Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/)
-   -   Torque Management question (??) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/torque-management-question-324734/)

Bunkysdad 03-31-2016 12:15 PM

Torque Management question (??)

I currently have a 07.5 6.7 with 68rfe, but am thinking about ordering a new truck...Been hearing bits about 'torque management' and a delayed (dead) throttle response (not present on my 07.5), but would like to understand 'what else' this TM feature impacts (??), and whether it effects the the Aisin along with the 68rfe...

Thanks, Bunkysdad

Busboy 03-31-2016 07:23 PM

I believe the 2011 68rfe was the last truck that did not have Traction control the 2011 g56 did. While it was possible to permanently turn off the TC on the 2011 G56 using a programmer it's not possible to "permanently" turn it off on any 2013 and up truck, G56 68rfe or aisin.. If you tow imagine towing on bumpy gravel or ice then get a little wheel spin and the truck suddenly decide to quickly slow down the truck not taking into account there's a trailer back there. Imagine trying to pull out into traffic with that same trailer and the truck decides to not give you the acceleration you asked for. It's a terrible decision Dodge made to not be able to "permanently" turn off the TC, worse still to have it automatically turn back on when you reach 40 mph.

Bunkysdad 03-31-2016 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy (Post 3300518)
I believe the 2011 68rfe was the last truck that did not have Traction control the 2011 g56 did. While it was possible to permanently turn off the TC on the 2011 G56 using a programmer it's not possible to "permanently" turn it off on any 2013 and up truck, G56 68rfe or aisin.. If you tow imagine towing on bumpy gravel or ice then get a little wheel spin and the truck suddenly decide to quickly slow down the truck not taking into account there's a trailer back there. Imagine trying to pull out into traffic with that same trailer and the truck decides to not give you the acceleration you asked for. It's a terrible decision Dodge made to not be able to "permanently" turn off the TC, worse still to have it automatically turn back on when you reach 40 mph.

Interesting, I was not aware... Is this TC a part of torque management ?
Thx, Bunkysdad

Busboy 03-31-2016 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bunkysdad (Post 3300529)
Interesting, I was not aware... Is this TC a part of torque management ?
Thx, Bunkysdad

Yes I believe Traction control is torque management, it's one of the reasons I kept my 2011 68rfe and didn't upgrade to a 2014 after my son moved from his 2011 G56 to his 2013 Aisin.. While I love my 68rfe it does have the H&S transmission tuning and parts are readily available, not so with the Aisin in my sons 2013 and wiring to control the transmission has been a problem and has cropped up again 2 days ago, he wishes he went with the G56 even though he destroyed the one in his 2011, it's mechanical and easy to fix. I have always said that the ONLY way to avoid automatic transmission problems is to buy a manual.

Bunkysdad 03-31-2016 09:19 PM

Thanks for the detailed info, I've already ruled out the Aisin since my towing scenario never gets much above 4k lbs, and I love my present ever faithful 68rfe (with 4:10), towing 4k lbs up the high Sierra elevations with a 5k lb loaded cab-over camper aboard, always plenty of reserve power and ideal gear ratios. Really can't see any practical need for the Aisin, but I do believe that the 4:10 makes for less torque stress on any tranny.... JMHO

Bunkysdad

DodgeCowboy 04-02-2016 07:07 AM

So for what it's worth on my 2014 g56 u have the option to turn off the TC via a button by my exhaust brake, 99% of the time I usually have it on and never had a situation where I felt it was hindering me, I do how ever turn it off when I'm feeding cattle or hauling across soft dirt with heavy loads.

Busboy 04-02-2016 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy (Post 3300638)
So for what it's worth on my 2014 g56 u have the option to turn off the TC via a button by my exhaust brake, 99% of the time I usually have it on and never had a situation where I felt it was hindering me, I do how ever turn it off when I'm feeding cattle or hauling across soft dirt with heavy loads.

Doesn't it Automatically turn back on when you drive over 40mph? The 2013 does and it stays on.

Ah wait you have a Bully Dog, I know the BD doesn't interface with the automatic transmission in any way but the traction control is engie control, perhaps the BD enables the TC to remqin off.

DodgeCowboy 04-03-2016 07:15 AM

No I'm all stock only have the bd for monitoring, I'm pretty sure mine stays off I'll check to see if I'm Loco or not.

Busboy 04-03-2016 10:32 AM

My son had a 2011 G56 with a Mini max and the mini max was able to permanently turn off the traction control.

RAMRODD 04-03-2016 12:28 PM

I have to say I like the traction control on my 14. Especially on gravel, it cuts just enough power so you don't spin but it still pulls hard.
I've only turned it off twice. Once breaking threw snowdrifts and another time in mud

lakedaisy 04-03-2016 12:39 PM

If you are interested... This is what the owners manual says about turning the ESC off.

WARNING!
• In the ESC “Full Off” mode, the engine torque reduction and stability features are disabled. Therefore, enhanced vehicle stability offered by the ESC system is unavailable. In an emergency evasive maneuver, the ESC system will not engage to assist in maintaining stability. “ESC Off” mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use only.