4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cummins going to up HP/TQ to match V8s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cummins going to up HP/TQ to match V8s?

I knew Ford's 6.7L had quite a bump to HP and Torque, just saw that the 2011 Duramax is in the 390/750 range as well. Anyone read or heard that Cummins will up the power too? I see the 6.7ISB 325HP model has 750ftlb, so the engines are already built and proven. Is it just me or anyone else excited to see???? Even if they don't, I'd take the inline6 over the others.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drivetrain... can't... handle... more... power....
Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
I thought the 6 speed trans was strong?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 PM

I'm sure they could beef up a transmission, seems odd to just leave that gap with the other guys, even if the inline's torque is better, most people hear 650 vs 750, and think bigger is better.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
750 lb/ft of torque doesn't do anyone any good sitting in a service bay.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz

I think I have proved that it can. I tow in the 400 hp 800 tq range all the time. And I am willing to bet that I tow bigger loads then 99% of the people here.

I hope to see a factory power increase soon!!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 AM

I know you have to consider the source, but hasn't the new Ford only dyno'd around 310 HP and 602 ft/lbs @ the wheels? (from the Powerstroke Forum) It's only a numbers game anyway. The Cummins doesn't dyno that much lower in stock form depending on the dyno used.
I'll take a lower rated engine that is proven and reliable over a higher rated unproven drivetrain. But thats just me.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 AM

They likely won't increase the power until they switch over to a SCR system -- which is quite beneficial in that it allows for decreased levels of EGR, higher oxygen levels in chamber, with the results of improved fuel efficiency, decreased soot production, decreased regeneration requirements, etc. All good, very little bad, I wish they would switch already -- which is why I believe that touting the "does not need SCR" is a short-sighted and frankly ignorant advertising campaign.

Oh, give us a heavy duty 8 speed auto while you're at it.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
based on the Motor-Trend test results the Cummins is dang near keeping up.. Especially when you consider the Ford "has" 85 ft/lbs more tq, and the mechanical advantage in 5/6 gears.. Means the Ford should run away from the Dodge.. It didn't happen.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by EKUgrad
They likely won't increase the power until they switch over to a SCR system -- which is quite beneficial in that it allows for decreased levels of EGR, higher oxygen levels in chamber, with the results of improved fuel efficiency, decreased soot production, decreased regeneration requirements, etc. All good, very little bad, I wish they would switch already -- which is why I believe that touting the "does not need SCR" is a short-sighted and frankly ignorant advertising campaign.

Oh, give us a heavy duty 8 speed auto while you're at it.

Here ya' go-

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...peed-automatic
Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 13ALPHA
I knew Ford's 6.7L had quite a bump to HP and Torque, just saw that the 2011 Duramax is in the 390/750 range as well. Anyone read or heard that Cummins will up the power too? I see the 6.7ISB 325HP model has 750ftlb, so the engines are already built and proven. Is it just me or anyone else excited to see???? Even if they don't, I'd take the inline6 over the others.
It is rumored to go up 400/775? when the new 8 speed auto comes. But to get that power I also hear we will have to go to SRC like GM and Ford.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:16 PM

Yeah, but their official press releases said that it is only good to 500ft-lb or so, which obviously is not good enough for our application. The "some diesel pickups" most likely refers to a possible upcoming half ton -- or possibly even a small diesel for the Dakota / Durango. It would be sweet, though, and from everything that I have read, we should all be writing Chrysler incessantly demanding SCR, complete with its lower EGR requirements, lower soot production, lower DPF regeneration requirements, improved power density (as a result of lower EGR and higher in chamber oxygen concentrations), and improved fuel efficiency. While they're at it stop with the in cylinder dosing for DPF regeneration as well. I'm not a big fan of fuel dilution in my oil.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
With an 8 speed tranny you just don't need that kind of power. We have plenty of Hp/TQ. I vote for more fuel economy in the new trucks. All the Ford stuff is just hype. They are not getting the fuel economy the magazines claimed either but it is better than the 6.4 and about par with the 6.0 hunka junka. They aren't putting any more power to the wheels than the new 6.7trucks so who cares what Ford or Chevy says. All a bunch of blah-blah-blah.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by EKUgrad
Yeah, but their official press releases said that it is only good to 500ft-lb or so, which obviously is not good enough for our application. The "some diesel pickups" most likely refers to a possible upcoming half ton -- or possibly even a small diesel for the Dakota / Durango. It would be sweet, though, and from everything that I have read, we should all be writing Chrysler incessantly demanding SCR, complete with its lower EGR requirements, lower soot production, lower DPF regeneration requirements, improved power density (as a result of lower EGR and higher in chamber oxygen concentrations), and improved fuel efficiency. While they're at it stop with the in cylinder dosing for DPF regeneration as well. I'm not a big fan of fuel dilution in my oil.

It said over 800ft-lb. Is there another story somewhere?? I hope 800+ is right.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:43 PM

Drivetrain CAN handle the power. I have friends running around on their 170 tunes -all the emissions junk and they have 70k+ on their trucks with no problems, not even tranny issues. One of them has been sled pulling with his multiple times as well. Enough said

Quick Reply: Cummins going to up HP/TQ to match V8s?