4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2011 ram Cummins cranks but won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2011 ram Cummins cranks but won't start.

Hi everyone. I have a 2011 ram 2500 that will crank but won't start. It all started with the truck having a little excess vibration. I assumed it was a clogged injector and poured diesel kleen with octane boost into the tank. I also changed the fuel filter. Same day I took the truck out and all of a sudden lost power and huge clouds of constant white smoke came out the exhaust along with a loud engine knock. I was close to my destination so I pulled into it. When I tried heading back home the truck started it had the vibration and some smoke but when accelerated it lost power and knock started again along with huge smoke clouds then turned off. I tried to start it about 3 times and it started again. Still with knock and smoke I got truck home and after slowly accelerating it to over 50 mph it ran smoother still had knock and smoke just less. When I got home I drained tank twice and got new diesel in it. Unfortunately it still had knock and smoke clouds but now would accelerate itself luckily I had it in park. I drove it to a mechanic about 5 minutes from home still with problems. There they replaced fuel line pressure sensor but now the truck cracks but won't start. So they told me that they were getting the code for camshaft position sensor now. They replaced it and still nothing. Any ideas on how to at least get it started? Thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 08:25 PM

Diesel Kleen not to fond of for these trucks, fuel and DEF is all that is really needed as long as it's good fuel. Lastly, PLEASE tell me you used CETANE BOOST, NOT OCTANE BOOST. Cetane is for diesel, OCTANE for gas. If you put the wrong thing in to feed it you can make your diesel baby very sick even up to the point she pukes up her innards..... has it been making oil by chance????
Old 08-12-2014, 08:28 PM

Yeah sorry it was cetane. No it hasn't been making oil.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 PM

Hmmmm.... is your coolant low? White smoke worries me at this moment.... wish I could hop in mine and driven to you, trying to diagnose thru computer is just armchair quarterbacking sometime..... I wanna help any way I can... let e get my brain turning even tho it's old and slow. Any codes other than camshaft?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Have you checked your lift pump and injection pump for proper pressure?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:53 PM

No active codes. Coolant is fine. I have not checked the pumps but at the dealer they took down tank and checked whole fuel system even flushed it so I assume they checked it
Old 08-12-2014, 08:56 PM

If the sensor was replaced and the cam is set right, fuel pressure is good, make sure the system is primed and no air pockets. Disconnected the batteries for about 15 mins, the n reconnect to see if the ECM reads the new car sensor properly and then try to give her a go. Do you still have your DPF on or did it fall off?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 PM

Dpf is on. I loosened injector line to let air out. I haven't tried to disconnect battery and I took it to a dealer. They are working on it but I haven't told them that I changed the sensors.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:02 PM

The main things that worry me are the "knock".... where is it coming from can you tell? "White smoke" unless it's cold where you are it should only be a little even then....... is your turbo spooling and building psi? Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to give you a place to start so you can fix your baby, I am sure you need it going. Close to Kansas-hoollll by chance??
Old 08-12-2014, 09:04 PM

Ok, yeah don't tell them if you still have warranty....remember "no sir, other than my oil and fuel filter, air filter and little things, all work is done by a dealer to maintain my warranty"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha (evil smile)
Old 08-12-2014, 09:07 PM

Ok, keep me posted on what they say and I will help all I can. Diesel mechanics is my specialty even while I was serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, I found time to play with the militaries crap diesels.. lol
Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 PM

Turbo seems fine haven't checked it out though. Nope not nesr kansas. White smoke is all the time just less when it's cold but u can see it coming out of the exhaust constantly. Warranty is partly why I haven't told dealer about the sensors that were changed.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Hope they check the injectors soon, seems to me like that may be the issue. They should also be able to do a quick test on the compression by simply disabling the fuel system then cranking the engine and listening for a weak cylinder, as a bad injector may have melted a piston.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
Hope they check the injectors soon, seems to me like that may be the issue. They should also be able to do a quick test on the compression by simply disabling the fuel system then cranking the engine and listening for a weak cylinder, as a bad injector may have melted a piston.
I fully agree, this all needs to be done.need to make sure that for some reason this engine may have more damage and might be on its way out.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 PM

They cleaned the injectors and said it was fine.

Quick Reply: 2011 ram Cummins cranks but won't start.