4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

67,500 Mile Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
67,500 Mile Service Question

I haven't yet received the 'service required' message in the EVIC yet but am at 65,700 so have just under 2,000 miles to go. We are full-time RVers and are in Rochester, MN, so my wife could go to the Mayo clinic for a hip replacement. We leave here on October 13 and will undoubtedly put a few hundred more miles on the truck before we head back to the southwest for the winter.

My question is this - should I go ahead and order a CCV from Geno's Garage and change the CCV before we leave here, then when the Perform Service alarm sounds just perform the reset procedure and drive on? Geno has the CCV for $78 and local dealer wants $179. He also quoted me $1500 for the EGR cleaning service - a bit steep, I think.

I also know that the EGR is supposed to be cleaned at this time as well. If I only change the CCV for now and clean the EGR when we're back in the southwest, what, if any, damage might I cause to the engine? It's about 1500 miles from here to where our first extended stop will be in New Mexico and would be towing an approx. 14k fiver.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Old 08-11-2015, 10:44 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
i would replace breather filter before the Perform Service comes on. EGR clean is very easy to do, the EGR cooler takes some time. $1500 is very steep, parts would run you around $200. I only charge $500 + parts and I include a turbo clean also. All can be done in just a few hours. Unless they are going beyond just cleaning the EGR and cooler. Cleaning the EGR air flow valve and heater grid if extremely sooted up and boost pressure sensor. The exhaust pressure sensor is another place where soot can cause problems. Long tube that goes up to the T-stat housing where the sensor is mounted. Get yourself a bottle of EGR cleaner and rubber gloves a few small brushes and have at it. Use only water base cleaner nothing flamable to clean parts. Replace EGR gaskets whenever you remove it.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:59 PM

OK, so I won't break anything if I only change the CCV, reset the Perform Service alarm, then clean the EGR when we get south? I may be able to find someone in New Mexico to do the EGR cooler quite a bit cheaper. I can change the CCV and pretty sure I can do the EGR clean, not so sure about the EGR cooler because it looks difficult to remove. Geno's had the EGR cleaning kit for $130 that includes the CCV and all other gaskets.

I just want to be as sure as I can that just replacing the breather filter and not cleaning the EGR right away won't hurt anything. Can't afford to be replacing the truck. Maybe time soon to do deletes - warranty is gone as five years have passed... $1500 would get me a good delete tuner.

Thanks, BigIron,

Bob
Old 08-12-2015, 08:59 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
There is a pressure sensor on valve cover, it will turn on CEL to warn you when filter is plugged. You don't want to wait until then, oil will be pulled into turbo then and cause problems with air intake system getting contaminated with engine oil. Engine run away on extremely plugged breather filter is possible then.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 AM

Thanks! I'll go ahead and get one ordered from Geno's and change the filter before we leave here. I'll clean the EGR when we get where we're going in New Mexico. I'll go ahead and order the kit with filter and gaskets so I'll have them when I clean the EGR.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-14-2015, 07:59 PM

Something to think about is disconnecting the CCV hose from the intake track. Route a longer hose from the CCV down the right hand side of the engine compartment and plug the fitting at the intake. Similar to the open draft CCV on the 5.9's and no worries about oiling up the intake track and turbo.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BobTipton,
Just an FYI. If you do the EGR service and change the CCV early (before you hit 67,500 miles) your truck will give you a warning on the EVIC at 67,500 that it requires service. How do I know this? I changed mine early on my previous truck. Just need to go through the reset process next time you shut it down, easy as that.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by CR3500
BobTipton,
Just an FYI. If you do the EGR service and change the CCV early (before you hit 67,500 miles) your truck will give you a warning on the EVIC at 67,500 that it requires service. How do I know this? I changed mine early on my previous truck. Just need to go through the reset process next time you shut it down, easy as that.
Thanks - I kinda figured it would do that. Went ahead and changed the CCV and it was an easy job. Just to clarify, the reset procedure is key on, depress brake pedal twice, then go pedal twice, key off. Should be reset at next start, correct?

Thanks!

Bob
Old 09-16-2015, 01:38 PM

BobTipton,
Yep, if I remember right that's it. It is either two on the brake and two on accelerator or three and two with the key in the on position. EGR valve and cooler aren't that hard either, just time consuming. I used Simple Green 50/50 mix to clean the valve and cooler, you may want to use full strength if you have a lot of soot, worked great. Just take your time. Good luck with it. A lot cheaper than the dealer if you have the time and reg. tools.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Thanks, CR3500 - if I fail to do it from memory, I'll look it up on Geno's Garage website... I think that's where I saw it initially.

Regards,

Bob
Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 PM

Well, I'm a couple hundred miles past the 67,500 mile mark and still haven't received the 'Service Required' message on the EVIC - I had changed the CCV around 1,000 miles ago but didn't clean the EGR valve or cooler. Is the message mileage based or sensor based? I thought it was based on mileage.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-20-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Did you perform any type of re-set procedure similar to post #9 ?
Old 10-21-2015, 12:20 AM

Gsbrockman - nope, no reset - was gonna do that after the message came up until we get to New Mexico for a month. At that point, was gonna clean the EGR and EGR cooler, then do the reset.

Thanks for the response,

Bob
Old 10-21-2015, 09:02 PM

BobTipton

Interesting, when the "Service Required" came on in mine, it was at the exact time I hit the 67,500 mile mark on the odometer. But that vehicle was a 2008 2500. Have they changed something? I noticed in your signature you drive a 2010 3500. Odd that it didn't indicate.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:10 PM

Apparently they've changed something. I was expecting it to notify me towing our fiver between Beatrice, NE and Lucas, KS. I hit 67500 just before Lincoln, NE. No indicator so they've either changed something or something's not working right. No CEL or anything else. Maybe they changed to a sensor? I'll just keep drivin' it!

Thanks,

Bob

Quick Reply: 67,500 Mile Service Question