4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What Oil do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Shell Rotella T

If its good enough for dang near every diesel engine operating in the Gulf Of Mexico, its good enough for my truck.
Couldn't agree more. Pretty much every farmer and or truck driver I have ever talked to have said the same!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Hi Como - how many miles do you put on in a year?

BTW the things I said about oils should be considered as they were given - applied to a race car that was driven at high RPMs, overreved when down shiffed, overheated and generally abused badly for 2-4 thousand miles. We were happy if we got through a week with the thing intact. Plus that was 40 years ago.

Larry
Larry , As of now 1/22/11 I have 33,xxx . Ruffly about 10-11 k a year maybe less . As for break in I really noticed between 10-12 k miles she really WOKE UP ! Just like someone flipped a switched on !!!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

hi
rotella 5w-40 synthetic here ,new oil and filter at 10,000 miles ?
seams to work for me at over 300,000 mi.

also easier starting in winter and no oil psi change in hot weather !
Old 01-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Amsoil 15W-40 because I only have to change oil once a year.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx

I also have the bypass filter setup, 2 micron at 98.7% efficiency.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:23 AM

AGCO PowerLube 15W-40 I get a good deal on it!!

We run it in everything we own, whether it's gas, diesel, tractor, truck, lawnmower, etc, etc. We've never had a vehicle get less than 200K miles on it before we got rid of it, and never had an engine failure with it...at least in our trucks.

Tractors, well, they see a little different use, and eventually anything will fail...but it's good enough for $300K machines, and my customers, so it's good enough for us.

It also used to be blended by Kendall...might still be, but all they tell us anymore is it's a blended oil.
Chris
Old 01-22-2011, 08:25 AM

I am presently using Amsoil synthetic 15/40 but price is increasing and thinking of using Rotella synthetic from now on. I believe in synthetic b/c it tests out better under all conditions so why not the extra protection.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Cenpeco 15W-40 Purchased in 55 gallon drums. Use it in everything.
Our family business has been using Cenpeco for 78 years.
Central Petroleum Co. is the very embodiment of boring, no glitter, no glitz, sure cure for insomnia.

A very experienced mechanic removed the valve covers from the spouse's Monte Carlo (170,000 miles) as part of a timing belt install.
He made it a point to inquire as to what kind of oil we use.
He stated in all his years disassembling engines he had never seen an engine so clean internally.

Grandpap always said there were only three oils he'd ever use:
Lubrication Engineers
Shaeffers
Central Petroleum

Motor oil preference sadly is based more on blind faith rather than on long term 'hard cold facts' experience. Asking here is like asking someone to objectively evaluate his grandchildren.
Get around, talk to some heavy machinery operators in your area, bet you won't find any of them running pyramid scheme Amsoil or similarly 'everybody gets a financial cut' motor oil.

Oils you should probably avoid are those with lavish advertising budgets and those with a pyramid sales structure.
Andy Granatelli's advertising budget for STP in the 1960's was reportedly 50% of STP's revenues is an example of exorbitant promotion for a product that would fill your oil pan with a sludge like residue.
A lot of the present motor oil promoters learned their lessons well from STP.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ghenges
pyramid scheme Amsoil
If you run any business, you get a "financial cut" from every single employee at the company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsoil
"AMSOIL markets their products through a Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) network of dealers who sell to defined customer types known as wholesale customers, retail accounts and commercial accounts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilevel_marketing
"critics have charged that MLMs are nothing more than pyramid schemes"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme
"A pyramid scheme is a non-sustainable business model that involves promising participants payment, services or ideals, primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme or training them to take part, rather than supplying any real investment or sale of products or services to the public."
Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 AM

I switched from Rotella to Mobil Delvac 15-40. No rosmella fumes and a built-in pour spout(no foil seal to peel off) in the gallon jug caps.
Name:  Mobil_Delvac.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  4.2 KB
Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dott
"AMSOIL markets their products through a Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) network of dealers who sell to defined customer types known as wholesale customers, retail accounts and commercial accounts."
Amsoil may indeed be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Speaking adversely of any mass chosen internet anointed product is akin to burning the flag.

Any company that requires a customer to PAY to be a preferred customer should be immediately suspect.

May be the best oil in the world, but the marketing plan lumps it into the category of companies to avoid.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Not sure I understand all the heartburn. If I wanted to be an ARP fastener dealer, it would cost $10,000 to sell for them.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 PM

Any company that requires a customer to PAY to be a preferred customer should be immediately suspect.

May be the best oil in the world, but the marketing plan lumps it into the category of companies to avoid
Not to make a big thing about this; but, I don't think Mobile, Shell or any other oil company is willing to sell oil to you at distributor price for the annual cost of a magazine subscription. You may not understand or appreciate the marketing plan and that's fine, but you can be sure that none of the profits from Amsoil go to the middle east or Venezuela.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 AM
The Guru

I run 5W40 petrocanada duron. That stuff puts a nice oily film on everything and its super slippery. It clings to everything, never seen anything like it. If you have any on the floor, its worse than ice. 0W40 for the cold months. I put that oil in at 1000miles.

Trouble is we aren't going to a failure with these new engines, as a result of oil failure, regardless of what oil we buy. Probably more engine failures are from the common rail injection system. When the 6.7L smogger junk dies in the 10 truck, I just slam in a P7100 pump 6.7L engine. At that point I'll probably get 500000miles out it. This new stuff isn't that great...
Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by genesag
Sorry to disagree with you guys, but I'm on my 5th and 6th Dodge Cummins (03 D-3500 with 157K and 07 D-2500 with 41K) and have run Amsoil full synthetic in all of them since new (ran OEM oil in them until first oil change at 5K). Not a one has ever used oil. In fact the 03 has a by-pass filter and gets oil analysis every 25,000 miles and goes over 75K per oil change and even then analysis says oil is suitable for continued use! I change both filters at 25K and never have to add more than 3 qts to fill filters and bring it to full. I've used this same program with the same results on all previous trucks (92, 96, 99, & 02 d-3500s) running each to over 150K with no problems.

BTW the 07 is going 15K on oil change with good oil analysis numbers at change. Getting deleted next week so that I can run longer intervals.

WHy would you change it if its still good?? Seems like a waste. The Amsoil Guy told us you nver need to change it thats the point of Synth. His truck had over 250,000miles and he said he never changes the oil. Just add when it needs it and change the filters.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by redlineguy
WHy would you change it if its still good?? Seems like a waste. The Amsoil Guy told us you nver need to change it thats the point of Synth. His truck had over 250,000miles and he said he never changes the oil. Just add when it needs it and change the filters.
No matter which oil is chosen, there is another brand that will give you more for less - or at least they say they will. I tried Amsoil in minivan I owned a few years back. I followed all the instructions from the "dealer" and in one year the van was burning a quart of oil a month, had a slight motor rattle, oil smoke in the exhust and so on.

I did two oil changes to get the stuff out of the motor but by then the damage was done. I will not use any program that does noy include regular oil changes. Compared to the price of the motor, oil is cheap.

Quick Reply: What Oil do you use and why?