4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

new cummins power ratings

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sad part is that if Cummins/Dodge worried less about the HP/TQ race and made a truck that would get 25+ mpg HWY all the time, it would attract alot more buyers in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 AM

The HO will not be an option, It will be the only diesel now. Who can I talk to besides the dealer about this, Called the dodge # they had no info about the new truck. I wish I could talk to a Rep somehow.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 AM

If the HO will be the only option then what will be the difference between the auto engine and the manual engine, just programing? If thats the case then, theoretically you could have the manual ecm "upgraded" to have the same power as the auto, right? I think its funny back in '03 the manual had the HO and the auto had the SO and now 8 years later it is reversed lol
Old 02-11-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
My friend's 92 400ft/lb 160HP seems to pull everything mine can. Takes a little longer to get up the hill but still gets up there. Why the need for all the extra torque? More power is created by burning more fuel
You don't think the 26K PSI injection pressure, the 4 valve heads, and better turbos might be more efficient than your 20 year old stuff? My 2010 gets 18mpg highway at 75mph, and 8000lbs with me in it....First Gens get good mileage because they're so darn light, and the VE pump has a neat little timing advance. I really can't see the problem with more power....and if you really want to complain to someone about the mileage they get, talk to the EPA

Originally Posted by dodgecowboy04.5
If the HO will be the only option then what will be the difference between the auto engine and the manual engine, just programing? If thats the case then, theoretically you could have the manual ecm "upgraded" to have the same power as the auto, right? I think its funny back in '03 the manual had the HO and the auto had the SO and now 8 years later it is reversed lol
The tranny and engine talk...you'd have to figure out a way to fool the manual truck into thinking there was a 68RFE behind it.

Chris
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM
The Guru

You guys see that goofy torque curve. Peak 800 ft*lbs torque curve at 1500 but drops back to the stock 6.7Lll rating at 2700 rpm. Its just a new computer programer. You'll get the same thing from H&S or the smarty, just for less money. Diesels typically have a flat torque curve.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...r-ratings.html
Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
You guys see that goofy torque curve. Peak 800 ft*lbs torque curve at 1500 but drops back to the stock 6.7Lll rating at 2700 rpm. Its just a new computer programer. You'll get the same thing from H&S or the smarty, just for less money. Diesels typically have a flat torque curve.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...r-ratings.html

I was shocked to see that as well... very odd.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 AM
The Guru

I would just save your money. Get a programmer and you'll have more power than any stock truck out there. Everyone seems to get hung up on the crank shaft rating.

Funny once you dyno all the brand of new trucks, they have less power than the old trucks.

Don't think it would be to hard to get 500rwhp out a 6.7L, only with out a few mods and still daily drive it.

Once the aftermarket fixes the RFE68, its going to be an awesome transmission. Even stock form it works well.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can be assured that the torque curve is a way to skirt around the EPA for emissions as they only rate on max HP. Keep the HP low, torque high and you can get better towing power without DEF!. Inlines can do that, not V-8s.

Some of the more modern OTR engines are getting the same torque curve. How often are you at 3000 rpm anyway? When I am in 6th on the hwy near 60 mph, that would give you close to 800ft-lbs to pass with or tow up the hill. In theory if the engine is more efficient near the 1500-2000 rpm mark, your fuel economy towing would be better than the other v-8's winding 2800 to pull the same hill. Displacement X RPM is going to translate into more fuel burned as the air:fuel ratio is not fixed on diesel engines.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 PM

390 HP (During certain situations)...? That must mean while in Tow/Haul Mode.... and 800 pond feet of TQ....! Lets see pickuptrucks.com do another test to see if these new power numbers matter!

Cummins Engineering stated that "The motor is still de-rated for the RAM application!!!!"
Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 PM

Purple ZR2 summed it up -- if Dodge made the same trucks as now but better gas mileage like 25MP/USG that would keep em coming back. Ford and Chev can go to 1600HP /2000lbs torque for all I care. All they do is wear out fast anyway. Lets see what the new Ford will do. My old diesel mechanic friend said to me once that the only good diesel engines are the ones with all the pistons in a straight line. And he has about 40years experience as a diesel mechanic.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Another thought, does the Auto have torque management, I would guess it does, I would not be surprised if the motor dynos that but the tranny limits the power the motor can make so at the end out the day, they "make" the same power as ford, but really nothing changed.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 PM

A lot of the big bore diesels in real "heavy duty" trucks have a variable peak hp rating that is only seen when the cruise control is engaged. Maybe that's the same application here.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Purplezr2
Another thought, does the Auto have torque management, I would guess it does, I would not be surprised if the motor dynos that but the tranny limits the power the motor can make so at the end out the day, they "make" the same power as ford, but really nothing changed.
That is exactly it. All the trucks since 03' have had TQ management. That's one thing a Smarty is adjustable with. I am sure a 6.7 Smarty adjust that too. That's why so many folks burn up trannies, because the TQ management has been adjusted and they are not light with the right foot.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by redlineguy
The HO will not be an option, It will be the only diesel now.
This is false. The H.O. will indeed be an option along with the current platform 6.7L rated at 350/650(610). The H.O. will only be available with the auto trans and as long as Ram is selling manual transmission trucks with the present G56, they'll have to offer a S.O. engine.

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
You'll get the same thing from H&S or the smarty, just for less money.
And no factory warranty...

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
390 HP (During certain situations)...? That must mean while in Tow/Haul Mode.... and 800 pond feet of TQ....! Lets see pickuptrucks.com do another test to see if these new power numbers matter!

Cummins Engineering stated that "The motor is still de-rated for the RAM application!!!!"
390 hp is not available on this engine... the journalist who wrote that has a problem with reading comprehension and math. The peak horsepower remains 350 at around 3100RPM... what Cummins has said is this programming will provide around 40 more useable horsepower under normal cruising conditions... what does that mean?? When you're tooling along at 1800RPM, you have more available torque(750+), torque x RPM/5252 equals horsepower... with more torque, you're getting more horsepower earlier in the power band but by the time the engine is set to make peak horsepower, the torque has returned to the previous 650lb-ft.. again, at no time do you have 390 hp(350+40).

The Cummins will always be derated in a Ram...they have to meet emissions, drivetrain durability and longevity standards not found in other applications. If the new 800lb-ft was a flat curve like the current 650lb-ft, this engine would crest 430hp at peak... No way can Cummins make that power and maintain emissions with their current emissions strategy.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 AM

[QUOTE=graphitecumnz;2923062]This is false. The H.O. will indeed be an option along with the current platform 6.7L rated at 350/650(610). The H.O. will only be available with the auto trans and as long as Ram is selling manual transmission trucks with the present G56, they'll have to offer a S.O. engine.

The vid I saw said "Standard" . Hmmmmmmmmm

Quick Reply: new cummins power ratings