4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mini-Max or Race Me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mini-Max or Race Me?

Don't want to start a brand war here, just looking for advice. I'm finding Mini-Max tuners for $900 and $250 extra for the tranny tune. Race Me is $1500 and includes tranny tune. Can anyone tell me pros/cons of each? Will still need exhaust system (turbo back) and EGR delete, plus finding a shop to install. Want to get this done soon.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-10-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
No manufacturer support for the MM. RaceME, not certain if you can run custom tunes...if you thought about doing that down the road. The MM does support custom tunes at a tune of about $300/$350 for the unlock plus the cost of a custom tune.

If you are interested in custom tunes, I'd go with EFI LIVE and a digital gauge such as one from edge or bully dog.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:11 PM

Forgot to add: the box tunes from H&S plus trans tuning have been fine on my truck using the Black Maxx. No experience with the RaceMe.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the response! Basically what it boils down to is this: just recently got the dpf 80% full -regen needed now message. I'm not looking for added power, even though we Full-time in our fifth wheel - stock power has been great. Don't want tranny troubles from too much power (68rfe). Don't want to just replace the dpf as I'd have the same issues down the road, as well as the egr cleaning again. Just want to be rid of all the emissions crap, and now that warranty is gone, dpf starting to cause issues, now is the time.

Don't really care about custom tunes - just something reliable out of the box.

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 04-11-2017, 07:01 AM

With that said, go with the MM. It's ever so slightly cheaper. A buddy of mine had problems with the DPF in his '08, but wasn't interested in additional power, so he got the MM and had it mounted under the driver's seat. Since it was out of sight, he wasn't tempted to turn up the power, leaving it at stock power levels.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:03 PM

OK - I'm about convinced to go with the Mini Maxx. I'm liking the one that will display gauges. Now, as far as the tranny tuning, I'm leaning towards that as well if will help protect the tranny. What makes it beneficial and what does it do? Boosting line pressure is a good thing? I'm completely new to the idea of deletes so forgive my ignorance. Also, do I need a turbo-back exhaust or just a delete pipe to replace the DPF? If I do just the delete pipe, will the CAT and NOX canisters give me problems down the road? I only want to do this once...

Thanks loads, guys!

Bob
Old 04-13-2017, 07:49 AM

The trans tune is definitely needed with the increased power. I ran without it on my truck for a few weeks then decided I should probably get it because the trans was shifting weird--shifts better with it. Increased line pressure is a good thing, basically gives more holding pressure to the clutches.

As far as the pipe goes, I don't know the longevity of the cat converter, but I did a turbo back delete, leaving only the muffler back in place. Stick with the 4 inch exhaust.

You will gain nothing of value going with the 5 inch unless you plan on pushing 500 or 600+ HP. You would also more than likely get a very annoying drone noise in the cab at highway speeds.

Hope this helps some.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Helps a lot - thanks! Looking at tuners, tranny tunes, exhausts, EGR/Cooler delete kits, and EGT probes at www.smithdieselparts.com - prices look competitive.

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 04-13-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright when I did mine I used a mini maxx and absolutely loved it. But I did the work myself with the help of the stick on the 4th gen forum, simple install. I decided to cut my down pipe out instead of undoing tranny mounts to get that ugly cat out
Old 04-13-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by brophyn70
Alright when I did mine I used a mini maxx and absolutely loved it. But I did the work myself with the help of the stick on the 4th gen forum, simple install. I decided to cut my down pipe out instead of undoing tranny mounts to get that ugly cat out
That's good to hear - I'll have to find a shop to do mine as I'm limited as far as a place to work - have no access to a covered space to work. Anyone know of a good shop around the Socorro, New Mexico area?

Thanks!

Bob
Old 04-15-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to be the contrarian but let me offer 1 more opinion I did my deletes with Calibrated Powers EFI live box tune. Love it, no smoke and the tow tune boosted my towing mileage from 9-10MPG to 11.5-12 towing our 14K 5er. I purchased the turbo back exhaust system (Flo-Pro) but ended up with more noise in the cab than I'd like I'm considering the 51inch donaldson muffler. All of my parts came from Alligator Performance and they were very helpful in picking all the things I needed as I also was new to diesels and had never heard of deletes until I joined this forum.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by JimC
I don't want to be the contrarian but let me offer 1 more opinion I did my deletes with Calibrated Powers EFI live box tune. Love it, no smoke and the tow tune boosted my towing mileage from 9-10MPG to 11.5-12 towing our 14K 5er. I purchased the turbo back exhaust system (Flo-Pro) but ended up with more noise in the cab than I'd like I'm considering the 51inch donaldson muffler. All of my parts came from Alligator Performance and they were very helpful in picking all the things I needed as I also was new to diesels and had never heard of deletes until I joined this forum.
Thanks for the info. Ordered the RaceMe Ultra, pyro, intake, and Flo-Pro exhaust. Everything was delivered today and goes to the shop Monday for install. Getting excited!

Bob
Old 11-13-2017, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobTipton
OK - I'm about convinced to go with the Mini Maxx. I'm liking the one that will display gauges. Now, as far as the tranny tuning, I'm leaning towards that as well if will help protect the tranny. What makes it beneficial and what does it do? Boosting line pressure is a good thing? I'm completely new to the idea of deletes so forgive my ignorance. Also, do I need a turbo-back exhaust or just a delete pipe to replace the DPF? If I do just the delete pipe, will the CAT and NOX canisters give me problems down the road? I only want to do this once...

Thanks loads, guys!

Bob
the MMworks good and the delete is a good choice but keep the delete parts for when you sell it or trade it in. The mm has several gages that are useful. Get a pyrometers they are very important. Do not use the safety mode on any of them as they defuel and cause drive pressures to high which is bad for head gasket. Run it on settin tow 2 no att or advanced turbo tuning. I leave mine on tow2 no attall the time 98k miles no problems ever.