4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

air filter plugged message

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
air filter plugged message

Has anyone EVER had the air filter plugged message, and anyone ever have it while deleted? I was recently having lots of black smoke while under power and I checked my air filter after a long trip, it was plugged solid, changed it out and no black smoke since but never a hint of a message for a plugged filter.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Never seen a message like that. I think the owners manual mentions something about not servicing the filter until you get a filter reminder. It's possible I never gave it a chance because I put the S&B CAI on around 25K miles I think.

That didn't last maybe a year or two then I put the stock filter box on with an AMSOIL filter because the mileage was, well, is better.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My deleted 12 with the stock air box used to say service filter any time I stomped on the pedal hard. Usually pretty dirty filter from working out in the bush on dirt roads but consistently had the message when I accelerated hard. Since I put on the S&B a month or two ago, no more messages.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I suspect next to no one ever gets the filter message. I did notice that my filter was slightly oily on the underside and as I start and move my truck about 25 feet out of the garage then shut it off then back in at night I wonder if the intake is picking up the CCV fumes and helping dirty the filter. I'm using the factory air box with Wix filters,
I put the stock filter box on with an AMSOIL filter because the mileage was, well, is better.
Do you find the Amsoil one better than the Wix? I've had trouble getting the Wix ones from Amsoil lately.

My deleted 12 with the stock air box used to say service filter any time I stomped on the pedal hard. Usually pretty dirty filter from working out in the bush on dirt roads but consistently had the message when I accelerated hard. Since I put on the S&B a month or two ago, no more messages.
Did you do the CCV delete also?
Old 09-26-2016, 11:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes, it is their old style Ea Air Filter with nanofiber technology. I've never used the wix filter in the truck, so I can't compare. I use wix in the Aspen though.

Unfortunately, they stopped making them a couple years ago. Not entirely certain why, but it partially had something to do with auto manufacturers not keeping a universal design.

If you want one, I may have an extra to spare. I bought the last case from the local distribution center when they sent out the notifications they were no longer making them. Still have 4 left...and with the 4 year or 100,000 miles they are rated for, I don't think I'll get through all of them any time soon. Shoot me a message if you want one.