Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/)
-   -   Oil and fuel filter change prices? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/oil-fuel-filter-change-prices-317836/)

Krystal D. Way 05-16-2014 11:24 AM

Oil and fuel filter change prices?

Forgive me for being a bit green when it comes to this forum. I'm not very familiar with Dodge/Ram products or even diesel trucks. Not only am I a woman, I was raised by a man who made a living in foreign cars.

Last year my husband and I bought a 2013 Ram 2500 Diesel quad cab Laramie Edition. We've had all of our oil changes done at the dealer.

The last oil change was supposed to include the changing of the fuel filter. It cost us $169. My husband usually takes our vehicles for maintenance.

Today I took the truck in for an oil and fuel filter change. While I was there they also performed three software updates that they said they did not charge for.

After my two hour appointment it was explained to me by the (female) service writer that the truck has two fuel filters and that both were changed. The total cost for service this morning was $424.

I called my husband before paying the bill. He was explained that last time they only changed only one fuel filter because the other one wasn't in stock (apparently that wasn't explained to him at the time). Cost of oil and labor also went up but all of that considered: should it have cost us $424 for an oil and fuel filter change?

Tell me that we weren't over charged and that they didn't take advantage of the fact that I'm a woman.

RocknRick 05-16-2014 11:51 AM

I think you'll find that the general consensus of the members here is DON'T LET A DEALER TOUCH YOUR TRUCK unless for warranty issues. My 2011 oil/fuel filter change cost me, Fleetguard oil filter $16, Shell Rotella 15w40 $12.99 a gallon x3 and Fleetguard fuel filter $40. I do the labor myself. I believe that the 2013's do have 2 fuel filters. These Trucks are the easiest vehicle that I've had to change the oil and fuel filters. Plus you know it was done right when you do it yourself. Did they take advantage of you? Probably, but not because you're a lady. Most Dealers take advantage of everyone on maintenance service. Hope this helps. Take Care

Rick

2mtrucks 05-16-2014 08:45 PM

Most dealership labor rates are in the area of 120.00 an hour and coupled with high retail parts prices you will pay too much regardless of gender. At $2 per minute it adds up quick. One of the great things about the Cummins engine is the ease of changing the oil and filter. Getting the right filter wrench makes it a breeze...I got mine from Autozone (it was cheap). If you do it yourself it shouldnt take longer than an hour or cost more than 60.00. I do my 2012 myself and I have paid the dealership to do my 2011 Duramax but they charged 165.00 last time so I will be doing it myself in the future.

wyosteve 05-19-2014 08:12 AM

I don't have a '14, but that's outrageous on what they charged you. When I had the dealer do my first oil and oil filter change it was about $80. Even if fuel filters are about $50 ea., you paid more than twice that. As mentioned, learn to change them yourself. Not difficult and for oil, oilfilter, and 2 fuel filters, you shouldn't spend over $150.

Grit Dog 05-19-2014 09:36 AM

Any place that does vehicle servicing will typically up charge the parts and fluids too, but you still paid at least double what that service is worth.
If you want to contest it, just get a couple quotes, one anomalously from that dealer for oil and fuel filter change. Bet they quote you around the $200 range although I don't know how much the new fuel filters are worth. Just an oil/filter change should be around $100.

Fiftygrit 05-19-2014 10:14 AM

Donaldson oil filter $8 bucks, Baldwin fuel filter $12 bucks and in my opinion they do a better job, I have and never will take my truck for service to a dealer, it takes me 5 minutes to change a fuel filter, what you were charged to me is robbery. just my .2c worth

Shorts 05-19-2014 12:57 PM

After my two hour appointment it was explained to me by the (female) service writer that the truck has two fuel filters and that both were changed. The total cost for service this morning was $424.
:o

That's nuts!
I'd highly recommend learning to do your own maintenance.

First find out which filters/part#s you need, then buy them in bulk. And by bulk I mean get like 3-6ea. Same for the oil filters. Grab a couple air filters too. Throw them on your shelf. Then you go and buy 15w40 when it goes on sale for 11.99-12.99 at AutoZone/walmart/oreillyetc and put that on your shelf. Now all you have to do is watch your intervals.

Don't ever let being a woman be an excuse for not knowing truck stuff ;)

Also, Fumoto <-- eliminates the excuse that oil changes are messy.

ETA:
Do you have someone around who might be able to show you how to do these maintenance items on the truck?

jadocs 05-19-2014 07:48 PM

Oil and fuel filter change prices?

I know where you are coming from. This is my first RAM as well. I was also doing research on the cost of filters and doing the job myself. My dealer quoted me $130 per fuel filter, so that would be $260 right there. The quote for an oil change was around $120 or something like that. So approx $380 before tax.

Anyway, just one word of caution as you research what other people are using for filters. Make sure it has the correct micron rating (fuel filter) that is specified in your owners manual for your year/model.

I have found stock MOPAR filters (with the correct part # for my year - 2014) as follows:

Oil filter: $11
Fuel filters (both of them) for $93

And for the record, Ford diesels (6.0+) are easier to work on than RAMs. The engine mounted fuel filter AND oil filter are right on top of the engine. No need for oil filter wrenches, dealing with potential mess of a canister filter, or contorting the oil filter through a wheel well.

Gry113500 05-20-2014 01:04 PM

I pay $56 OTD for an oil change at my local dealer. I change my own fuel filter, costs 40 something for the new filter from the dealer and 5-10 mins or so to swap

Tobin 05-22-2014 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 3237242)

And for the record, Ford diesels (6.0+) are easier to work on than RAMs. The engine mounted fuel filter AND oil filter are right on top of the engine. No need for oil filter wrenches, dealing with potential mess of a canister filter, or contorting the oil filter through a wheel well.

Filters yes, head gaskets not so much....

Abbey109 06-11-2014 06:10 PM

Royal Purple Motor Oil

Does anyone have any long-term experience with using Royal Purple 10w40 motor oil with favorable results?

Pro's and Con's on Royal Purple or other products?

Thanks,

Abbey109

jadocs 06-11-2014 06:26 PM

As long as the oil has all of the requirements as specified in the manual. If it doesn't, I would not run it.

MikeyB 06-12-2014 07:11 AM

I don't think RP 10w-40 is rated for compression engines. 5w-40 and 15w-40 is for diesel applications.

Shorts 06-12-2014 07:19 AM

I agree. Needs to be a diesel rated oil. 10w40 is not adequate.

15w40 or 5w40 - between the two I use location/climate conditions to determine application. The cost between the two is the encompassing factor. I choose 15w40.

My oil preferences in order:
Valvoline Premium Blue
Mobil Delvac
Shell Rotella - because it makes the truck smell funny

I've used all the above plus Delo. I prefer the above list.

cbrahs 06-13-2014 10:19 AM

LHM dealer here in town has the best deal going on. 175 for 3 oil changes including tire rotations and full inspections. everyone else is $75 plus for just an LOF and NO tire rotation. AND NO I don't work for them