4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Exhaust Brake +/- feature

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 PM
edc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Good writeup Blake, good info from all. I figured out how the trans worked by going back and forth between the manual and trial and error. The important point I believe is that it seems to be a great transmission that allows me to do whatever I want with the gearing. The more I learn about this truck the more I like it.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
When you have it in "D" and you hit the +/- it should throw the gear indicator to the right and show which gear you are currently in. You must hit the "-" button to activate the selectable gear switching. When starting off you can put it on gear "1" and upshift using the + for each gear change. You can also do the same thing downshifting to give the engine a higher RPM range to make the exhaust brake more effective.

Another way to use it is for setting the highest gear that the tranny will shift into. For example, when towing a heavy load and not wanting the tranny to shift higher than fourth gear, place the numerical indicator on "4" and the tranny will not shift above 4th gear, normal upshift and downshift up to 4th gear will remain the same.

If you are driving along using the auto/shift function and want to revert back to the standard D mode, just mash the "+" button until "D" comes up. If you are driving along in "D" and want to use the auto shift mash the "-" button and the gear indicator will come up.

The +/- selector has nothing to do with exhaust brake control other than allowing you to keep your truck in a lower gear effectively raising the rpm's and in turn the effectiveness of the exhaust brake.

The 68RE has three basic modes of operation, regardless of exhaust brake function.

1. Standard operation "D", tranny operates normally.
2. Tow/Haul Mode, tranny uses a set point vs engine load and rpm to maximize effectiveness when towing. It will not shift into overdrive until its needed. Downshifts will be roughter to gain engine rpms to help the exhaust brake function when needed.
3. Auto/select, this lets you choose when and how the tranny shifts.
Thanks BlakeClark for your explanation of how the +/- option works. Tried it today and it worked great. The problem was that I wasn't holding the button down long enough to get it over. Thanks again for the response and the explanation. Really appreciate it.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AttilaTheHun
Thanks BlakeClark for your explanation of how the +/- option works. Tried it today and it worked great. The problem was that I wasn't holding the button down long enough to get it over. Thanks again for the response and the explanation. Really appreciate it.
No prob bud!

Glad you got it figured out.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 PM

Just read this today, Great Job of explaining the process. However, It made me think. The Dealer did him an injustice not explaining how everything works. Kinda makes me wonder what else he did not tell him that he needs to know. When I bought my 2010 my salesperson told me as part of the sale it was his job to go over every button in the truck with me so I knew how it all worked. Kudo's to him for a very informative session. This is the first Diesel I have owned and still have many questions from time to time. I was irrate when I didnt get a paper manual and had to use a computer just to get info. I shot off an email to Dodge and they provided me with the paper versions to read at my leisure. Just didnt make sense to not have the manual with me on the road. HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR NEW TRUCK !!!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With all this gear talk it reminded me of what I think is a neat little trick the transmission does between 2nd and 3rd. The... ratio is different on the up versus the ratio on the downshift. Allows for easier downshifting without that huge jump in RPM when going down into 2nd, but is geared lower to go into 3rd.

Anyways, its what the dude from Chrysler told us in passing at the Spring Road Show (2 "Road Shows" a year showing upcoming models and their points. Usually a comparison between a few competitors, and some track course to demo acceleration, stopping and maneuverability.)