4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Manual Or HO

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
Blake I know it will do it but is is leagle ? I ordered a Black 3500 today and should get it next week. Sad to say Auto box

If you are using your truck for personal use, not commerce then you have nothing to worry about.

If you're using it commercially (for commerce) then you have a lot of things to do.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 PM

It is just personal so all I need to do is stay under 26k for the whole thing right?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
It is just personal so all I need to do is stay under 26k for the whole thing right?
Thats quite a grey area.

In LA if its farm use, or an RV, there is no restrictions that require a CDL. Commercial or other use, you have to have one.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 AM
I dont always get the death wobble, But when I do, I just buy a new truck.

it will handle it! get the G56
Attached Thumbnails Manual Or HO-securedownload.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark

The autos are rated for more, but for what reason, I have never understood.
I have a theory on this, if they rate the auto for more weight, more peeps will buy autos and before long they will be able to delete the manual trans all together. I think the manual would be able to handle more weight (with a good clutch) simply by design over an auto.

Just my IMO though.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Man am I glad that somebody posted this thread.

What are the claimed power differences between the auto and manual? Or is there just a GVWR difference???
Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by ktmrdr85
Man am I glad that somebody posted this thread.

What are the claimed power differences between the auto and manual? Or is there just a GVWR difference???
Early model 2011 they where the same. Now the HO auto is 800lbs and the G56 is 650lbs.

A good tuner, deletes and a clutch and your HO+ with the G56 and it can take the abuse, day in and day out, without having any work done to it.

Put it to you this way, by the time Im done with my truck Ill be in it about 10k. It should top out at around 650 - 700hp.

To do the same with a 68RE truck your gonna drop that on the competition trans alone, before you even touch anything else.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:46 PM

Put a 1k miles on the truck over the weekend and I am very happy with the auto box.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned

Thats quite a grey area.

In LA if its farm use, or an RV, there is no restrictions that require a CDL. Commercial or other use, you have to have one.
Farm use is limited to a 150 miles, not?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My son and I bought a couple of 2011 in the spring, his a manual 350hp/625ftlbs mine an auto 350hp/650ftlbs. My son had his completely STOCK truck dynoed by the dealer in October and they gave him a print out. 349.4HP @2948rpm and 755.1ftlbs @2146rpm, as I said the truck was and had been completely stock when this was done.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Spudder
Farm use is limited to a 150 miles, not?
I dont know, nor claim to know. I only travel ~40 miles at most from the farm with equipment. I have no CDL. I, as always, tell everyone to see what laws are applicable in the state and area they live in.

But,

Seeing as you are apparently an expert, how bout you enlighten us. How bout you take each of our locations and spell out the specific laws for each area so that we may operate safely and within the law. Siting of specific laws, and or Federal code will be require for this, so don't disappoint.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
My son and I bought a couple of 2011 in the spring, his a manual 350hp/625ftlbs mine an auto 350hp/650ftlbs. My son had his completely STOCK truck dynoed by the dealer in October and they gave him a print out. 349.4HP @2948rpm and 755.1ftlbs @2146rpm, as I said the truck was and had been completely stock when this was done.
Umm

Wait, what.

I want that truck. Or a dyno just like it. I should be close to 650/1400 now....

Something smells a lil fishy there.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seeing as you are apparently an expert, how bout you enlighten us. How bout you take each of our locations and spell out the specific laws for each area so that we may operate safely and within the law. Siting of specific laws, and or Federal code will be require for this, so don't disappoint.
This sounds like a good idea to me too! Then when one of us gets stopped, we can just show the officer the text we printed out of Spudder's reply and tell him he said it was was what the law states!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Umm

Wait, what.

I want that truck. Or a dyno just like it. I should be close to 650/1400 now....

Something smells a lil fishy there.
Those number came directly from the print out I have in my hand, BUT after finding what I found last night you are correct it would not be possible as the intake was very plugged with carbon. I think the dealer needs a visit along with the pictures. The dealer actually charged him for the dyno because he took it in for making excessive oil and my son wanted to prove the injectors weren't the problem, they said they would charge him if it dynoed OK. I want his money back.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Banned

How bout you take each of our locations and spell out the specific laws for each area so that we may operate safely and within the law. Siting of specific laws, and or Federal code will be require for this, so don't disappoint.
No need to spell out each area because this is the same nation wide.

The farm exemption to the CDL is limited to 150 of "home".

(d) Exception for farmers, firefighters, emergency response vehicle drivers, and drivers removing snow and ice. A State may, at its discretion, exempt individuals identified in paragraphs (d)(1), (d)(2), and (d)(3) of this section from the requirements of this part. The use of this waiver is limited to the driver's home State unless there is a reciprocity agreement with adjoining States. (1) Operators of a farm vehicle which isi) Controlled and operated by a farmer, including operation by employees or family members;(ii) Used to transport either agricultural products, farm machinery, farm supplies, or both to or from a farm;(iii) Not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and(iv) Used within 241 kilometers (150 miles) of the farmer's farm.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...aspx?reg=383.3

Quick Reply: Manual Or HO