Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/)
-   -   2010 Diesel 2500 with hammering steering (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-engine-drivetrain-2010-up-201/2010-diesel-2500-hammering-steering-305415/)

Whisky Bravo 08-05-2012 05:26 PM

2010 Diesel 2500 with hammering steering

I recently began experiencing this problem where when I am making turns or or on a curve that the steering wheel chatters / hammers. Does anyone have any ideas about this??

SOhappy 08-06-2012 01:50 PM

Are you taking about a noise or feedback through the steering wheel?

Whisky Bravo 08-06-2012 02:56 PM

It was feedback in the stearing wheel which was also felt on the floor. The dealer replaced the left & right front axles with universal joints & the problem is solved.

Tallguy67 08-06-2012 03:21 PM

Pls do t take this as me talking down to you, but have you checked the fluid level? Mine was horrible when I bought it, turned out power steering fluid was low.

Whisky Bravo 08-06-2012 04:06 PM

Yeah... The fluid level was good, and since I have an extended waranty it didn't cost me anything.

SOhappy 08-07-2012 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Whisky Bravo (Post 3123930)
It was feedback in the stearing wheel which was also felt on the floor. The dealer replaced the left & right front axles with universal joints & the problem is solved.

Yup, that would do it. Sometimes bad wheel bearings will feel the same.

Chuck Diesel 08-14-2012 11:29 AM

Steering Issues

I have noticed this too, but it seems to be intermitent. Does anyone know why it would come and go? I also have an intermitent squeak in the wheel somewhere when turning, its fine while driving straight, but with the windows down during a turn at normal speeds I can hear a squeak that is in time with the wheel rotation.

I had my truck in for the steering recall and they said they checked and torqued the steering and there were no other issues. I have since taken it back in for these issues but the **** thing won't do it when I have it in the shop.[verymad] I still have about 10k of warranty left and would like this resolved before it is up.

Any ideas or help is appreciated.

SOhappy 08-14-2012 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Diesel (Post 3125535)
I have noticed this too, but it seems to be intermitent. Does anyone know why it would come and go? I also have an intermitent squeak in the wheel somewhere when turning, its fine while driving straight, but with the windows down during a turn at normal speeds I can hear a squeak that is in time with the wheel rotation.... I still have about 10k of warranty left and would like this resolved before it is up....

Front axle u-joints is my best guess. Take it to a different dealer.