4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Filter Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
With the big line kit it is 3/8. The airdog uses half inch.

The "aluminum block" is the MK2 filter kit. Adds a 2 micron spin on filter between the factory filter and the CP3

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...id=MK21012-BLK
Old 01-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't very clear about my question. I'm refering to the other end of the hose, not the spin-on mount. Looks like a brass pipe and cap is "behind" it? Its a good thing I'm an artist, not a writer!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Sorry, I wasn't very clear about my question. I'm refering to the other end of the hose, not the spin-on mount. Looks like a brass pipe and cap is "behind" it? Its a good thing I'm an artist, not a writer!
Ahhh. Sorry.

Its one of these with the fuel pressure sender for the gauge. That line there actually goes all the way to the factory fuel filter housing.

Name:  Fuelpressuret.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  7.4 KB

Name:  fe4df079.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  136.5 KB
Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 PM

I see! Thanks.

Now that causes another question to surface. If you are reading the fuel pressure downstream of the filter, but before the 2mu filter, are you getting the whole picture from your fuel pressure gauge or are you only concerned about pressure out of the factory filter?

Also, will the slip lock fittings work with any hose or is it a specific type? I don't see any clamps on your GDP filter but you have clamps on the "TEE" fitting. Can I mix hose types?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Blake,
Do not forget brother, I am on deployment. Coming home very, very soon but can't say exactly when cause of security reasons. I have a "Silly" amount of stuff sitting in my garage awaiting my return. Here is just a small list. Raptor 150, 1/2" upgrades, GDP Intake, GDP Airboss 67, GDP Silicone Boost Tube, Hell Bent Leveling Kit w/ Bilstein 5100's for front and 5150's for rear 2" higher than stock, Top Gunz 1" Lift blocks for the rear, and I will have stock wheels but putting some 33" Dura Grapplers on there.

I know that I am forgetting some things but that's about the bulk. I will also be calling Backwoods as soon as I get back and get him to fab some bumpers. I am not going as crazy as the 4th Gen one he just made though. I don't need a winch but definately some extra lights.

Stargeezer,
The pushlock line is simply that, you slightly place some Diesel fuel or new Oil on the Fitting and slide the line directly onto those barbs. There is a video on stupid-tube that shows a guys complaining about the quick-connect fittings stating that he had fuel pressure problems coming from his Raptor pump. When he switched to the Push-loc line and fittings he stated that he has seen steady pressure since. Not sure what the problem was but that is what he said. Also shows you exactly how to put the lines and fittings on.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM

Tried changing fuel filter today. What a pain, I'll let dealer do it every other oil change. After seeing how black the oil is I believe deleted will be coming before suspension. First oil change I did at home not worth the twenty bucks I saved over having dealer do it.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ljvsnyder
Tried changing fuel filter today. What a pain, I'll let dealer do it every other oil change. After seeing how black the oil is I believe deleted will be coming before suspension. First oil change I did at home not worth the twenty bucks I saved over having dealer do it.
Find a 3rd gen 6.7

Change the fuel filter on that thing.

Then go back and change yours.

Youll be whistlin the theme to the Smurfs the whole time.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM

Are 3rd gen much worse? Doing anything on these trucks look much easier with all the emissions crap removed. Thanks for all the info Blake. Now I just need someone from southern Illinois that can help me do deleted, know anyone?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:40 PM

Are 3rd gen much worse? Doing anything on these trucks look much easier with all the emissions crap removed. Thanks for all the info Blake. Now I just need someone from southern Illinois that can help me do deleted, know anyone?
If you were a bit closer to PA Id give ya a hand.

Ive seen myself so mad at my 08 that I seriously contemplated setting fire to it while just trying to change that [censored] filter.

I can do my '11 in under 5 mins. And thats stopping for a Cope break and a can of Rockstar.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the offer. It looks straight forward but I cannot get the cap off top is there anything other than drain fuel use 28 mm but and loosen cap.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the offer. It looks straight forward but I cannot get the cap off top is there anything other than drain fuel use 28 mm but and loosen cap.
1st change is gonna be rough. The cap is gonna be on real tight and once its broke loose for the 1st time, the later times are a breeze.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Felt like it was going to break. put about 75lbs of torque and it didn't budge. I am going to have dealer do this one. Don't want to break the filter housing. I really appreciate your insight and help Blake.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 PM

Did you open the drain valve before opening the top?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I must have gotten lucky. Did my 1st one on my own and the Cap came off with ease.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 AM

If you are talking about yellow drain on top, yes. I didn't see any other drains.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Surprise