Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/)
-   -   manual transmission turbo/ engine lag? in 2500 diesel (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/manual-transmission-turbo-engine-lag-2500-diesel-326363/)

biggranite21 10-20-2016 11:16 PM

manual transmission turbo/ engine lag? in 2500 diesel

I'm a first time diesel owner. I've always wanted one especially a stick. I've got what I wanted which is a 2500 diesel manual transmission crew cab long bed. I freaking love it. One downside to the truck is that I have the least power in hp and lb/ft out of the diesel group. My main concern though is that I experience somewhat of a turbo/engine lag going through 3rd to 6th gear. If I were to floor it after shifting into the gear properly the RPMS would race up and the truck itself would take time to "catch up" or respond if that makes sense. I've explained this to the dealership I bought it from and the diesel mechanic said hes seen this before with other sticks. His explanation to me was that in a stick when shifting between gears the turbo spools down and then spools back up when shifted into the desired gear. In an automatic the turbo is always spooled up for immediate response. I was satisfied with the explanation but I feel like there is something more to it. So I'm getting on a forum to see if anybody out there that has a stick is experiencing the same type of issue because it is the one thing I can't stand about the truck. I know a tuner might help but I need to find out first if this isn't just my truck basically for peace of mind. thanks for your time

saggonwaggon91 10-21-2016 10:06 AM

Turbo lag is what you are getting. Nature of the beast with the manual trans. A tuner will help a lot and raising your shift points will too. Everytime you let off the accelerator, you will lose boost. If you want it to spool faster, keep your RPM above 1500. Thats about were the cummins starts making its power. Also, fill out your sig so we know what you are running.

NJMurvin 10-21-2016 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by biggranite21 (Post 3314023)
If I were to floor it after shifting into the gear properly the RPMS would race up and the truck itself would take time to "catch up" or respond if that makes sense.

My truck is a 3rd gen auto, but I've owned plenty of manual transmission equipped cars in my life. Maybe there's some new technology I'm unaware of, but in my day, the above symptoms would sound like a slipping clutch (RPMs racing and truck trying to catch up).

SOhappy 10-21-2016 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by NJMurvin (Post 3314057)
.... the above symptoms would sound like a slipping clutch (RPMs racing and truck trying to catch up).

^^^What he said. Sounds like clutch slip to me. :(

saggonwaggon91 10-23-2016 10:15 AM

guess i didnt catch the rpm racing. lol.
does sound like a slipping clutch

Danderson 10-24-2016 08:56 PM

Yep. Time to call Southbend.
I've had the SBC OKHD for a couple of years now. Smooth and holds my EFI mid tunes fine.

Rollin'_Coal 10-30-2016 08:18 AM

+1 slipping clutch. Might be time to find a new mechanic.