Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/)
-   -   2 micron on a 10 CTD (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/2-micron-10-ctd-299542/)

C Schomer 01-16-2012 09:19 PM

2 micron on a 10 CTD

I have a friend with a 2010 and I've been shopping for a 2 mic kit for it. GDP has one but the filter bracket is meant to be at the top/left corner of the engine. Richard said the 2010s got tighter as far as finding space for things like that. The 10 also takes a different fitting on the oem filter housing and Richard has them. I mounted mine behind the lt. fog lite and I really like it there. Has anyone found enough space other than the top/left corner of the engine? Any other ideas or vendors are welcome. TIA! Craig

New2Diesel 01-17-2012 05:44 AM

What is the problem with mounting it with the GDP bracket on the engine?

I have a 2011 and it fit flawlessly. Been working great for 10K miles

carl48 01-17-2012 07:55 AM

mount the filter on the frame
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...rljr48/252.jpg
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...jr48/177-1.jpg
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...rljr48/168.jpg
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...jr48/125-1.jpg
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...rljr48/024.jpg

tcr 01-17-2012 09:46 AM

Can the factory LP handle this additional restriction of these additional filters in series w/ the stock assembly? I've always installed a HP LP on my other trucks, but on my 2012 I'm considering just a 2 mic filter head on the frame rail and leaving everything stock.

6 Shaker 01-17-2012 10:23 AM

Can the factory LP handle this additional restriction of these additional filters in series w/ the stock assembly? I've always installed a HP LP on my other trucks, but on my 2012 I'm considering just a 2 mic filter head on the frame rail and leaving everything stock.
I installed the GDP 2 micron kit on my truck. I also have the Insight fuel pressure accessory kit installed. I haven't been able to pull the pressure down below 7psi even while towing....So I would say the factory LP is acceptable.

Blake Clark 01-17-2012 07:13 PM

All systems go on both points. My and Dads MK2 kit fit perfect with no issues.

Haven't seen any drop in fuel pressure either.

carl48 01-18-2012 09:05 AM

all of the pix are on stock lift pump and i have several more setup this way, no pix. my setup not as pretty but cost is $60 for bases and filters. change the filters when the gauge reaches 2 psi under load, you never have to change the stock filter. three of our 06's have the stock filter from the factory

ljvsnyder 01-18-2012 09:23 AM

xx fuel

Any one have any experience with this system, price seems nice and install seems pretty simple.

http://xx-fuel.com/OnlineStore/inclu...utton_prev.gif
http://xx-fuel.com/OnlineStore/inclu...oduct_list.gif
http://xx-fuel.com/OnlineStore/inclu...utton_next.gif
http://xx-fuel.com/OnlineStore/image.../10223_MED.jpg
larger image
Dodge Cummins High Mount Two Filter System

$299.00

System #10223 Fits 2010-2012 Cummins Powered Dodge Standard Cab, Quad Cab and Mega Cab pickups ONLY.
If you have a 2003-2009 truck, you need System #10213.

carl48 01-18-2012 06:30 PM

i have, it is a good kit it uses the 1-14 thread bases and uses the two side seat bolts instead of the two half seat bolts that i use. a good kit

ljvsnyder 01-18-2012 08:41 PM

Is it easy to install and any issues with it

anoldbiker 01-19-2012 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by ljvsnyder (Post 3067719)
Is it easy to install and any issues with it

I have it on my '06 and glad I have it. The only issue I has was after installation, the fuel flow didn't happen. After taking it apart, I found a small bit of rubber blocking the outlet fitting. My fault, I should have disassembled the unit and verified it was good to go before installing it. Also, I haven't changed out my OeM lift pump yet and the unit causes no issue with pressure or flow. Easiest installation I've done in a long time. It's worth the cost.

Nevada 01-19-2012 03:03 PM

carl48 - in the first photograph, what is the transition fitting that allows you to go from the hard plastic fuel line to regular fuel line? I have a local shop that makes up custom hoses, but I'm not sure what to ask for.

carl48 01-19-2012 06:49 PM

that one is not my kit, only the ugly ones are mine. here is the link to it
http://www.cumminscatfuelfilter.com/ snyder it takes almost 20 minutes to install and put the tools up

DieselBoy20 01-21-2012 04:22 PM

I would use the GDP kit that mounts on the air intake elbow again in a heartbeat. Had one on my 5.9. I also had the mount vibrate and break at one point and Rich at GDP sent me a new one within day's of calling him for free. That guy alone makes buying stuff from GDP worth it, hes a heck of a guy!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.095107,-111.771843

ljvsnyder 01-21-2012 07:50 PM

Ordering my filter system from GDP on monday, a lot has to do with the favt that they have the best customer service of any company I have experienced. Plus given the recommendation of forum members here.

Oh Blake you were right about changing fuel filter finally got mine off. Had to climb into engine bay to get the right angle, but once it broke loose easy as pie.

Blake Clark 01-26-2012 04:10 AM

Glad to hear you showed it who was boss....

:hehe:

SILVER GUS 01-28-2012 10:47 PM

I'm getting a fuel filtration system soon and was wondering if an extra water seperator was really needed when the factory filter has water seperation? I'm thinking the 2 mic fuel filter is all I will need.

Is there any flow advantage to running the shorter fuel lines straight in line like the Cat system shown, or disadvantage to making long 90 degree turns like on the XX kit? I'm guessing not but was curious.

But one thing I thought might matter was driving offroad that the XX kit lines are much more suceptible to getting hung up on brush than the Cat kit with the shorter straighter lines. Just a thought.

And, I can't tell if the XX kit mounts much higher than the Cat kit from the pics. I do like the seat mounts of the XX better than the Cats bolt to frame mount.

anoldbiker 01-28-2012 11:03 PM

I have the XX kit, and with the design they did for the bracket holding the filter heads, the bottom of the filters are high. I don't off road hard, but never had a issue with them to date. My friend has the filters off his frame and he has had issue with the filters showing scrape marks on them. You should be good.

ljvsnyder 01-29-2012 07:57 AM

I looked at the xx system and GDP mkII. If you go with the xx system you can't keep the factory filter in place and your water in fuel light will no longer be of any use as the water separator will be in your new filter system. I chose to go with Glacier Diesel Product, because you maintain factory setup and gain after filter treatment and it rides high in the engine bay so you won't have to worry about it scraping on anything. I will be installing mine next weekend if the weather holds out and I will be posting photos in my reliability build thread.

anoldbiker 01-29-2012 08:16 AM

The XX fuel system has an attachment you put on the F/W that connects to the OEM system telling you if there's water in it. You place it on all replacement filters and constantly used. You can use the OEM filter (if your lift pump is fair to good) and will last a very long time since your final filter of 2 microns will clean the fuel before getting to the OEM unit which filters less than the final filter on the XX. I prefer the XX system since it is easier / less messy to change out the filters and plenty of clearance. Either way, it's better to have the fuel filtered properly.

unit74 01-29-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by carl48 (Post 3068108)
that one is not my kit, only the ugly ones are mine. here is the link to it
http://www.cumminscatfuelfilter.com/ snyder it takes almost 20 minutes to install and put the tools up

Anyone know if this.Cat setup will work on a 2011 truck? The website says it works on the 5.9s and may work on other trucks as well. But no specific info on the 4gens

Mike Holmen 01-29-2012 09:46 AM

You can run the additional filters on the block, with the stock lift pump. I would just tee in a pressure gauges, so you can monitor the fuel pressure.[coffee]

ljvsnyder 01-29-2012 10:22 AM

When I asked them about that they didn't indicate it would work, they did say you must remove stock filter. I agree more filtration is better. The cc is probably the nicest looking setup and install simple.

Stargeezer 01-29-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by unit74 (Post 3071677)
Anyone know if this.Cat setup will work on a 2011 truck? The website says it works on the 5.9s and may work on other trucks as well. But no specific info on the 4gens

Thats pretty much the same as the GDP universal set I'm running, except I have the additional water sep. with it. I don't worry about water in this turning on a light - I just make sure to crack it open every month on the 1st. So far I've seen very little water in the GDP and none in the OEM.

As for draging these off when they are mounted on the frame - if I bottom hard enough to take them out, the DPF-exhaust, the axles, tranny, Xfer case and my wheelchair lift are going to all be ground off and I'll be spending a long time in the hospital.

unit74 01-29-2012 01:24 PM

I bought the GDP MK2 kit today. After reading a 68 page thread on cummins forum, it seems like the way to go. Basically, filtering via step-downs and the last filter being the 2 micron GPD. So first stock filter/water separator should be 20um, then the stock filter is 7um then the GDP set up is down to 2um absolute (once I get the Cat filter for it). Makes sense to me to do it that way.

Stargeezer 01-29-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by unit74 (Post 3071776)
I bought the GDP MK2 kit today. After reading a 68 page thread on cummins forum, it seems like the way to go. Basically, filtering via step-downs and the last filter being the 2 micron GPD. So first stock filter/water separator should be 20um, then the stock filter is 7um then the GDP set up is down to 2um absolute (once I get the Cat filter for it). Makes sense to me to do it that way.

:agree: That's a plan!

carl48 01-29-2012 04:00 PM

the cat will work on the 2011. bs about removing stock filter just leave it in and forget it. do not place the filters after the stock one. on the xx or my filter use wix 33406 followed by 33674 on the cat use 33674 or cat 1R0749

unit74 01-29-2012 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by carl48 (Post 3071831)
the cat will work on the 2011. bs about removing stock filter just leave it in and forget it. do not place the filters after the stock one. on the xx or my filter use wix 33406 followed by 33674 on the cat use 33674 or cat 1R0749

From what I have been pouring over, that is incorrect. You are suggesting that one filter bear the weight of filtering the whole system. By placing the finest partical filter ahead of filters with higher values, you have negated the need for them. Thus, removal is irrelevent. They will do nothing but cause obstruction and may in fact introduce particles larger than 2um into the stream via media shedding.

By placing the finest filter at the end of the flow system, you guarantee filtration at the last possible point prior to injection.

SILVER GUS 01-29-2012 07:08 PM

After a little more readin-up, I agree Unit74 that the GDP kit sounds like it will be the best option. I've never had a water in fuel light in 12 years and filtration after stock makes the most sense to me; plus keeping it high and dry in the engine bay takes the worry out of dragging anything below. At first I was worried about vibration mounting it up front, but my 11 is as smooth as a gasser compared to my 01, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Now, off to order me up a GDP MK2 :peel:

Blake Clark 01-29-2012 07:17 PM

Ive got one, they are great.

But, an AirDog is about to go on my truck, and the factory system will be abandoned.

However, the AirDog will be pushing fuel through the 2micron.

Carl,

Can you please explain to me the logic of passing fuel that has been filtered to 2 microns through a 7 micron filter?

Stargeezer 01-29-2012 08:52 PM

OK Blake, because you asked.

For me - and most likely only me here - I can slide out of my wheelchair and do what I need to under the truck, and then I am able to do a chin-up to get back into my chair.

But when it comes to doing anything under to hood, I have a boom crane and a manlift harness that we use to lift me up to where I need to be.

In case you'er wondering, the boom crane is NOT a great way to work, but it's all I can do. My son operates the crane and the wife goes shopping. :)

So anything I can setup to service low is great and some times that means I do things a little backwards.

Blake Clark 01-30-2012 05:51 PM

Larry in your case I can completely understand the reasoning behind it.

I was more refering to Carl48's statement about running the 2micron before the 7micron factory filter.

This is how I see it. My example.

You want to filter several different types of media from water. Sand and gravel. You have two different filtering setups. One is a common household spaghetti stainer, this collects the rocks. The second is a pair of your wifes finest panty hose. This collects the sand. Wouldnt it make more sense to pass the water through the spaghetti strainer first, and remove the rocks while the sand continues, and the pass the rock filtered water through the pantyhose and let it filter the sand for clean water.

To me it wouldnt make much sense to pass the rocky sandy water through the pantyhose first, and then pass it through the spaghetti strainer that would be filtering already clean filtered water......

Just my view on things.

Stargeezer 01-30-2012 07:35 PM

[laugh]I thought you'd enjoy the image of a old, fat gimpy guy swinging on a rope over the engine compartment. :) You should see me replacing shingles on a roof! The wife went to her sisters in mississippi for a week when we did that job. [laugh]

ljvsnyder 01-30-2012 09:17 PM

Stargazer,the fact you do the work on your stuff is awesome. So many people let their minor disabilities get in the way. I thought I couldn't do a thing when I had my neck surgery a few years ago. Just noticed your an Illinoisans. I'm in southern Illinois.

Stargeezer 01-31-2012 09:00 AM

I thought I cought a hint of illinois accent in your typing :).We are a little sounth of Peoria. Glad to have you in the group buddy.

We have a lot of family in the area of St. Louis, Marion, West Frankford and my father in law and some of the wifes family is over toward harrisburg.

With as widely scattered family as ours is, there's not too many places in s. Illinois that are not occupied by our tribes. :)

ljvsnyder 01-31-2012 10:11 AM

that accent is my Dell Streaks auto correct. I was raised in the big town of Elkville. just north of carbondale. I lived for about 8 months in Normal when I worked for a collection law firm. Spent a fair amount of time in Tazwell county court house. Next time your down this way give a shout and maybe we can meet.

Stargeezer 01-31-2012 04:17 PM

Most of us around here try to stay out of the Tazewell court house. :) You get a pass of course, if you were a foreigner from abNormal. LOL

I'll be happy to give you a shout on the next "tour" and that goes for you too. I brew a mean expresso!

ljvsnyder 01-31-2012 04:33 PM

Well at least I was paid to be there. I thought it was a pretty nice court house compared to some I had been in. Absolutely if I ever make it to Pekin I will give you a shout. I sometimes go to Peoria for seminars, for some reason they think I need more education, as if 8 years and four degrees wasn't enough. Should have gone to auto tech school, at least then I could work on my truck in a shop as opposed to my gravel driveway.

Kurt802 02-03-2012 04:13 PM

Well, I got my large self over the engine bay today and installed the Glacier Diesel MKII and Big Line Kit. Took me about 2 1/2 hours [redface] very tight access but it's in and working. I used the Fleetguard that came with the kit. I am not ready to delete the EGR and Cooler yet but I had to remove and replace the crossover exhaust pipe to do the GDP filter installation. The crossover exhaust pipe was lined with soot and soot powder fell out :( 1,600 miles on the truck and I don't idle a lot and the exhaust brake is always on. I got to get the tuner and delete this emission system soon.

Stargeezer 02-03-2012 04:35 PM

The Dodge guys have got to be getting a ton of repairs over this crud. I wonder what it will take before they understand it was a mistake and fix it right. I know they can't (won't) fight with the EPA but there has to be something that they can do.