4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

DEF Quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEF Quality

Yesterday while moving a kid off to college pulling a trailer, message comes up DEF system needs service contact dealer, followed by a second message 150 miles to 5 MPH Max! Luckily we were near by and able to off load the trailer and find a near by dealer with 52 miles to 5 MPH Max.

Long story short, had to leave the truck over night and most of today. Dealer reported the the code was def contamination and that the tank and system had to be drained. Dealer asks what type of DEF do I use and says that they are having many trucks and Jeeps coming in with same condition and that most people are saying the they had used a store branded DEF or something other than Mopar, saying that some of the DEF being produced is if low quality. Sounded strange to me except with 45,000 miles on the truck I had always used Blue Def until the day before I left I stopped at my local NAPA to purchase another and they don't carry Blue Def anymore, they carry NAPA brand DEF and that's what I bought and put in.

Long story getting longer, picked the truck up today, no parts replaced dealer just drained the DEF tank and system refilled with Mopar DEF cleared the codes drove home 300 miles no issues.

I have done some research in the down time and finding out that the trucks DEF system is very sensitive to the percentage of urea to water ratio and that DEF is somewhat vulnerable if not transported stored properly especially if exposed to direct sunlight and or temperatures over 90*F

How is a guy going to know what you are getting when go buy some DEF if that's the case?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
You need to get yourself a UREA Refractometer which tests percentage of urea in DEF, 32.5% is the required concentration for DEF fluid. Degraded quality will cause CEL to come on. Amazon has them for reasonable price. This is the one I use, OTC 5025 Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Refractometer. Never ever store DEF fluid in your truck during the hot summer months since it will degrade very fast at temperatures over 100 degrees.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:48 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
We had a driver put diesel in the DEF tank a few weeks ago but did NOT start the engine.

Our fleet mechanic showed up with enough distilled water to fill the tank up, then drain it. Then refill and drain again. After that he added new DEF and said your good to go.

It does seem the street versions of DEF systems are much more prone to issues. Our machines run Tier 4 final Cummins motors but other than driver issues we havent had many.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:08 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It's odd some have issues and others have tens of thousands of miles and have never purchased Mopar Def and have never had an issue. A refractor is a great tool to have as Big Iron stated.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
We had a driver put diesel in the DEF tank a few weeks ago but did NOT start the engine.

Our fleet mechanic showed up with enough distilled water to fill the tank up, then drain it. Then refill and drain again. After that he added new DEF and said your good to go.

It does seem the street versions of DEF systems are much more prone to issues. Our machines run Tier 4 final Cummins motors but other than driver issues we havent had many.
He was lucky he didn't start engine. If the diesel went into injector he would be looking at a few thousand to replace every component in the DEF system. The first thing I do when a customer comes in with SCR system codes is test the DEF fluid for fuel. They often tow their truck out after they are told what it will cost. So never ever let your friend or your wife use your truck when the DEF tank or diesel tank needs to be filled. It seems that is the main reason they give me to why diesel fuel was in their DEF tank.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback

Question...........how in the world---given the size of the diameter of any diesel nozzle (whether standard or large size) was diesel fuel introduced into the DEF tank given the size of the opening of any DEF tank?

Sabotage?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:14 PM

BigIron70, I am taking your advice and ordering a refractometer.

When testing Def is their any tolerable percentages above or below 32.5%?
Old 08-09-2017, 01:46 PM

From what I read it's +/- 1.5% and that's mainly for gauge accuracy.

My refractormeter shows up today, I purchased for piece of mind rather than paying the dealers price for DEF. Not sure I really saved any money as I paid $80 for the tool, haha. Sometimes I wonder about my logic, lol.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Local dealer tells me that some people were buying this in bulk and storing it, and NOT to do that. They said the shelf life of the DEF wasnt very long. Also was told to run the DEF tank until almost empty before refilling it as to not mix good in with possible weak DEF.

I am considering buying one, but this is actually keeping me from doing so.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
They said the shelf life of the DEF wasnt very long.
I heard that also, but have yet to find dates on Blue Def boxes.
Back to morning brew . . .
Old 08-10-2017, 09:35 AM

Most use a code, it's specified on a bunch of web sites. I don't know why they can't just put a simple date on it. But the API/ISO code is a standard format listed on most boxes.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by gsbrockman
Question...........how in the world---given the size of the diameter of any diesel nozzle (whether standard or large size) was diesel fuel introduced into the DEF tank given the size of the opening of any DEF tank?

Sabotage?

Good question considering one is 17mm and the other 22mm I believe.

Being a jobsite and a busy one at that someone was parked in front of the fuel container bin so the driver grabbed a empty def container and filled it with diesel. When 14 framers, joisters, sheeters, stackers, fascia guys and god knows who else you do what you have to do to keep down time to a minimum. I

So clear Diesel in a DEF container with a person under the gun to go go go he put the DEF hose where he had 100 times before.

In the end there was no damage and little cost, unlike when another one of our drivers put DEF in with the Diesel and went back to work.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:58 PM

I recently spoke with a guy who works for a company that produces DEF. He told me that there are two main companies that produce DEF. From there its just repackaged and relabeled.
I don't know the guy that well, but he seemed to know the industry pretty well.
That aside, I have a buddy who owns a 2016 Duramax. Every time he puts anything other than GM DEF in his truck it throws codes and ends up in the shop. He hates it because GM charges so much more for it.
I have to wonder if each manufacturer isn't getting wise to the game of supplying the maintenance items for their vehicles. It keeps the money in their pocket.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 PM

There can only be so many suppliers of purified cow urine so I would beleive that there may only be two suppliers of DEF.

Wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers are putting a add on chemical in the DEF that does nothing emmisions wise but throws a code if it is not seen by the computer forcing your hand to their more expensive DEF.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With 61,100 miles on my '15, I got a P207F code today. Did not get the "200 miles til 5 mph" warning. Called buddy that works for Dodge dealer and did some research on the forums.
Just go done siphoning about 4.5 gallons out of the DEF tank. I had just filled it yesterday.
Put a new 2.5 gal jug in it (O'Reilly). I have almost always used the TerraCAIR DEF at Rural King. That is what I put in yesterday.
Buddy did tell me that this "could" be related to the SCR recall.

If it were simply contaminated DEF, will the code clear on its own? Engine light is also on.

Quick Reply: DEF Quality