4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Damage while driving without Kitty?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damage while driving without Kitty?

Have a 2010 Ram 2500 mega cab and somebody stole the kitty over the weekend. Can anyone answer if I'm doing damage to any components, like the turbo?

When I accelerate the turbo spools and the gravely exhaust noise stops until the turbo is completely spooled. Then when I'm stopped and idling the turbo whines and whistles, I can hear the suction for a while then it sounds like a valve closes and it stops.
Today is day two of driving to work and it didn't do this yesterday. Or I didn't notice due to lots of wind and rain here.

Any advice on whether or not it's ok to drive?
I don't want to have to replace a turbo.

Thank you in advance
Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the 4th generation Cummins will be able to speak up, but since you have no replies yet, I'll try to help.

If you're talking about the catalytic converter, It is only a restriction in the exhaust flow. It is in place to trap particulates from the exhaust, making the final exhaust product cleaner for the atmosphere. Only trucks sold in California earlier than 2004 even had catalytic converters.

HOWEVER...
Since your truck is much more modern, it has another filter downstream of the cat called a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), as well as various electronic monitoring systems directly related to your exhaust.
SO...
As far as your turbo and engine are concerned, with the cat removed it will only run more efficiently. Better fuel mileage, cooler exhaust temps, more air flow.
CAVEAT...
Find out if your engine management will change parameters now that your cat is removed, and what negative ramifications that may cause.
SUGGESTION...
1) Check the 4th gen thread for something like: "Will it hurt my truck if I remove the cat."
2) Don't use euphemisms in a place like the Emergency thread and you may find more people who can help you quickly and are inclined to do so.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Usually what gets stolen is the DPF and NOX filters as a unit, many new truck dealers here were having them stolen right off the truck lots, thieves would just go underneath from one truck to the next. So with the DPF and NOX filters missing who knows what happened to the pressure sense lines, one from the front and one from the rear that sense a pressure drop across the DPF and NOX. My main concern might be the high temps that will flow from the open exhaust during regen possible starting a fire and should the CEL (check engine light) come on that will disable the remote starter for warm ups. The fact the DPF and NOX are missing will not affect the turbo at all as when deleted the muffler remains the only other restriction down stream and it's wide open anyway. You will find that the DPF and NOX are not cheap and you may want to look for a used one if wanting to return to stock. My son was quoted $4000 just for the DPF for his 2011, of course thats Canadian so like about
$100 US.