4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Geno's quick drain oil plug

Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geno's quick drain oil plug

Anyone have experience with one of these?

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...g/drain-valves
Old 04-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I use to have them on all of my highway tractors.
Never put one on a pickup though.
They worked very good.
Ken
Old 04-19-2018, 06:48 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Have had that on my truck for many years with no problems. The only comment that I have is that it does not drain as fast as just removing a drain plug. Not really an issue.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:07 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
I don't have that one exactly, but I do have a drain valve and hose nipple. I wouldn't do it any other way. No mess, no fuss. The hose nipple ends up about an inch above a gallon oil container so I drain directly into the containers from the last oil change and don't have issues on windy days. I send oil samples to Blackstone Labs, so to keep the nipple clean, I have a rubber nipple cap thingy that pushes on to cover the whole nipple. Pulls right off when oil change time comes.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I have not used that one but have used the finger touch one that genos sells which comes with or without a tube. Used one on my 01 for 350k miles and now the 17 has had one for 40k miles with no issues whatsoever.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Finger touch here too.
Three trucks no issues. My friend services a fleet of diesels and installs them exclusively.
That being said my friend has the quick drain on his '07. Ditto. No issues.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by FMB
I don't have that one exactly, but I do have a drain valve and hose nipple. I wouldn't do it any other way. No mess, no fuss. The hose nipple ends up about an inch above a gallon oil container so I drain directly into the containers from the last oil change and don't have issues on windy days. I send oil samples to Blackstone Labs, so to keep the nipple clean, I have a rubber nipple cap thingy that pushes on to cover the whole nipple. Pulls right off when oil change time comes.
That is my plan also. Fill gallon container, shut off flow. Fill next gallon container, etc.

My challenge will be installing the new drain plug with new oil in the pan. Gonna have to be quick with the swap out to keep from loosing any more oil than necessary.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:39 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by NC Ram
My challenge will be installing the new drain plug with new oil in the pan. Gonna have to be quick with the swap out to keep from loosing any more oil than necessary.

Ummmm, why not do the switch at the next oil change? No mess and you can take your time doing the job.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:37 AM

Good question.

Going on a cross country trip this summer. Oil change will need to be performed midway through the trip.

With the controllable drain system in place, all I'll need is 3 gallons of oil, filter and empty oil jugs. No catch pan, cardboard, or spill control devices. I believe it will make Campground oil changes easy and clean.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
5gal bucket should slide right under
Old 08-17-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NC, could you have someone video when you swap the plugs without draining the oil ? We would all like to watch ; ) I mean , its totally possible to do that swap but would be funner just to watch ! We might have to mute the sound though when little kids are around. ; )

Dew.
The following users liked this post:
madhat (08-19-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 06:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dewclaw
NC, could you have someone video when you swap the plugs without draining the oil ? We would all like to watch ; ) I mean , its totally possible to do that swap but would be funner just to watch ! We might have to mute the sound though when little kids are around. ; )

Dew.
I agree! I wold love to watch this play out.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:51 AM

Glad I could provide some potential amusement for you.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:25 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
When I'm changing my oil (I have a drain valve as well), I start the first jug, then crack the oil filter loose, just enough for a little air to get in there. Sometimes, not always, a little oil will drain out of the oil filter back into the engine, and it keeps me from having a big mess with the oil filter. A gallon ziploc bag with some paper towels in the bottom over the oil filter when I screw it off keeps everything clean.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:19 PM

I have the Fumoto oil drain plug on both trucks. ones been on the 2000 for 17 years. never a problem with leaking or lever moving. I put one on the 2015 about six months ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Geno's quick drain oil plug