Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/)
-   -   Oil selection question......deleted vs. non deleted. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/oil-selection-question-deleted-vs-non-deleted-300091/)

Number4b 02-01-2012 01:52 PM

Oil selection question......deleted vs. non deleted.

From my understanding.........
Newer oils, ones that are compliant require a CJ-4 & CES 20081 rating. These new formulas seem to be designed specifically for low emission systems that incorporate DPF and EGR systems. I believe the reasoning is to accommodate diesel dilution and soot residue in the oil more so than previous oil formulas.

Therefor, my question is.........
If you have a truck with the EGR and DPF systems deleted, do you still need to run the CJ-4/CES 20081 rated oil or is there other options?

Mine is deleted and I want to ensure that the engine is running an oil which operates most efficiently and ensures engine longevity. I know that in our high compression methanol race motors, we stay away from these new oils.

1SlowVE 02-01-2012 05:51 PM

I work at a semi dealership and the oil we put into the DPF trucks and we don't have a special oil for them. We have Mobil Delvac or Rotella T. Same oil I run in my Cummins.

Blake Clark 02-01-2012 06:36 PM

Yeah, I dont think that the CJ4 will hurt ya.

I run Rotella T.

amslube 02-01-2012 08:37 PM

Once you are deleted CJ-4 is no longer necessary. I deleted my 2011 at 3200 miles and went to the Amsoil 5W-30 HDD CI-4+ oil. Ran this for 265K in my '01 HO with excellent results. Did an oil analysis with 11K on the oil and no soot or fuel in the oil and oil is good for continued use.

2011 2500 Laramie 2WD G56 Deleted

T210DRVR 02-01-2012 08:42 PM

It's problematic for wholesalers to stock multiple oil specs and as "improved" oil specs come out the old oil is phased out. There was a lot of discussion early on when the CJ spec oil was introduced about whether it really was better. Many of the metallic additives had to be removed or reduced to avoid damage to the DPF and perhaps the catalytic device as well. Zinc compounds in particular were a problem although they were widely used to improve lubrication qualities. The oil companies had to come up with a new formulation to replace these excellent additives. I suppose a chemist may be able to tell you whether the CJ formulation is truly better or simply necessary. My suspicion is that the CI 4+ formulation may be superior but I don't think the engine is going to tell the difference under normal service. However, if you have a stock of CI 4+ laying around (I do) I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a deleted truck.

jdinny 02-08-2012 05:28 PM

I was using 15W-40 Amsoil HD Diesel and Marine until recently. We were going on a trip and I wanted to change the oil. My dealer only had 1 gallon in stock, so I headed to Walmart and picked up 3 gallons of Rotella T6 5W-40 and changed it to that. Seems to be working good, and no Rotella smell

Stargeezer 02-08-2012 06:51 PM

I bought a new Kubota tractor this summer and as it crossed the 10hr mark I pulled the manual out to find out what was needed. Talk about confusion! If the tractor is equiped so and such use XXX, but if it hs a DPF use XXX unless its model AAA - and on and on. UUUggGH! In the end my son and I looked at all the oils we have on the shelves and found one that met all the listed "standards" - good old Rotella T.

After I delete I'm planning on running royal purple. Its in my diffs now and will be in the tranny before too long.

klx650a2 02-08-2012 07:53 PM

Once deleted, you can run cj+4 with no problems. I've been using it in my "adjusted" 6.7 for 2 years without any issues. We're lucky up here, we can get both oils readily available and as I understand it the +4 is a little better due to the added zinc.

New2Diesel 09-04-2018 11:17 PM

Valvoline Premium Blue

only Oil recommended by Cummins, the corporation, for the 5.9/6.7!!

pretty simple decision honestly.
Got (3) gallons at Pilot truck stops yesterday for $17 a gallon