4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need help identifying rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help identifying rear differential

I have a 2019 3500 SRW HO 6.7/AISIN crew cab. 8' bed. The rear axle is the new 12" AAM. I have had a devil of a time figuring out exactly what kind of limited slip I have. It is not the same as the 11.8 or 11.5" they were using up until this new 4.5 gen powertrain. I believe it is a Tracrite PC (plate clutch). Can anybody ID this for sure. 2 people MOPAR headquarter said that it does not need friction modifier (insinuating a helical gear LS) but all the dealership parts people insisted it called for the friction modifier which would mean there are clutches in there) Any help you all can lend will be appreciated.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have an ASIN transmission in my 2500 but I do have the same brand axle as yours. So not sure if this will help.

My research suggest that newer axles have electronic limited slip which uses brake pressure to equalize traction. If that is true, you don't need the friction modifier.

I recently changed the rear axle oil and didn't add the friction modifier.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by NC Ram
I don't have an ASIN transmission in my 2500 but I do have the same brand axle as yours. So not sure if this will help.

My research suggest that newer axles have electronic limited slip which uses brake pressure to equalize traction. If that is true, you don't need the friction modifier.

I recently changed the rear axle oil and didn't add the friction modifier.
I appreciate the info. I think all Rams have AAM axles. Dont quote me on that. Do you know the size of your ring gear? Mine is 12". 11.5" are more common. If yours doesnt have the AISIN, it likely has the standard output 6.7 It appears as though they changed the entire drivetrain for the High Output 6.7. I'm hoping I dont have a "auto LSD" like the Tundras use. I loved my Tundras but that feature was weak. That's really just brakeforce nannies. Nothing mechanically happens in the diff on those at all.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:42 AM

I think it's the brake force. But don't take that to the bank.

Info on these trucks is harder for me to get than past vehicles I've owned. There are some F150 forums that are very active. This one not so much. However, one of the best sources of information I have found is on YouTube. Check out Marion Blair's YouTube channel. He has a 2500 but you'll find much crossover information.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:43 AM

Info on these trucks is harder for me to get than past vehicles I've owned. There are some F150 forums that are very active. This one not so much. However, one of the best sources of information I have found is on YouTube. Check out Marion Blair's YouTube channel. He has a 2500 but you'll find much crossover information.
3 dealerships did look up my VIN and it called for Limited Slip additive. Others on this thread have confirmed it's got clutches. But they could all be wrong. It's also possible that it is an actual clutch type limited slip but engaged electronically. The Brake force LSD on the Tundras literally just applied the brakes to the spinning wheel. If that were the case, it would just be an open diff, requiring no additive.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:50 AM

I love Marion Blair. That guy is awesome. His '14 calls for 80w90 oil w/ no modifier. The older 3500 used helical gear, no clutches. He does say to give the dealer your VIN. Mine calls for 75w140 w/ additive. Who knows. I'll have to wait to hear from a professional that has taken one of these apart. I posted pictures in this thread and it definitely does not look like an open diff. The 2019 3500 HO 6.7 is the very first modern pickup to ever use a 12" rear end so it's not surprising that data is incomplete so far.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:27 AM

Along time time Ram owner friend of mine summed it up this way.

Every Ram he's owned has its peculiarities. And figuring those things out can be a challenge. The oil for your rear differential sounds like an example of this.

He loves his trucks. But they are peculiar from one to the next.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Along time time Ram owner friend of mine summed it up this way.

Every Ram he's owned has its peculiarities. And figuring those things out can be a challenge. The oil for your rear differential sounds like an example of this.

He loves his trucks. But they are peculiar from one to the next.
Yeah. That seems like the case. Especially since they are advertising that this rear end has never been put in a truck before.