4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Upper/lower switch banks inop

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

If I am posting under the wrong forum please let me know. I have a frustrating issue going on with my RAM 3500. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I purchased a used 2010 RAM 1 ton Laramie with all the whistles , a/c seats, heated steering wheel, etc. While I was re wiring the trailer brakes on my trailer i shorted out the system By accident. I visually saw this and unplugged the trailer from truck and continued the rewire. I would deal with the flown fuse later. Once I finished I plugged trailer back in and everything worked fine without having to replace a fuse which I thought was odd. My turn signals worked my brake lights, running lights, trailer brakes etc. All was working fine.
When I took it in for inspection I failed for a horn that did not work. When I got home to try to figure out the horn situation I realized that both my upper and lower switch banks were not working , my steering wheel radio volume controls, as well as the controls that navigate the instrument cluster ( transmission temp, fuel mileage, Miles till empty etc) were not working. the interior lights and cargo lamps on truck also are not working.

My hazards work, cruise control work, my radio and navigation work, my trailer lights and trailer brakes work. Also my instrument information center is illuminated but can not be navigated. It is worth noting that though I shorted out my trailer lights prior to all these problems my horn was sometimes intermittent before I even hooked a trailer up but all other button functions and lights were working. While looking through my manual I noticed that my tipm relay and fuse lay out is that of a gas Engine and not a diesel. I took it into Covert dodge dealership in Austin, tx and they verified that I had the correct tipm that matches the vin # for my truck. They gave me a list of active codes and stored codes. I have a picture attachment. Three different mechanics told me to try a new tipm and that could fix all my issues any thoughts here? Where should I start?

Upper/lower switch banks inop-image.jpg
Old 10-25-2014, 04:20 PM

Active Codes:

Amp B14c1 channel 10 audio speaker output circuit open
CCN. U1191 lost communication with upper switch bank
CCN. U1109 lost communication with LIN steering wheel controls
HSM. B11C1-13 steering wheel heater power supply circuit-circuit open

Stored codes:
WCM P0928. BYSI control unit
DMFL. B21A1-00 ECU reset/ recovery occurred
HSM. B11DC-13. Rear heated seats power supply circuit open
HSM. U1446-00. Implausible heated steering wheel temp message received (CCN)

TIPMCGW b17B2. Rear right trailer turn lamp control circuit low.

Also it is worth noting that my right rear trailer turn signal is often intermittent and while this occurs my trailer brakes will be applied on their own.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Replace the TIPM. You can do it yourself. I have a 2010 with random nuisances caused by the TIPM. They are problematic but it sounds like you caused yours to go out on accident. You shouldn't need any reprogramming from the dealer as it will pull from the CCN (instrument cluster), ecm, and other modules on the truck.

I'm going to eventually replace mine.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:50 PM

I have the same issue with my 2012 ram 3500 6.7 it started after I pressure washed the under carriage. Same issues upper and lower switch banks interior lights horn steering wheel controls inop but the cruise does works. All fuses ok. So I installed a used tipm and I still have the same issue but also a air bag light on now. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.