4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Break In

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break In

New truck should be here next week, just wondering what everyone else has done for a break in period. Do you put on a few miles before hooking up to a load or just hook up and go?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Your owners manual will explain everything and keep you from voiding your warranty, enjoy the new ride...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:31 PM

take it out and run the snot out of it.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I know the article is the mostly for bikes but all 4 stroke principals are the same. i have done several engines this way and all are still running great.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Put 500 miles on it to break in the rearend. Then do go hook to it and pull whatever you want, however you like, just don't lug then engine. The engine is ready to go from day one.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brookster
Your owners manual will explain everything and keep you from voiding your warranty, enjoy the new ride...
x2. The owners manual is your best reference. There are a thousand opinions out there about how you should do it. Not all of them are good advice. Let the folks who designed it tell you how to break it in. Then, no argument when it's warranty time.

I checked out that site from motoman- no way would I throw away a warranty on a new truck based on the word/experience of one man. A person can say anything- let him back his opinion up with a warranty of his own.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:13 PM

they will never know how you broke your engine in for warranty
Old 06-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tacomaman87
they will never know how you broke your engine in for warranty
You might be surprised how much info about your driving is stored in that thing...and is being communicated via the GPS if you have that option...
Old 06-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ramtradxb
You might be surprised how much info about your driving is stored in that thing...and is being communicated via the GPS if you have that option...
Sounds like the Big Brother / Obama upgrade option.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Glock Guru
Sounds like the Big Brother / Obama upgrade option.
Be glad you don't have a GM with the "ONSTAR" system.

Originally Posted by Spooler
Put 500 miles on it to break in the rearend. Then do go hook to it and pull whatever you want, however you like, just don't lug then engine. The engine is ready to go from day one.
One thing for sure, get the break-in oil out of that truck before you start towing anything of substance.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 AM
"DTR's Wormiest Member"

Originally Posted by ramtradxb
This I find hard to believe. Knowing how gps systems work and working daily with ECM's. next your going to tell us that there are hidden cameras on the truck and watch us while we are driving.

Yes there is a lot of information that is stored on the ECM and can be retrieved but not through the gps. as for as them being able to tell that you pulled to big of a load before your break-in period was up, not likely.

Talk to any diesel head and they will tell you to break it in like you are going to drive it daily.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by roger.t
This I find hard to believe. Knowing how gps systems work and working daily with ECM's. next your going to tell us that there are hidden cameras on the truck and watch us while we are driving.

Yes there is a lot of information that is stored on the ECM and can be retrieved but not through the gps. as for as them being able to tell that you pulled to big of a load before your break-in period was up, not likely.

Talk to any diesel head and they will tell you to break it in like you are going to drive it daily.
To a certain extent my comment was tongue-in-cheek - altho I know for a fact that my On-Star GM vehicle knows a heck of a lot about where I go and what I do... And I also know that the speed at which we drive any Chrysler with the My-Gig system is also known/stored. Do they know how big a load we're pulling - no...but then those **** cameras might have a shot at it.
As for breaking in - I've broken in every new vehicle I've ever had per the mfr's directions, and haven't regretted doing so yet. True, that's only been five diesels, with the rest being gassers - but those five diesels haven't given me a bit of trouble related to that yet.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:36 PM

I agree that the owners manual where you should look, but problems can be had if you baby your pickup too much (especially 6.7 owners). In my opinion, you should work it pretty hard, because the sooner it gets "broken in" the sooner you can start getting better mileage.

On mine (4500 miles to date) I put a 6500 lb trailer on and pulled it for a 500 mile trip starting when the pickup only had 200 miles on it. This may have been a little early for the rear end, but the load wasn't huge. Needless to say, my pickup still isn't and won't be broken in for quite a while, but I'm just gonna do what i can to speed up the process.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
The Guru

Hook-up a heavy trailer and go find a big steep hill. Best way to breakin the motor. I hooked up my RV at 400mile on the truck. No issues. The engine oil sure getting dirty fast with this truck. The manual states that their is no breakin period for the 6.7L engine. What ever you do, no babing the truck and soft footing it. The engine wants to be worked, the harder the better.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:19 PM

Any and all motors should be run hard from day 1. Ask any motor builder. driving it slow or easy is the worce thing you can do.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Banned

It's like a wife. If you don't beat her from the beginning she will complain when you start later.

Quick Reply: Break In