4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What Kind of MPG are you guys getting

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck averages 17mpg with 80% highway driving. That is with the speedo slightly off. I have 285/70/27 tires.

My truck has 77k miles and 1934 hours. This means my average speed is 39.8 MPH. I consider this to be mostly highway. When I got the truck it averaged 15mpg. Started breaking in and getting a little better mileage around 40-45k miles. Some 100 mile trips without going into regen I will get 20-21mpg, then the regen happens and puts me back to a 17 mileage. The one complaint I have with fuel mileage is when towing small loads. My older trucks could tow my 4k lb boat and get 14-15 mpg. I get 12 towing the same boat.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM

I just did a 200 mile trip where I couldn't go over 70 and averaged 17.2. Most of the time I average 12's with combined driving throwing in a 27' enclosed sled trailer or 22' open atv trailer on the weekends. If I hook on to the toy hauler though the mileage drops to 9. I just turned 9k on the odo.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Henrie
. Only thing changed on that big red monster is the air filter, upgraded to a K&N (now it whistles slightly when you accelerate! Haha!) ...!
Welcome to the forum!

You might want to get rid of that K&N, they're bad news in a diesel.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM

My 06 mega cab would get 18-23mpg, that was a with an AEM intake, and a Banks Monster 4" cat back on it. Now my new 12 mega cab so far with 5000 miles on it gets 9-12 mpg. This is going to get very expensive really quick.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Welcome to the forum!

You might want to get rid of that K&N, they're bad news in a diesel.
Gotta love a place full of dodge enthusiasts. ;D But may I ask why I should replace the K&N? Not arguing specifically for the filter, but it' been on the truck since it was new and I've long since lost the original setup.

What would you replace it with?

EDIT: After back-tracking through the forum and realizing that I'm in the 4th Gen section, I'm sorry to have embarrassed you 6.7L guys with my sexy fuel mileage. :P
Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 AM

Recent mileage on newly deleted 2012

Drove from s/w PA to upstate NY some turnpike driving but mostly two lanes average speed 65mph and I got 21.8mpg. I just had the H&S Mini Maxx and Pro Flo 4" SS turbo back put on at 3300miles. I run it on performance all the time and when you need the power it's there. My trip was 352 miles and that was half a tank getting up there.

I didnt delete the parts of the emissions just shut them off with the mini maxx.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 AM

13.62 over 49,000 miles
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Henrie
Gotta love a place full of dodge enthusiasts. ;D But may I ask why I should replace the K&N? Not arguing specifically for the filter, but it' been on the truck since it was new and I've long since lost the original setup.

What would you replace it with?
K&N air filters get trashed on here pretty regularly. They let too much dirt through. Here are some sample threads of what people typically say: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ighlight=k%26N
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...26N+air+filter
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...26N+air+filter

My only experience other than stock has been with an oiled S&B I put on my 3rd gen. It was great for mpgs (for the first couple of weeks after cleaning) but it too let too much dust through. You could see the dust in the intake tube (between the filter and the turbo) . Follow-on designs may have eliminated that issue. If that wasn't enough, I also hated cleaning it and letting it dry. I went back to stock, and used an AC-Delco filter for the most part as it gets the best ratings for filtration and flow according to this study:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Other options you might want to consider for a 3rd gen are the dry AFE and S&B units, or assemble your own BHAF: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...highlight=BHAF

4th gens apparently get along fine with the stock set-up.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
i get 16 city and 18 highway.... DOPE! I drive a first gen this is a 4th gen section.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 AM

I think I need to clear up a couple things.

This truck doesn't get as good of mileage as my 3rd, 2nd or 1st gen did.
My first response to the mileage was I didn't care because the truck is so much better than the other trucks combined and I'm certainly not walking. Also, the last time I checked, a Prius ain't pulling my trailers that's for sure.

In the end I could care less about mileage. I want the truck to do the tasks I need it to do while carrying the wife, our three boys and me wherever we need to get to safely and comfortably with plenty of go. This truck does it and I'm extremely happy with it. As far as I'm concerned Dodge hit this one out of the park.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM

Good reply Staarma. I agree with you completely. Glad to hear someone who doesn't worry about the small stuff. If I was concerned about mileage I'd drive a Prius!!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by wyosteve
Good reply Staarma. I agree with you completely. Glad to hear someone who doesn't worry about the small stuff. If I was concerned about mileage I'd drive a Prius!!
Hummmm, it might be "small stuff" but having the same size fuel tank as a previous version of the truck and only getting just over half the mileage just doesn't work for anyone with long stints between refuel stations and when you do need assistance because you are out of fuel you can only get 5 gallons, enough to get you 60 miles down the road. Carry a slip tank? well you could if the truck had a decent payload. While I do agree it's a nice truck to drive Dodge screwed up a lot of things on this model that I see they have tried to correct on the 2013's, we can only hope so.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 AM

You have to remember the 6 P's when thinking about fuel stop planning is all. Dodge was dealt the EPA hand they had to play with. I love this truck and know it's their best work to date. But it's all my opinion and you're right, I don't sweat the small stuff. Coming up on one year of ownership in April and no complaints so far.

The real answer is to stop playing to all these little babies screaming the sky is falling and to deregulate and defund the EPA. Another four years of the madness though before that happens. Hopefully there will be something left by then or maybe we'll all be raptured by then who knows.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by staarma
You have to remember the 6 P's when thinking about fuel stop planning is all. Dodge was dealt the EPA hand they had to play with. I love this truck and know it's their best work to date. But it's all my opinion and you're right, I don't sweat the small stuff. Coming up on one year of ownership in April and no complaints so far.

The real answer is to stop playing to all these little babies screaming the sky is falling and to deregulate and defund the EPA. Another four years of the madness though before that happens. Hopefully there will be something left by then or maybe we'll all be raptured by then who knows.
I like the way you think!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2012 regular cab 4x4 with 3.73 gears H.O. automatic gets around 16 highway and 11 in town...about or a little better than expected. I have only owned it a month so I expect the fuel economy to improve somewhat. All the 1st and 2nd generation trucks I have owned were better on fuel and MUCH less powerful. My stock 2002 that I owned for 6 years was great but 12000 lbs behind it made it a slow and noisy truck. It did get 19mpg highway even with 4.10 gears. But I will take the trade off for 350hp and 800 ft/lb torque. My wife has a "11 Jetta TDI 6sp. manual that averages about 41 mpg and will get to 48-50 on trips. That makes everything else seem very inefficient.

Quick Reply: What Kind of MPG are you guys getting