Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/)
-   -   Perform Service: 67,500 mile CCV replacement (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/perform-service-67-500-mile-ccv-replacement-329494/)

SOhappy 12-21-2017 03:37 PM

Perform Service: 67,500 mile CCV replacement

Interesting experience, the "Perform Service" message dinged in my EVIC at 67,500 miles. Knew that meant a new CCV filter. I should have had one on hand already, but I thought it would be OK to drive it lightly for a couple of days until the new one arrived. However, my MPGs immediately dropped by 30% and the truck started running funny- less power, not downshifting when it should. I knew there was a potential of oil in the turbo and even a run-away with a clogged filter, but thought it way too much of a coincidence that it actually NEEDED the CCV replaced at EXACTLY the recommended service interval.

Lesson learned: buy a CCV before it's needed. Easy to do yourself by the way, did it in the parking lot at work during lunch, 20 minute job (unless you drop your oil filler cap and it gets stuck between your fan shroud and the radiator like I did, then it's 40 minutes [redface]).

I guess the non-DEF trucks also need a DPF cleaning at that point.

johnh 12-21-2017 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy (Post 3340715)
Interesting experience, the "Perform Service" message dinged in my EVIC at 67,500 miles. Knew that meant a new CCV filter. I should have had one on hand already, but I thought it would be OK to drive it lightly for a couple of days until the new one arrived. However, my MPGs immediately dropped by 30% and the truck started running funny- less power, not downshifting when it should. I knew there was a potential of oil in the turbo and even a run-away with a clogged filter, but thought it way too much of a coincidence that it actually NEEDED the CCV replaced at EXACTLY the recommended service interval.

Lesson learned: buy a CCV before it's needed. Easy to do yourself by the way, did it in the parking lot at work during lunch, 20 minute job (unless you drop your oil filler cap and it gets stuck between your fan shroud and the radiator like I did, then it's 40 minutes [redface]).

I guess the non-DEF trucks also need a DPF cleaning at that point.

more reason to keep what i have!!!

Busboy 12-22-2017 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by johnh (Post 3340720)

I recently had the chance to buy back my old 2001 2500 QC 4x4 long box that I bought new... I declined. The truck was in excellent shape when I sold it to a friend of my son but it went to work in the oil patch where it was used and abused by many different people and is now nothing like the truck I once owned. Now should my son ever decide to get rid of the 2001 3500 QC Sport 4x4 dually he now owns I would snap that up in a second or even one like it. In a way it's like buying land... they aren't making any more of it.[laugh]

SOhappy 01-03-2018 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by johnh (Post 3340720)

Well, you can easily delete the CCV filter if you don't like it. The DEF 4th gens are worth a few extra headaches vs. the (wonderful, BTW) 5.9s if you ask me....
but they're all great trucks.

Busboy 01-04-2018 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=SOhappy;3341462]Well, you can easily delete the CCV filter if you don't like it. /QUOTE]

Unless things have changed you can't delete the CCV filter on the 2013 and up trucks because of the sensor that is looking for some sort of value of the air coming from the CCV. If you unplug the sensor or remove the sensor but leave it plugged in it throws a code either way.

Scotty 01-05-2018 05:51 AM

[QUOTE=Busboy;3341530]

Originally Posted by SOhappy (Post 3341462)
Well, you can easily delete the CCV filter if you don't like it. /QUOTE]

Unless things have changed you can't delete the CCV filter on the 2013 and up trucks because of the sensor that is looking for some sort of value of the air coming from the CCV. If you unplug the sensor or remove the sensor but leave it plugged in it throws a code either way.

Can you gut the CCV and run it to atmosphere and plug the other end at the turbo inlet? Or does the sensor ‘sense’ the change? Curious here.

Busboy 01-05-2018 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=Scotty;3341576]

Originally Posted by Busboy (Post 3341530)
Can you gut the CCV and run it to atmosphere and plug the other end at the turbo inlet? Or does the sensor ‘sense’ the change? Curious here.

The sensor is looking for a certain "value" and if it doesn't see it it throws a code. On my sons 2013 we were unable to reroute, disconnect or unplug without throwing a code. The sensor wanted a combination of suction from the turbo and pressure from the ccv, that was 4 years ago and maybe someone has a work around now, we just didn't follow up on it.

tobyw 01-05-2018 10:34 AM

On my 2012, I tried one of the CCV delete kits that included a plug for the turbo inlet, and a 90-degree elbow and small breather/filter for the CCV port. Every time the truck would see sustained boost above ~15psi, I would get a *ding* and the Perform Service message would come up on the EVIC. I have since replaced the elbow and breather/filter with a 4' section of old heater hose that runs down to the frame near the coil spring (open-ended), and haven't had the *ding* again. So I'm guessing there is some sort of differential pressure sensor that it looks for, and that breather/filter was too restrictive??

Scotty 01-05-2018 10:50 AM

thanks for the reply’s
I’m going to leave it as is.

Busboy 01-05-2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty (Post 3341582)
thanks for the reply’s
I’m going to leave it as is.

Not sure what year of truck you have but my 2011 has had the ccv delete since almost new and never a problem but it doesn't have that sensor.

Scotty 01-05-2018 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by busboy (Post 3341589)
not sure what year of truck you have but my 2011 has had the ccv delete since almost new and never a problem but it doesn't have that sensor.

16’.

SOhappy 01-25-2018 01:30 PM

Sorry, I stand corrected. No CCV delete. I was sure I read about it on here somewhere.