4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blow head already? 8,757 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pind
Staarma, if the truck weight is pushing the engine mechanically through the drive line, it can and will over rev, electronic or not. In this case brute force wins every time.

I have seen electronically governed pushrod engines bend pushrods repeatedly due to over rev conditions. Took us a while to figure it out,and what was happening. As it turned out, these trucks were coming in to a load/unload point on a steep decline, and the weight would end up pushing them too hard. The drivers weren't paying attention, and chaos would result. We probably went through 5 or 6 sets of push tubes before one of us was there to actually witness what was going on.

It was a simple case of brute force vs electrons screaming "No don't do that". Brute force wins every time.
You're right and I'm wrong. I kept thinking the driver was in control.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Funny thing, when all that push tube chaos was happening, I could have sworn the drivers were in control too...
Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to close the topic with the end result.
The engine was replaced and they threw in a new turbo just in case. Unfortunately there was no conclusion for the problem. They simply noted the damage and replaced the parts under warranty.

I was able to speak to the technician who worked on my truck and he said bluntly: "It was either driver error which caused the over rev and damage or it could have been an unseen reason for the failure and then engine damage occurred after. Either way it cant be proven so we just left it at that."

Their first concern was if I had flashed the ECU with a programmer, once they found it was not tampered with they approved the repairs under warranty.
Just out of curiosity I asked the Tech about his view on emissions deletes and the "warranty friendly" sims delete. His response was kinda funny but also not surprising (paraphrasing): "Don't mess with any of that crap, if you continue to use it as its intended (as a tow vehicle) you wont have any problems with the emissions and should have a problem free truck for 200k+ miles. The people that reprogram the ecu or use the truck for grocery getting/ short commutes are the ones that come in often for repairs."