Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/)
-   -   buying new 2012 cummins (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/buying-new-2012-cummins-300824/)

macguy 02-22-2012 08:24 PM

buying new 2012 cummins

I'm scheduled to take delivery of a new 2012 ram 2500 6 speed auto 4x4 this Saturday. I've hear some horror stories about this new motor with the EGR. I do mostly highway and can still change decision to new Ford which uses urea. Which will get me better fuel economy (mostly unloaded driving 40 miles each way daily to work)
And which will last the longest over time?

I've had small cars which I dont like, and need something excellent in snow, powerful on steep highway hills, and 20mpg highway.

Grand Geek 02-22-2012 10:08 PM

Hate to say it.. If your not hauling or towing.. a SUV can get 25mpg and ride great and handle snow better.. I love my new cummins.. Not sure you should be expecting 20 mpg out of one.

Beast2B 02-22-2012 11:46 PM

Bone stock running empty with just a hard tonneau cover I see 16-17 commuting 65 miles a day with some elevation change. I mention the elevation because I see about 1mpg better running empty on flat ground. 65mph, 60 of the miles cruise control on the freeway. I think the safe statement is that these newer emissions laden trucks are not good commuters and DO NOT like to idle. Work them hard and they run hotter and cleaner.

Stargeezer 02-23-2012 03:29 AM

Running highway miles each day IS the perfect prescription for the Cummins. Every problem about the emissions clogging up is related to short-tripping the truck (like I do). If it doesn't get to temp and have the opportunity to "burn" the soot out, it just builds up.

If you want a little comparison/contrast with the ford, check out RV.net towing vehicle section. They are having all kinds of issue with the high pressure pump/injectors getting just a little water and self destructing to the tune of $10,000 non warranty.

As for going the distance, I have friends with early 6.7s that have 300-500k miles. Its all about doing the maint. Frankly, the idea of 7,500 miles oil changes is a joke with these EGR equipped trucks, and all of them have EGRs, unless they've fallen off.

If you are keeping the truck for the long haul, after you've racked up enough miles to be comfortable in doing so, deleting the EPA excessive baggage is worth the cost and work involved. You'd also want to check local smog inspection rules.

Personally speaking, I just did the deletes and the changes have been remarkable. I did it to make the truck live a long, clean life. As we've been doing the work a bit at a time over the past two weeks, I've been able to experience the changes each piece that I deleted made. I also discovered that my EGR cooler was leaking and had gone undetected. From what I understand, this small, almost imperceptible seep would have turned into a major leak flooding the inter-cooler, intake horn, intake plenum and head/cylinders - resulting in the destruction of the motor.

Now if that had happened when I was under 100k, it would have been covered under the warranty, but over 100k and its all my baby. I will not ever have to be concerned with this after the past two weeks efforts.

Stargeezer 02-23-2012 03:41 AM

double post - sorry guys

macguy 02-23-2012 05:30 AM

[QUOTE=Stargeezer;3081521]Running highway miles each day IS the perfect prescription for the Cummins. Every problem about the emissions clogging up is related to short-tripping the truck (like I do). If it doesn't get to temp and have the opportunity to "burn" the soot out, it just builds up.

If you want a little comparison/contrast with the ford, check out RV.net towing vehicle section. They are having all kinds of issue with the high pressure pump/injectors getting just a little water and self destructing to the tune of $10,000 non warranty.

As for going the distance, I have friends with early 6.7s that have 300-500k miles. Its all about doing the maint. Frankly, the idea of 7,500 miles oil changes is a joke with these EGR equipped trucks, and all of them have EGRs, unless they've fallen off.

If you are keeping the truck for the long haul, after you've racked up enough miles to be comfortable in doing so, deleting the EPA excessive baggage is worth the cost and work involved. You'd also want to check local smog inspection rules.

Personally speaking, I just did the deletes and the changes have been remarkable. I did it to make the truck live a long, clean life. As we've been doing the work a bit at a time over the past two weeks, I've been able to experience the changes each piece that I deleted made. I also discovered that my EGR cooler was leaking and had gone undetected. From what I understand, this small, almost imperceptible seep would have turned into a major leak flooding the inter-cooler, intake horn, intake plenum and head/cylinders - resulting in the destruction of the motor.

Now if that had happened when I was under 100k, it would have been covered under the warranty, but over 100k and its all my baby. I will not ever have to be concerned with this after the past two weeks efforts.[/QUOTE

macguy 02-23-2012 05:37 AM

Where I live they don't check for smog, just visual. Can I just disconnect EGR electrical connection? And if so, how does it affect dpf.
I had a 2009 suburban 1500 which was underpowered and barely got 17mpg. Then I went to 2011 vw touareg TDI. Plenty of power and 27mpg, but it's too small and too quiet.

Stargeezer 02-23-2012 09:03 AM

Doing the unplug will shut down the EGR, but you will get CEL and some go into "limp mode" right away, some never do. The reason's unclear.

Just my opinion, but if your swapping rides that often, I'd not do a thing. Losing the warranty can really hurt the trade-in value and there's not enough time/miles to reach payback for deletes expense in a couple years.

One last thought, the exhaust note is a LOT different after you delete. The OEM exhaust is full of CATs, DPF, NOX, plus an unneeded muffler. It's quiet. Ohhh how it comes to life after you get rid of that stuff.

Good luck with the new truck - they are the sweetest ride I've ever owned.

macguy 02-23-2012 08:12 PM

I found another truck on dealers lot, but this is a laramie with 6 speed manual. liked this better, but would it produce better mpg on highway?

Busboy 02-24-2012 08:28 AM

I have always said... the only way to guaranty you will never have an automatic transmission problem is.... to buy a manual. I wish I had bought a manual already on this 2011 and I haven't had a problem yet.:(

T210DRVR 02-25-2012 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by macguy (Post 3081390)
I'm scheduled to take delivery of a new 2012 ram 2500 6 speed auto 4x4 this Saturday. I've hear some horror stories about this new motor with the EGR. I do mostly highway and can still change decision to new Ford which uses urea. Which will get me better fuel economy (mostly unloaded driving 40 miles each way daily to work)
And which will last the longest over time?

I've had small cars which I dont like, and need something excellent in snow, powerful on steep highway hills, and 20mpg highway.

If you are committed to buying a truck I'd suggest a gasoline engined one for the mission you describe. Diesel trucks used to get better fuel economy and that was a good reason to consider one. If you get one I'd suggest a Chevy. Everyone I've talked to about the Hemi says they are real strong but not so good on fuel economy. I don't know if Dodge has a non-Hemi engined model, but if they do I'd consider it.

A diesel will probably have better resale, but I don't think that tilts the scale in favor of the diesel. If your mission is heavy towing then the diesel is the clear
choice.

Twenty years ago I wouldn't have given the same advice as the first gen engine was almost bullet proof and got good mileage. I've seen just a bit above 20 MPG on my deleted 6.7 but that was under almost optimum conditions. Typically at 70 MPH I'm more like 18 MPG but the fact that I'm a 4X4 Dually is a bit of an economy penalty.

torquefan 02-25-2012 11:43 AM

The fuel economy on the 1500 Hemi has actually improved greatly in the last couple of years, since they developed that variable displacement. I would consider one now for my next truck. The Ecoboost powered F150 looks pretty good too.

SOhappy 02-27-2012 01:23 PM

Just got back from a 300 mile round-trip running empty up over several 8% mt. passes, snow, wind, 4wd some of the time, 50-60mph. Got 18mpg with the EGR unplugged (over 20mpg on the flats).

BTW, made the same trip last year in my '03 5.9 under similar conditions and got 24 mpg.

ssandlin 02-28-2012 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan (Post 3082362)
The fuel economy on the 1500 Hemi has actually improved greatly in the last couple of years, since they developed that variable displacement. I would consider one now for my next truck. The Ecoboost powered F150 looks pretty good too.

I'll second this. My wife's 2011 1500 4x2 gets an honest hand calculated 19mpg +/- a little depending on wind and terrain at 70 mph.