4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Carrier Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Carrier Bearing

Probably will be needing a new one soon. Can't seem to find one locally. Everyone is out of stock and says they don't see where any will be coming in soon. Anyone have any idea about where I can get one online and what part #?

This is for the '12-3500 4X4
Old 03-23-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAM 40053306 if you can find it. Slotted AAM 40053305 if you can't, this is what I used on my Mega a while back. Here a a couple links, IIRC I used Denny's:

Driveshaft and Driveline Parts > PARTS - AAM American Axle Manufacturing > DRIVESHAFT CENTER BEARING - AAM DODGE

40053306 AAM Dodge Driveshaft Center Support Bearing 1555 - Drivetrain America
Old 05-07-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced 3 carrier bearings within about 8 months and finally had enough. The first time it went I was out in the bush and had to drive the truck home and it roughed up the shaft pretty bad and the dealer just pressed a new bearing over the damaged section (still on warranty). Not surprisingly that didn't last that long and the second time they replaced it they said they replaced the drive shaft but I'm sure they didn't, not many new parts have rust on them. Needless to say the 3rd time it blew apart I had a 5" aluminum one piece shaft built and it has about 210000 km's on it now without even changing a u-joint.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Nice

How much did that run you ?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:15 AM

$800 Canadian, taxes in, shipped. That included the new slip yoke and flange as well. It's 5" seamless pipe and foam filled, there is absolutely no vibration or noise and the difference in power to the ground was actually very surprising. The stock drive shaft had a lot more flex/twist I guess because the new one feels like the wheels are much more attached to the gas pedal.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollin'_Coal
$800 Canadian, taxes in, shipped. That included the new slip yoke and flange as well. It's 5" seamless pipe and foam filled, there is absolutely no vibration or noise and the difference in power to the ground was actually very surprising. The stock drive shaft had a lot more flex/twist I guess because the new one feels like the wheels are much more attached to the gas pedal.
Can I ask where you order it from?

Did you supply measurements or did they have it already?

Good deal, imo for reliability
Old 05-07-2016, 11:30 AM

I ordered it from Pats Driveline in Surrey BC (Vancouver area if you're not from around here). They asked me to measure from the center of the bolts on the u-joints and it was a perfect fit. A few other shops told me it was too long and they wouldn't build it but Pat's didn't even hesitate, they put it on the bus and I had it in a couple days. I'm fairly certain they said it had a lifetime warranty and the u-joints are a 5" Spicer life-line they use in 5 tons and dump trucks, it should never break. I am now running a front shaft they built as well, can't afford for my truck to breakdown in the bush 3 hours from the closest dealer.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollin'_Coal
I ordered it from Pats Driveline in Surrey BC (Vancouver area if you're not from around here). They asked me to measure from the center of the bolts on the u-joints and it was a perfect fit. A few other shops told me it was too long and they wouldn't build it but Pat's didn't even hesitate, they put it on the bus and I had it in a couple days. I'm fairly certain they said it had a lifetime warranty and the u-joints are a 5" Spicer life-line they use in 5 tons and dump trucks, it should never break. I am now running a front shaft they built as well, can't afford for my truck to breakdown in the bush 3 hours from the closest dealer.
I've used Pat's Driveline here in Edmonton for various projects over the years and always been very pleased with what I've got from them.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:12 AM
Just a plain ole guy

That think is crazy long. I'm actually in the process of changing u joints. i have not found a place I can get a carrier bearing everywhere I look is out of stock. I've also heard that a one piece driveshaft will cost ya several thousand US Dollars. I've thought about a small thread about this u joint experinece. Nothing has gone right. They are the kind that you have to heat and let the gooey stuff ooze out. Did all that but still a beast to press out and back in. Man, whatever happened to the good ole days where you can have a spare in the tool box and tap one out on the shoulder of the road with a hammer and a socket. i really expected them to be in worse shape. I haven't added yet that in the last few weeks, i sometimes hear that old u joint pop when dropping it into get. Oh well. It'll be finished today and at least I'll have u joints that I can lube.

I've ready where it looks like all carrier bearing for this truck has some built in wobble. So how Much is ok and how much can you judge is ok by hand wobbling it. We'll see what this does I guess.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Just completed the u joint replacement. As said above, didn't do the carrier bearing, couldn't get my hands on one. So far this seems to have fixed my issue. No more vibration at 70, no shimmy on a hard takeoff, and super quiet when dropping it into gear.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:33 PM

When mine went the first time it fully grenaded. The shaft was running metal on metal sitting in the bottom of the carrier support bracket. The bearing races flew apart and the rubber was mostly gone by the time I got stopped and pulled over. Surprisingly the truck still drove near perfect, the stock drive shaft was incredibly well balanced and it made it to the dealer like that. I didn't look at any off the shelf replacements when I had mine built but a few thousand $$ seems excessively overpriced. Even more so for those of us north of the border.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Pats in Surrey is a great shop. Had a 1 piece done for the 05. Phil asked me what the center to center was, and hung up. Next evening I got a call that there was freight at the airport for me.

New shaft complete with yokes and joints, $650 cdn. You don't get better service than that.