much more comfy becoming my own warranty station.

Does Smarty have "On Board" gages as H&S does?