4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

More power with stock airbox

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More power with stock airbox

A little long but some back story... I ripped out my stock air filter shortly after I bought the truck and replaced with and AFE stage 2 with the 5 layer blue filter. Where I work up north is beyond crazy dusty so I upgraded to the 7 layer yellow filter but I simply couldn't keep up cleaning and lots of service air filter messages. So, last days off I put the stock air box back in and went with an amsoil nano fiber filter. Today after my truck did a regen it feels like it has WAY more power than it has in months. Anybody else experience this or have any ideas? My fuel mileage got slightly worse with the stock box but the power is what I would consider similar to the 60HP tune on my old 5.9 over stock. It's very noticeable and puts me in the seat a little. I must say I'm a bit confused.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you need to scrap everything with the afe, not just the box. the stock tube is a engineering marvel. the guts in the tube is a straightening vane, it along with the silencer ring reduce side shear in the compressor side of the turbo raising turbo efficiency. take the amsoil out and replace with a wix. add a psm kit. your power change is not wat you think, it is because the sensor in the tube is feeding skewed data to the ecm because of different air pattern. afe is worse than banks about promoting junk.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 AM

You're saying now that I have removed the stage 2 intake and reinstalled all the stock equipment that the sensors are skewed? I agree the stock tube seems to be fairly well though out but all that extra material in there seems like it would cause significant restriction.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 AM

I just looked into the psm intakes. They don't list anything for a 4th gen. Also it's just a modified stock air box and they use afe filters as well which is somewhat contradictory to your recommendation above. I think I'll just stick with the amsoil filters as they seem to be holding up very well and I don't have to oil it when I clean it.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:52 PM

ok did not do good job explaining. the readings are skewed as long as the sensors are on the afe tube and box. the amsoil filter is more restrictive and does not filter any better than stock and the psm kit only contains the parts needed to add a 4" pipe to bring cool air into the bottom of the box, you can make one for about $80 less, it is called a home depot kit.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:03 PM

That makes more sense. Do you have any constructive evidence that the amsoil aE filters are no better than stock? I have read literally hundreds of reviews and talked to a lot of guys running them that claim they are much better. The amsoil website says that the wix filters are a supplement to the aE line and they sell them as well. I'm not looking for any more flow as where I drive is EXTREMELY dusty beyond explanation. In just looking for the absolute best filtering air setup and was surprised how much better the truck felt without the afe. I guess I'm a little off topic now aren't I?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:36 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My son and I use the Wix filter from Amsoil, it's cheaper and more readily available than the Amsoil one. My son drives in extremely dusty conditions and I used to too, I think the Wix is the best option. As for the intake... compressor vanes are used on many things and it's all about presenting the incoming air.. straight and at the correct angle to the compressor blade, a lot of "thought" went into that intake as with the intake on all jet engines.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I did an acceleration test WOT, same road, same speed, on my 2003. The Amsoil filter would suck the filter minder down to 80% at the end of the run. A dirty old Wix would only suck it down to 30%. I got really bad mpgs with the Amsoil. It might filter better, but at what cost to mpgs?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 PM

Filtration is what I'm after. My 12 doesn't have a filter minder but I imagine more dirt caught would have to equal less airflow. I'm honestly not worried about fuel mileage as much as dusting an engine like I did in my 07.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 PM

the pleated paper wix filter is equal to the amsoil nanofiber filter on filtering, just not as restrictive. do NOT change the filter until the filterminder tells you to. the filter has various size holes in the media, and the larger size holes have less restriction to air flow than the smaller ones so they fill up first forcing the air to flow through smaller and smaller holes. filter manufactures have a end of life rating on there filters and is not uncommon to see a 2x better rating on a end of life compared to a brand new one.