4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

dpf 80% full

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, explain this to me. According to the lit, "under normal circumstances" there is no notification that the DPF purge is taking place. Other than the EVIC showing the MPG dropping thru the floor, I wouldn't have known either. But then the lit talks about the 80% full message. If it's supposed to purge on it's own why wouldn't it purge on it's own thus facilitating the need for the 80% full message??
Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xp8103
If it's supposed to purge on it's own why wouldn't it purge on it's own thus facilitating the need for the 80% full message??
Sometime the driving style and speed dont allow for regen to occur, or to complete the process.

There are owners that could go 100K miles without ever getting to 80% and some who can't make it 1000 miles without seeing one.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by cbrahs
i shut down at drive thrus sometimes but i think doing it at stoplights would cause a hazard (in case of emergency situation ie firetruck, ambulance, cop) plus it is hard on the starter et al doing it all the time.
Agreed. . .

Originally Posted by xp8103
Ok, explain this to me. According to the lit, "under normal circumstances" there is no notification that the DPF purge is taking place. Other than the EVIC showing the MPG dropping thru the floor, I wouldn't have known either. But then the lit talks about the 80% full message. If it's supposed to purge on it's own why wouldn't it purge on it's own thus facilitating the need for the 80% full message??
They take 20 to 30 minutes to regenerate. And you have to maintain 1200 degrees + all the time. Otherwise it will start all over again. Same thing with shutting it off in the middle of a regen. What a dumb idea. Take it out and drive it. Let's face it, they're not grocery getters anymore
Old 09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
its the short trips to the post office, grocery store etc that plugs the dpf up fast. looking back on it, i have been doing a lot of those types of trips since doing a remodel on the house. home depot is only 1.8 miles from the house so I need to get it out and stretch its legs now and then to blow it out. did that today picking up 5" preformed stainless exhaust clamps for the deletes.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
its the short trips to the post office, grocery store etc that plugs the dpf up fast. looking back on it, i have been doing a lot of those types of trips since doing a remodel on the house. home depot is only 1.8 miles from the house so I need to get it out and stretch its legs now and then to blow it out. did that today picking up 5" preformed stainless exhaust clamps for the deletes.
That is what mine's gonna suffer from in the winter months. It's my dd and it's duty in the summer is hauling and travelling. I ride my motorcycles in the summer back and forth to work. In the winter tho, I'll have to be driving it daily. So I'm guessing I'll need at least one blast down the highway every weekend to clean her out!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2010, 2500 4x4 and use it as a daily driver.

I have almost 32,000 on it and have never gotten the message (Knock on wood )

My driving is mixed city and rush hour highway. Sometimes when i turn off the truck and get out, i can hear a crackling sound, so i assume that the truck in in REGEN when i turn it off.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by stidwell
I have a 2010, 2500 4x4 and use it as a daily driver.

I have almost 32,000 on it and have never gotten the message (Knock on wood )

My driving is mixed city and rush hour highway. Sometimes when i turn off the truck and get out, i can hear a crackling sound, so i assume that the truck in in REGEN when i turn it off.
no its oil canning because of the heat that is in the 2 cats and dpf. you would be amazed on the temp of that thing.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I towed my 5th wheel through the mountains last July and once I got out there within a few days I got the message and had no idea what was going on. I was miles from a dealer and my display said 70%, then it went out. I was only using my truck for very short distances for the two weeks I was there. About one week later it came on again and this time stated 80% full an again this message went away after a longer haul for groceries.
When I hooked up for the return home as I was pulling out, 90% full came on the display and this time I paid attention to the display and saw that it began to clear and within a few miles it indicated that it was now OK. I really did not see anything in that lousy manual that talked about this and I did not get a proper answer until I got home and spoke to the service manager at my dealer. I have not had a problem since.
I do use additives for my fuel and I think think this may be causing this problem (if it is a problem).
Old 09-17-2011, 09:18 AM

I'm curious about this regen stuff, of all who go through this WHO have it more frequently, the auto tranny guys or the standard tranny guys?

CD
Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Chapter President

no more lights for me

dpf fell off last night. egr is hanging on for dear life for another 8.5 hours! LOL
Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Albertaguy
I towed my 5th wheel through the mountains last July and once I got out there within a few days I got the message and had no idea what was going on. I was miles from a dealer and my display said 70%, then it went out. I was only using my truck for very short distances for the two weeks I was there. About one week later it came on again and this time stated 80% full an again this message went away after a longer haul for groceries.
When I hooked up for the return home as I was pulling out, 90% full came on the display and this time I paid attention to the display and saw that it began to clear and within a few miles it indicated that it was now OK. I really did not see anything in that lousy manual that talked about this and I did not get a proper answer until I got home and spoke to the service manager at my dealer. I have not had a problem since.
I do use additives for my fuel and I think think this may be causing this problem (if it is a problem).
One of the main reasons I bought my 05 used for the nearly the same price as a brand new 08 back in the fall of 07 was this issue. Dodge had not yet released the info about the net zero idle, and I spend a lot of time hunting/camping and didn't have the ability to get to the regen parameters while hunting/camping.

Since then there has been an update flash for a regen called net zero idle. This allows people in the boonies to let their truck idle, after approx 5 minutes the rpms will increase to 900 and a regen process will begin, and continue unitl complete or you exceed 25 mph. This is a much slower regen, but not as slow as trying to get out of the woods with a 100% full message and a derated motor

Next time your in that scenario let the tuck idle after its warmed up and it will reduce the DPF level.

Your fuel additives, unless they contain sulfur, will not effect the DPF.

Originally Posted by CD in NM
I'm curious about this regen stuff, of all who go through this WHO have it more frequently, the auto tranny guys or the standard tranny guys?

CD
From reading I really don't think it matters. Also unless people pay close attention to their instantaneous mpgs they have no clue when a normal regen occurs on a bone stock truck. This is why people can say they have never had one in the life of their truck, but in reality they have probably had one every 150 or so miles for the life of the truck.

Also from talking with owners passive regen is very difficult to accomplish. It takes a load that sustains EGT's of 1200+ sustained, which as we know is BIG load. The friends of mine that tow don't notice any change in frequency of regens from empty to towing as the load just isn't there. You may occasionally skip a regen if you pull a long steep mountain pass, but you can't rely on passive all the time when towing.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 PM

I can tell that I get the regen often. I drive 23 miles each way to work using mostly highways. When you shut the truck down in the middle of a regen you get thta loud ticking sound from the exhaust. Then when full regens are complete and I'm assuming the DPF is clean I get high numbers on the evic like 19-22mpg readings.
I was also remodeling and traveling back and fourth to home depot sometimes as much three times in one day. It didn't take very long before the message came on even though my truck spends most of it's time on the highway.
I've read that there is no difference between a deleted truck and a heavy loaded stock truck as far as mileage goes.
I also read that Chevy may be developing an all electric regen process that will save even more fuel. But I imagine that will cause other problems...But we'll see.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:38 PM

My week old 2012 just popped up a EVIC message stating my DPF is 80% full. The truck has 375 miles on it of which 200+ miles are 65+ mph highway. I don't idle long, but during warm-up in mornings, for about 10 minutes, it goes to high idle automatically and then I drive off. IMHO, this shouldnt happen with less than 22 hours on the engine. Thoughts?

So I hit the road, and within 2 miles of highway speeds, it was complete. I went another 40 miles due to the fact that I love the way the truck rides and had no where else to be. Ahhh, a boy and his truck. No deletes, fully stock. Thanks for reading.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by J-Rod2012
My week old 2012 just popped up a EVIC message stating my DPF is 80% full. The truck has 375 miles on it of which 200+ miles are 65+ mph highway. I don't idle long, but during warm-up in mornings, for about 10 minutes, it goes to high idle automatically and then I drive off. IMHO, this shouldnt happen with less than 22 hours on the engine. Thoughts?

So I hit the road, and within 2 miles of highway speeds, it was complete. I went another 40 miles due to the fact that I love the way the truck rides and had no where else to be. Ahhh, a boy and his truck. No deletes, fully stock. Thanks for reading.
The warm ups in the morning are killing you. Just crank it up, let it idle for 30 sec. and go. This will get the motor up to operating temp quicker and make it better for the emissions.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:01 PM

So less warm up time. Ok. I don't have a long trip to work, so I thought by letting it warm up a bit would be better, but according to the truck and you, I guess not. Thanks spooler!

Quick Reply: dpf 80% full