4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'11 1 ton w/ urea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urea is the way to go! If you look to the ag side of the diesel engine business, to get to Tier 4a, CNH and Agco are both going with SCR. Deere is going with CEGR & DPF. No one feels Deere can get to Tier 4b without urea.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we can P** in our fuel tanks, then we'll be talking! Until then, I just want to use diesel only, even if it is ULSD. Burn more fuel to save the environment! And add some other chemicals, too! Off my soapbox now....
Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Im for urea too... like i said before, if urea is involve, there is no EGR to delete...
Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by colekicker
Urea is the way to go! If you look to the ag side of the diesel engine business, to get to Tier 4a, CNH and Agco are both going with SCR. Deere is going with CEGR & DPF. No one feels Deere can get to Tier 4b without urea.
Not even Deere...

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Im for urea too... like i said before, if urea is involve, there is no EGR to delete...
I'm sure there will still be EGR...it's going to take a combination of all technologies to meet Tier 4 Final emissions, at least in the off-road segment. Since I can't find the on-road regulations, I'm not 100% sure on that though

Chris
Old 07-27-2010, 04:13 PM

I know its not a dodge, but i just bought an '11 GMC duramax that has the urea injection. I, for one, like it. Yes, there is still an EGR system but with this setup, there is less egr needed and less regen times. Rumor is 700 miles or so between regens. The def (diesel exhaust fluid used for the SCR) is only 12 bucks for 2.5 gallons from local auto part stores. So, about another 25 bucks every oil change for a more efficient, more powerful engine... ill take it. just my .02
Local dodge dealer told me that all their diesels will have it after '12 also.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM

Where do you buy urea?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Urea is the same as DEF and any auto parts stores, truck stop, or the dealer (about 15 bucks per gallon at the dealer tho) will carry or can order it. This stuff has been used for years on stationary diesel engines and on big rigs.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
Where do you buy urea?
Any truck stop will have it. Cummins northeast has carried it for a while like 8 bucks a gallon or so. I would love a 2012 6.7 with urea get some of that mpg back and have 6 speeds to tow with.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by colekicker
CNH is now in the dumps, no more Cummins engines hellow Fiat diesel. Is that really the way to go??

Ever hear nothing runs like a Deere? Twin turbos coming this fall.

I have absolutly no excitment to have to buy and carry a extra jug of fluid in the truck. I guess that is why I didn't buy the 2011 4500.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:23 AM

In north east texas where i live, i have not seen any DEF refill stations at the diesel pumps. I am not sure what i want to do with a new truck. Been looking for awhile now, 2011 are out, I can drive my powerjoke in the meantime if i choose a 2012. What are the benifits of the SCR?? I would plan on doing full deletes on the 2011.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by dieseloutlaw1
In north east texas where i live, i have not seen any DEF refill stations at the diesel pumps. I am not sure what i want to do with a new truck. Been looking for awhile now, 2011 are out, I can drive my powerjoke in the meantime if i choose a 2012. What are the benifits of the SCR?? I would plan on doing full deletes on the 2011.
SCR allows the engine to produce more NOx heading down the downpipe and the urea reacts with the NOx to control it. This is instead of a lot of EGR to combat the problem. From most reports has a nice effect on mpg but you are paying for the Urea. I have only seen it at fleetpride and cummins northeast.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:57 PM

dumps?

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
CNH is now in the dumps, no more Cummins engines hellow Fiat diesel. Is that really the way to go??

I have absolutly no excitment to have to buy and carry a extra jug of fluid in the truck. I guess that is why I didn't buy the 2011 4500.
I am not sure who gave you your guessformation, but of all test combines in our area in wheat harvest, the only ones that performed acceptable were the CNH with IVECO, not Fiat......Never has been Fiat.
The 8120's and 9120's with Urea are using Tier II with Urea, and meeting requirements for Tier IVa and b. Tier II engines have the torque that you are used to, and have gained more than 26% fuell economy with Urea vs. TierIII. They are running 800-900 degree exhaust temps, while Deere's egr systems are exceeding 1500 degrees. It takes approximately 40 gal. of Urea for each 900 gal. of fuel. Watch for 9770's with a different back end, and a venturi exhaust, and that it a test machine.
JD test 4 wheel drives are having the same heat issues.
As much as I have objected to Urea, it looks to be the best system by far.
BTW. the IVECO's are burning much less fuel than the Deere's we replaced. Not a slam on Deere by any means, but Europe is years ahead of us in diesel technology. I was going to trade 3 8010's this fall to get ahead of Urea inj., but now may wait just to get it.......Did not hink I would ever think that.
The hassle may be worth it for the duel economy, and less fire danger.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD

Twin turbos?? Have they even fixed the problems with their current VVT turbos??

Originally Posted by screagle2
I am not sure who gave you your guessformation, but of all test combines in our area in wheat harvest, the only ones that performed acceptable were the CNH with IVECO, not Fiat......Never has been Fiat.
The 8120's and 9120's with Urea are using Tier II with Urea, and meeting requirements for Tier IVa and b. Tier II engines have the torque that you are used to, and have gained more than 26% fuell economy with Urea vs. TierIII. They are running 800-900 degree exhaust temps, while Deere's egr systems are exceeding 1500 degrees. It takes approximately 40 gal. of Urea for each 900 gal. of fuel. Watch for 9770's with a different back end, and a venturi exhaust, and that it a test machine.
JD test 4 wheel drives are having the same heat issues.
As much as I have objected to Urea, it looks to be the best system by far.
BTW. the IVECO's are burning much less fuel than the Deere's we replaced. Not a slam on Deere by any means, but Europe is years ahead of us in diesel technology. I was going to trade 3 8010's this fall to get ahead of Urea inj., but now may wait just to get it.......Did not hink I would ever think that.
The hassle may be worth it for the duel economy, and less fire danger.
WOW...someone that know's what's going on Good info!

AGCO will also be switching over to Tier IV combines this fall, at least on the Gleaner Transverse R Series combines...I'll know more about that next week when I go to the factory for the introduction.

Europe is YEARS ahead of us in both Diesel technology, and fuel quality, both BIG problems for us on this side of the pond.

SCR is, for today, the ONLY way to meet Tier IV Final...DPF by itself will not do it, Deere knows this, but they are still going ahead with it. Why not strap on an SCR system, gain the efficiency back, and still look into other options for the future?

Chris
Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by rufushusky
SCR allows the engine to produce more NOx heading down the downpipe and the urea reacts with the NOx to control it. This is instead of a lot of EGR to combat the problem. From most reports has a nice effect on mpg but you are paying for the Urea. I have only seen it at fleetpride and cummins northeast.
You also pay for the SCR unit itself, they use vanadium and zeolites mainly in these units and it does add some cost to the powertrain. One nice thing that you stated earlier was the tuning for efficiency. You can add more timing to the engines which does bumps up the NOx, but that can be taken out by the SCR depending upon its efficiency. With diesel prices as expensive as they are, any gain in mpg will eventually pay off the SCR, never the less having a happier engine with better timing and less EGR soot.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by purduepurdy
You also pay for the SCR unit itself, they use vanadium and zeolites mainly in these units and it does add some cost to the powertrain. One nice thing that you stated earlier was the tuning for efficiency. You can add more timing to the engines which does bumps up the NOx, but that can be taken out by the SCR depending upon its efficiency. With diesel prices as expensive as they are, any gain in mpg will eventually pay off the SCR, never the less having a happier engine with better timing and less EGR soot.
Exactly...there is another UREA/SCR thread floating around here where I ran some numbers on mileage and cost to figure out how long it would take to pay for itself...

Chris

Quick Reply: '11 1 ton w/ urea?