4500 / 5500 - Chassis Cab Trucks Talk about your commercial trucks here. We realize there are differences with these compared to the regular pickups, so we have provided a place to discuss the commercial versions only.

Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall

Check here if your truck needs this tie-rod recall. http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp

More info on the recall here: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/30/d...-potential-st/

Too bad I already replaced this tie rod when it broke driving on the highway........
Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 AM

I haven't heard about this yet. Should I be waiting for a recall notice or something. OR should I be calling my dealer to have this done now!!

Joezilla
Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quote from recall:

As NHTSA plainly states, "loss of steering control of the vehicle could increase the risk of a crash." And that's a bad thing.

And to think we pay these people good money..

Joe there is a recall option on the first link, click on it and put in the last 8 of your VIN
Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 PM

I noticed there are 2 recall threads today. Thought I make this suggestion. I have found this site useful in the past. I found they recall information that I wasn't notified in the past and was able to get it done. Hope it helps.

http://www.recalls.gov/
Old 03-12-2011, 07:09 PM

I assume when the dealer changes the tie rod they also have to do a wheel alignment ...
Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 PM

Great! I see my 2008 is on the recall list. I'll make a call to my dealer to setup an appointment. I'll be nervous driving the truck until I can get this fixed.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Quote from recall:

As NHTSA plainly states, "loss of steering control of the vehicle could increase the risk of a crash." And that's a bad thing.

And to think we pay these people good money..

Joe there is a recall option on the first link, click on it and put in the last 8 of your VIN
We are full time RVers and are currently in southern Arizona for the winter. My daughter in Texas just called a day or two ago and said I got a Dodge recall notice in the mail. Looks like I'll be getting this taken care of when we get back to Texas. We should be back in Mesquite by April 1st.

Joe
Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 PM

When you guys go for your recall fix, make sure your dealer can handle the truck on the allignment rack.
My dealer is a 4500/5500 dealer, but could not do my recall because the alignment rack could not handle my truck.
Now I am waiting for them to call me back to find some place that can do the recall replacement and alignment (probably a Sterling/Mack or Peterbilt/Kenworth dealer).
Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FATCAT
When you guys go for your recall fix, make sure your dealer can handle the truck on the allignment rack.
My dealer is a 4500/5500 dealer, but could not do my recall because the alignment rack could not handle my truck.
Now I am waiting for them to call me back to find some place that can do the recall replacement and alignment (probably a Sterling/Mack or Peterbilt/Kenworth dealer).
if the dealer has their head removed from their backside, they would do the recall and sublet the alignment to an alignment shop which follows chrysler protocol for dealers that don't have (or refuse to spend money in the shop to support the rigs they sell) the equipment to complete. this can be done and we have done it when our rack is down for repairs.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Carl Peter
I assume when the dealer changes the tie rod they also have to do a wheel alignment ...
it will not be a full alignment as the tie rod only affects toe. any steering component (or suspension) that is effects the alignment it is procedure to correct that part of the alignment.

all they will do in this case is set toe.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins610
Check here if your truck needs this tie-rod recall. http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp

More info on the recall here: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/30/d...-potential-st/

Too bad I already replaced this tie rod when it broke driving on the highway........
Thanks Cummins610 I entered my vin and yup, my truck needs it done
Old 03-31-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
if the dealer has their head removed from their backside, they would do the recall and sublet the alignment to an alignment shop which follows chrysler protocol for dealers that don't have (or refuse to spend money in the shop to support the rigs they sell) the equipment to complete. this can be done and we have done it when our rack is down for repairs.
I called my dealer today to find out what is going on and they said they have a bunch of trucks like mine that they can not do the recall on and that they are having a fight with Chrysler about subletting it to a large truck maintenance shop. They said they would contact me by tomorrow (not holding my breath) about what they will do.

I know my tie rod end joint is OK, no cracks or anything I can see, but I am now a bit nervious driving it especially on the highway now.

I also got my official Recall Notice in the mail today ... wooopie.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Chapter President

I would doubt that they were having issues with chrysler. the issue is that chrysler warranty only pays a certain amount. if the other shop won't do if for that amount, the dealer is out of pocket OR trying to tell you that you "needed" a full alignment and the difference will be out of YOUR pocket.

so for example, the tie rod pays .8 to change and another .3 to set toe (these are tenths of hours for labor for the tech to get paid). so for simple figures lets say the dealership warranty labor rate is $100 (never have seen one that high for warranty labor rate but only using this number to make the example easier as most warranty labor rates are in the $75- $80 per hour range).

.8 to R&R the tie rod end = $80
.3 to set toe is another $30

big truck shop charges $75 to do a front end alignment cause that is their flat rate. dealership is out $45 and makes NOTHING.

So they are discouraged in getting them done by coming up with some lame excuse because the service director does not have the sack to call the big truck shop service director and work a deal for only setting toe.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Well, it has almost been 2 weeks since I tried to get my recall done at my dealer. I have called them twice in the past 7 days to see what is going on. They keep telling me that they will contact me when they can get sublet the repair out to a large truck shop.
So far I have heard nothing from them, and supposedly there are many more truck owners like me who they said have the same issue.
How much longer should I wait to have this SAFTEY recall done?
It's kind of creepy driving my truck now thinking that the tie rod end might break off and I get into an accident.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:00 AM

got mine done.

Quick Reply: Recall