4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

check out my SOOT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out my SOOT!!!

My truck is a cab and chassis 3500 with 15,000 miles. So it has urea. I bought the cab and chassis with urea in hopes this would be minimized but guess not. I use this truck to run around town looking at jobs, long highway trips, and pulling my skid steere, plowing and hauling materials. This truck sees it all. I would delete it but I live in mass, and prefer to keep my warranty cause i have 0 luck with vehicles. Im pretty disapointed as I had high hopes for this truck. What should I be doing with this. Clean everything out / bring to dealer maybe something wrong. Im open to suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails check out my SOOT!!!-0217121558.jpg   check out my SOOT!!!-0217121600a.jpg   check out my SOOT!!!-0217121559.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 04:40 PM

I have less miles on my 2012 at 2,200 mi. I had to remove the crossover exhaust pipe to install the GDP 2 mcg fuel filter and big line kit. There was soot falling out of the EGR pipe I have everything except the programmer to do the delete. After seeing your photos at 15k I have to get this done. I will photograph the intake parts with 2,200 miles and then compare them to your soot at 15000. I am concerned about warranty also.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 PM

kurt 1 good thing for you is there is no emissions testing in vt, i believe. that alone would help make my decision. these trucks are so expensive and so finicky. i really think i may just buy an older 5.9 stick. i have a 94 ford cf7000 with a cummins. truck is rated for 26klbs and get 1 mpg less than my 11 empty.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:04 PM

I can do a full delete because they don't test emissions over 8500# in VT. Yea, paid close to 50k for the Laramie. Keeping the first gen W350 5 speed gets over 20 mpg. My AMG NHC250 Cummins gets 8 mpg and it's 855 cubic inches.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the urea is only injected into the exhaust downstream of the turbo and not into the motor so it would not have prevented the soot build up
Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 AM

I understand that, but i thought in theory that having urea was supposed to reduce the amount of egr being used. are these trucks recirculating the same amount of exhaust gas?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM

i showed the pics to my friend that owns the dealership near me. he had the diesel tech guy call me. he said i could clean it but suggested i didnt. he basically said to drive it until i get codes saying the egr is not working then bring it in and they will replace it under warranty.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
bluesurf:

I would like to thank you for posting the pictures of the soot problems with your Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Cab&Chassis. I am very sorry to see the problems you are having Sir! Many of the new DTR members here that are considering one of these new trucks owe members like you and Busboy a debt of gratitude for exposing these soot problems on the trucks. The Dodge Dealers here where I live are seeing ALOT of these same problems as you and Busboy have clearly shown and IMHO,.....it is a BIG problem. What compounds all of this is the fact that some members cannot do the DPF deletes due to living in states that have strict diesel emission laws.

-------
John_P
Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 PM

John, no problem, I will keep this updated as time goes on. although I am not sure how long I will keep this truck. Between the poor mileage, lack of power when empty and all the soot related problems. time will tell. I'm still not sure how to feel about the tech response of run it till it throws codes, gets all plugged up or dies. On the other side i love the trans and how everything is connected like the EB, and the trailer brakes. I wish i lived somewhere else i would delete no problem, but dot is always around and i cant afford the fines they could impose.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesurf
John, no problem, I will keep this updated as time goes on. although I am not sure how long I will keep this truck. Between the poor mileage, lack of power when empty and all the soot related problems. time will tell. I'm still not sure how to feel about the tech response of run it till it throws codes, gets all plugged up or dies. On the other side i love the trans and how everything is connected like the EB, and the trailer brakes. I wish i lived somewhere else i would delete no problem, but dot is always around and i cant afford the fines they could impose.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks bluesurf! I look forward to your updates.

I also find the "tech responses" from Dodge/Chrysler interesting on the soot build-up issue. To be honest, I really do not think they have a good "fix" other than the deletes and they can't tell customers to do that due to the federal government breathing down their necks! Like you, I also wonder about other "internal" damages to the engines. We already know the soot will eventually accumulate in the turbo and around the shaft to eventually overwhelm the shaft and break it! I have already seen about six of those.

Good luck to you Sir!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 AM

it is not only dodge, good friend of mine has a towing business and runs many large trucks but also has 10 new f450. out of the 10 trucks in 30k miles everyone of them has needed a new radiator, 2 trucks have needed new turbos, and 3 trucks have blown motors. the valves keep shattering. so one can imagine that the other 7 may blow too unless they change out the bad parts. I wish we could simplify things instead of making everything so complicated. I am really starting to understand how epa and carb or ruining our country's manufacturing businesses.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Once again I'll bring this up..(not that it will do any good): Deleting a 6.7 makes improves its reliability and longevity. That shouldn't be reason to void the warranty, rather the opposite. Ironic isn't it?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 PM

Thanks for posting. This is so disappointing to see whats happening inside this engine. Having years of technical backgound I dont believe there is anything outside of the delete that can save this engine from choking itself. I live in California and have to go through smog tests. There is no way I could get away with it. This is a real bummer.

Vinnie
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 PM

We have 2 Cab and Chassis truck that are 08's and have been 100% stock since new, they now have about 350,000kms(220,000miles), have never had a single engine related problem until just recently(dpf
worn out). The EGR is bad but the fact is it still allows most engines to live a long life, despite looking like that. Why did you remove the intake? We're you having problems? Those pics are "normal" for a engine with egr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-29-2012, 12:05 AM

What if you were to due a minimal EGR delete with the Smarty jr.. Would that atleast keep the EGR light off and the engine clean?

Quick Reply: check out my SOOT!!!