4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2011 3500 c&c will not pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So finally got a call back from from the mass inspection people. I cannot get a waver because the problem I am having is not the problem they are investigating. What I have is a warranty/repair issue. Funny no codes being thrown. ***!!!! Truck is at dealer now and can you guess what they said. We have never seen or heard of this problem in any Of these trucks. Guess I am always the first for everything. Ill update when I actually know what is up.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Dealer has called me back and after road testing it they cannot find anything wrong with the truck. they say they will keep it another day to do more road testing and try to make the monitors ready. they say they do not trust the testing stations equipment or a government agency telling them that the truck is not working correctly. they feel that the equipment used in testing is not compatible with the "NEW DIESELS". but the funny thing is in the other breath they tell me this is a long process because their own scan tool is not compatible with the "new diesels". What gives. am i just in the middle of a giant pissing contest. i appreciate any advice, thanks.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM

I'm so glad I live in a hand-off state like Florida. Hang in there!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM

so after another day of the dealer driving truck around they were able to get one of the monitors to work but not the other. they clearly are sick of driving my truck around making no money so they want to give it back to me to drive around and then bring it back for them to see if the other monitor is ready. they say it needs 27 hours of driving to complete a regen. why is it that nobody else has this problem getting their truck inspected. i am totally confused as to why it is like this. looking for advice here, would you take the truck back or would you make them keep it until it can pass inspection. we have alot of overzealous dot cops around here and i really do not want to deal with them over a rejected sticker while towing my skid steere around. also so much for business link, i have a dodge caliber for a rental car. i thought they were supposed to provide a truck. ***
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM

27 hours for a regen? Sounds like they're blowing smoke up your you know what because they don't have the proper equipment.

If they had the right equipment, they can force a regen. Regardless, I'm confused as to why the truck needs to do a regen. The only purpose for a regen is to clean out the soot, so why is it needed?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 PM

From what I am told it has to do a regen in order for the sensors to "be ready" status. I am with you about the not having the proper equipment. They also have said that it is a problem that dodge needs to address. It has to do with their way of programming. Which I believe is why the EPA/dep is investigating this. So in the end what I have is a truck that is running fine yet will not pass emissions. Due to a computer glitch. I will let you know how this turns out. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM

i got my morning update from the dealer. emissions stuff aside. they will be replacing the front drive shaft and the rear driveshaft bushing. the not so funny thing is they already replaced the front driveshaft 5 months and 5,000 miles ago. because it takes forever to get parts for these trucks they are giving me the truck back with no front driveshaft and the precaution of take it easy cause the bushing is in bad shape. i do appreciate getting the truck back as i need to do some work with it. i thought these were supposed to be tough trucks. the only work this truck sees is i plow 25 driveways and pull a skid steere with attachments once maybe twice a week. i only have 29k on it. advice needed!!! would you keep this truck or would you dump it. it has been down a few different times but in total i have been without it for well over a month's worth of time. thanks for your ideas.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 PM

Sounds like you could impose the lemon law on the dealer and walk away with a new truck paying only the difference in model year and maybe some depreciation depending on the outcome. Sounds like that truck was a friday build before a holiday weekend.

Hope it works out no matter which way you go.

A caliber? Really? I would have been tempted to install a hitch and hook your trailer to it for grins and then take a picture for their reference. What a crock.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 AM

That's funny I thought about doing just that. Ill get another chance next week. Since they got 2 of the three monitors ready I took it back to get inspected but when I got there the three questionable monitors were once again not ready. So the flag has not been lifted on it. So sick of wasting time with this pos. looked into lemon law. In my state it has to be 3 attempts to fix the same problem with a limit of 15k on the ticker. Plus the atty general says since I am a small business I cannot get help from them. Guess I will have to get an atty. also have been assigned a ram case manager again. I feel like my truck was built on the 6 th of may after one hell Of a day partying. Lol
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluesurf
That's funny I thought about doing just that. Ill get another chance next week. Since they got 2 of the three monitors ready I took it back to get inspected but when I got there the three questionable monitors were once again not ready. So the flag has not been lifted on it. So sick of wasting time with this pos. looked into lemon law. In my state it has to be 3 attempts to fix the same problem with a limit of 15k on the ticker. Plus the atty general says since I am a small business I cannot get help from them. Guess I will have to get an atty. also have been assigned a ram case manager again. I feel like my truck was built on the 6 th of may after one hell Of a day partying. Lol
Have you tried a different testing station? Could the existing test station equipment be out of calibration? I know this may sound funny but if the dealer has switched out the sensors and you are not showing and CEL’s or codes on the truck it might be the testing station. I would try another one in the area.
Jim W.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Good advice jim. So what has happened is I failed at the local testing station. Then my truck was flagged this locking me out of ALL testing at the local level. I now have to go through a motorist assistance center. I have tested there 2 times with diff results. I have to pass there and then the flag gets removed and I can get sticker at local level. All in all I have wasted 4 half days going back and forth for testing and 2 mornings to the dealership. It's getting old for sure. Wish I could move to vt and be done with this for good :-)
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM

so here it is the new tow van!! my overnighted parts have finally arrived about 6 days late. they didnt have the car ready for me so i had to take this. well this is great except there are no seats in it. I have two kids that need seats fastened. yay more fn running around. have to go back to get another vehicle. i am so sick of dealing with this. i wish we had 1 good dodge dealer around here. only good dealers are ford. they actually have work trucks to take when your work truck is down. this thing is weird its like a morgue vehicle. maybe i could moonlight for a week or two
Attached Thumbnails 2011 3500 c&c will not pass emissions-resized-tow-truck.jpg   2011 3500 c&c will not pass emissions-resized-plow-van.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get rid of this truck!! Not sure what I would replace it with but NOT a DODGE!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:32 PM

I would love to. It's real hard to trade a new truck with a rejected sticker on it. So far no buy back and I am waiting to hear what the dealer appraised it at. Biggest question is what to buy. Ford 6.2 gas, v10 the diesel. Do I go Chevy? Crappy front end for plowing. Maybe I will just get an older truck when I find the right one.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 AM

So finally got some truth as to what the problem is. In 29,000 my truck has never completed a regeneration, thus never resetting the monitors. The only fix that the engineers at Chrysler have is my heck has to drive my truck @45mph for 45 min and then 75mph for 45 min uninterrupted on the highway. That is like suicide on our highways. So he took my truck out this morning at 4 am. This if it works will only get the monitors to reset so I can get a sticker. They are not addressing why the truck will not regenerate fully. After this weekend I am pretty sure i will be pushing hard for a buy back. I know the service dept will be pushing for the same as they are not making money continually working On a truck with that has no definitive fix. They are trying to get me to buy a 2013 but it would have to be ordered. I just not sure about diesel right now.

Quick Reply: 2011 3500 c&c will not pass emissions