4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Air suspension or standard suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air suspension or standard suspension?

What do you guys think about the long term reliability of the the air suspension offered on the 3500 Ram. I've always seen these things fail years down the road and at GREAT COST to repair. Would you stay with the traditional leaf spring pack or would you add the air suspension option if you were ordering a truck you plan to keep for 10 or more years?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
There is not much to go wrong with a leaf spring, for me the choice would be clear.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:49 PM

I'm currently in the market for a new truck and the dealership may have to order it since I'm looking for certain stuff. In addition to the air suspension recommendations can you also recommend features to get and maybe others that would be a good idea to stay away from.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:00 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
No idea about the new air suspension now offered on the Ram's, but I am happy with the air suspension mod that I did to my truck and sorry that I did not do it many years ago. There is not much that can go wrong on this installation, (maybe new airbags down the road) so very much doubt that it will cause me expensive grief later. The empty load ride comfort is much improved and with a load is not quite a Caddy ride, but close. Another thing, bet that parts from Kelderman will be a LOT cheaper than parts from your dealer.

What if you ordered your new truck with the standard suspension and then later modified it with a Kelderman air suspension on all four corners? For the back you have two choices.

Pardon my curiosity, but what is the price for the air suspension option on the new Ram? Is that for the rear only, or for all four corners?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
No idea about the new air suspension now offered on the Ram's, but I am happy with the air suspension mod that I did to my truck and sorry that I did not do it many years ago. There is not much that can go wrong on this installation, (maybe new airbags down the road) so very much doubt that it will cause me expensive grief later. The empty load ride comfort is much improved and with a load is not quite a Caddy ride, but close. Another thing, bet that parts from Kelderman will be a LOT cheaper than parts from your dealer.

What if you ordered your new truck with the standard suspension and then later modified it with a Kelderman air suspension on all four corners? For the back you have two choices.

Pardon my curiosity, but what is the price for the air suspension option on the new Ram? Is that for the rear only, or for all four corners?
I think the cost to add the air suspension option is a little over 1500 bucks.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought my 16 Ram, there weren't very many Air Suspension Systems around on the Dealer Lots. I looked, and later decided to do what I had done with my 06. I paid $1800.00 to install the Firestone HD Bags, HD Compressor, and in cab controls for the air bags and air hitch.

The Suspension on my truck has overloads top and bottom. I looked at a 16 Ram with the air suspension and found the other truck had a lighter suspension unit in it with the stock air bags.

I only need to run 10 psi on my bags to level the tow and the 4350+ lbs of pin weight I have. I do admit, I need to raise the trailer axle height about 2" to really get level. Will look at that when at Mor/Ryde in Elkhart, IN this summer.

I think the better choice is to install either the Firestone System or Air Safe System as I did with the 06 I had. Never had a problem for 10 years.

Dave
Old 05-04-2017, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by CoastalDav
When I bought my 16 Ram, there weren't very many Air Suspension Systems around on the Dealer Lots. I looked, and later decided to do what I had done with my 06. I paid $1800.00 to install the Firestone HD Bags, HD Compressor, and in cab controls for the air bags and air hitch.

The Suspension on my truck has overloads top and bottom. I looked at a 16 Ram with the air suspension and found the other truck had a lighter suspension unit in it with the stock air bags.

I only need to run 10 psi on my bags to level the tow and the 4350+ lbs of pin weight I have. I do admit, I need to raise the trailer axle height about 2" to really get level. Will look at that when at Mor/Ryde in Elkhart, IN this summer.

I think the better choice is to install either the Firestone System or Air Safe System as I did with the 06 I had. Never had a problem for 10 years.

Dave
Thanks Dave. One reason I was looking at the air suspension was to improve the ride when empty. My current F-350 rides much better with a load and my previous '98 Dodge 2500 with the camper package would really beat on you without a load in the bed.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:43 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

My truck rode horribly when empty on bad roads, so tried the full Carli package. Also went with their long travel airbags on the rear to level the truck when loaded. The bags worked well. Was still not happy with the empty ride so decided to go for the Kelderman package, front and rear. That made a huge difference. OK, when empty it does not ride like a Caddy, but is much better than the Carli and heaps better than stock. The loaded ride comfort level is fantastic. I take my truck on some truly horrible roads and the Kelderman package handles everything very well.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:27 AM

My truck rode horribly when empty on bad roads, so tried the full Carli package. Also went with their long travel airbags on the rear to level the truck when loaded. The bags worked well. Was still not happy with the empty ride so decided to go for the Kelderman package, front and rear. That made a huge difference. OK, when empty it does not ride like a Caddy, but is much better than the Carli and heaps better than stock. The loaded ride comfort level is fantastic. I take my truck on some truly horrible roads and the Kelderman package handles everything very well.
I've seen the simpler Kelderman system for the rear suspension. Seems very interesting. Is that what you have?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:21 AM

I would have loved to go with their 4 link rear suspension but after a long talk with the guys at Kenderman decided to go with their two stage rear suspension due to the fact that in their opinion the empty ride comfort level would not be much different between the two. Also, I already have the Carli rear springs which are softer than the OEM springs. So combine the Carli rear springs with the two stage Kelderman and the empty ride comfort level changes considerably.

Here is what I have on my truck:

https://kelderman.com/shop/2003-2009...air-suspension

https://kelderman.com/shop/air-suspe...air-suspension
Old 05-05-2017, 05:18 AM

I would have loved to go with their 4 link rear suspension but after a long talk with the guys at Kenderman decided to go with their two stage rear suspension due to the fact that in their opinion the empty ride comfort level would not be much different between the two. Also, I already have the Carli rear springs which are softer than the OEM springs. So combine the Carli rear springs with the two stage Kelderman and the empty ride comfort level changes considerably.

Here is what I have on my truck:

https://kelderman.com/shop/2003-2009...air-suspension

https://kelderman.com/shop/air-suspe...air-suspension
NICE!!! I'll be looking into it. Gotta get the truck first and see how it rides with my basic stuff in it. I have a pretty good idea what it's gonna be like though.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was originally was sent to DTR from My I phone, 5 May 17, Never got posted here ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your buying new, my 3500 rood really good, when new. Bumps are rough with heavy suspension as you might imagine. If you don't exceed 3500 lbs in the bed, I don't think any air bags are required.

I don't know now if ordered, if the air suspension is standard or optional.

To keep the ride good, max load air pressure in the rear tires is figured based on load capacity on the tires. The rear tires will carry 12,000 lbs. rear axle is 9500 lbs. So, you only need at max, the air required for 9500 lbs. If you run 80 psi, the ride is terrible and will only wear your tires out in the center.

I run 63 psi in the rears when towing with a full load of fuel (110 gallons) and the trailer pin weight, which varies between 4350 and 4500 lbs.
This based on the actual weight the rear tires are carrying as shown on three pad scale.

The truck is rated at 14,000 lbs GVW. That does not equal the load capacities of the front and rear axle together which is 15,500 lbs. Don't understand that.

On the scale with the trailer, truck full of fuel, front axle 5600 lbs, rear axle
8440 lbs, trailer axles 14,820lbs. This done in Sept 16. The trailer is a little heavier now.

GCW 28,920lbs. Well below the trucks rating, but 100 lbs over GVW.
Plenty of room with axle capacities.

With the air hitch and Mor/Ryde pin box, you don't feel like your towing anything. Ride is smooth in the cab without excessive noise. Trailer has independent suspension as well.

Kind of got off topic a little, it's all related to ride.

Dave
Sent from my iPhone