4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2 micron on a 10 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:10 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad to hear you showed it who was boss....

Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 PM
I pet my truck from time to time....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting a fuel filtration system soon and was wondering if an extra water seperator was really needed when the factory filter has water seperation? I'm thinking the 2 mic fuel filter is all I will need.

Is there any flow advantage to running the shorter fuel lines straight in line like the Cat system shown, or disadvantage to making long 90 degree turns like on the XX kit? I'm guessing not but was curious.

But one thing I thought might matter was driving offroad that the XX kit lines are much more suceptible to getting hung up on brush than the Cat kit with the shorter straighter lines. Just a thought.

And, I can't tell if the XX kit mounts much higher than the Cat kit from the pics. I do like the seat mounts of the XX better than the Cats bolt to frame mount.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 PM

I have the XX kit, and with the design they did for the bracket holding the filter heads, the bottom of the filters are high. I don't off road hard, but never had a issue with them to date. My friend has the filters off his frame and he has had issue with the filters showing scrape marks on them. You should be good.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM

I looked at the xx system and GDP mkII. If you go with the xx system you can't keep the factory filter in place and your water in fuel light will no longer be of any use as the water separator will be in your new filter system. I chose to go with Glacier Diesel Product, because you maintain factory setup and gain after filter treatment and it rides high in the engine bay so you won't have to worry about it scraping on anything. I will be installing mine next weekend if the weather holds out and I will be posting photos in my reliability build thread.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 AM

The XX fuel system has an attachment you put on the F/W that connects to the OEM system telling you if there's water in it. You place it on all replacement filters and constantly used. You can use the OEM filter (if your lift pump is fair to good) and will last a very long time since your final filter of 2 microns will clean the fuel before getting to the OEM unit which filters less than the final filter on the XX. I prefer the XX system since it is easier / less messy to change out the filters and plenty of clearance. Either way, it's better to have the fuel filtered properly.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by carl48
that one is not my kit, only the ugly ones are mine. here is the link to it
http://www.cumminscatfuelfilter.com/ snyder it takes almost 20 minutes to install and put the tools up
Anyone know if this.Cat setup will work on a 2011 truck? The website says it works on the 5.9s and may work on other trucks as well. But no specific info on the 4gens
Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 AM
The Guru

You can run the additional filters on the block, with the stock lift pump. I would just tee in a pressure gauges, so you can monitor the fuel pressure.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 AM

When I asked them about that they didn't indicate it would work, they did say you must remove stock filter. I agree more filtration is better. The cc is probably the nicest looking setup and install simple.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by unit74
Anyone know if this.Cat setup will work on a 2011 truck? The website says it works on the 5.9s and may work on other trucks as well. But no specific info on the 4gens
Thats pretty much the same as the GDP universal set I'm running, except I have the additional water sep. with it. I don't worry about water in this turning on a light - I just make sure to crack it open every month on the 1st. So far I've seen very little water in the GDP and none in the OEM.

As for draging these off when they are mounted on the frame - if I bottom hard enough to take them out, the DPF-exhaust, the axles, tranny, Xfer case and my wheelchair lift are going to all be ground off and I'll be spending a long time in the hospital.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:24 PM

I bought the GDP MK2 kit today. After reading a 68 page thread on cummins forum, it seems like the way to go. Basically, filtering via step-downs and the last filter being the 2 micron GPD. So first stock filter/water separator should be 20um, then the stock filter is 7um then the GDP set up is down to 2um absolute (once I get the Cat filter for it). Makes sense to me to do it that way.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by unit74
I bought the GDP MK2 kit today. After reading a 68 page thread on cummins forum, it seems like the way to go. Basically, filtering via step-downs and the last filter being the 2 micron GPD. So first stock filter/water separator should be 20um, then the stock filter is 7um then the GDP set up is down to 2um absolute (once I get the Cat filter for it). Makes sense to me to do it that way.
That's a plan!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the cat will work on the 2011. bs about removing stock filter just leave it in and forget it. do not place the filters after the stock one. on the xx or my filter use wix 33406 followed by 33674 on the cat use 33674 or cat 1R0749
Old 01-29-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by carl48
the cat will work on the 2011. bs about removing stock filter just leave it in and forget it. do not place the filters after the stock one. on the xx or my filter use wix 33406 followed by 33674 on the cat use 33674 or cat 1R0749
From what I have been pouring over, that is incorrect. You are suggesting that one filter bear the weight of filtering the whole system. By placing the finest partical filter ahead of filters with higher values, you have negated the need for them. Thus, removal is irrelevent. They will do nothing but cause obstruction and may in fact introduce particles larger than 2um into the stream via media shedding.

By placing the finest filter at the end of the flow system, you guarantee filtration at the last possible point prior to injection.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM
I pet my truck from time to time....

After a little more readin-up, I agree Unit74 that the GDP kit sounds like it will be the best option. I've never had a water in fuel light in 12 years and filtration after stock makes the most sense to me; plus keeping it high and dry in the engine bay takes the worry out of dragging anything below. At first I was worried about vibration mounting it up front, but my 11 is as smooth as a gasser compared to my 01, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Now, off to order me up a GDP MK2
Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ive got one, they are great.

But, an AirDog is about to go on my truck, and the factory system will be abandoned.

However, the AirDog will be pushing fuel through the 2micron.

Carl,

Can you please explain to me the logic of passing fuel that has been filtered to 2 microns through a 7 micron filter?

Quick Reply: 2 micron on a 10 CTD